Broken Headphones, Again

shadetaker

Tribe of Judah Lead Recruiter
My continuing bad luck with headphones is getting to be pretty infuriating now that my latest pair (which I've owned for less than a year) is having serious issues.

I want to ask if anyone here has any idea how to resolve my problem. The issue seems to be something on the order of a crossed wire somewhere between the plug and the headphones themselves.

As it is now, when the plug is fully inserted the audio comes through as very tinny mono sound in both ears. If it is plugged in only partially it comes though more clearly, but again, as mono. In either case, the stereo sound is combined into mono, since both channels come through on both ears. I've already gone to lengths to ensure that it is a problem solely with the headphones, and for once, not a problem with the attached volume slider.

I would also be interested to hear y'all's thoughts on what is the most reliable set of headphones you've used. I'm getting really really tired of spending good money on what are supposed to be good headsets only to have them fail within a year.

Sony MDR7509HD Professional Headphones

Coming from an audio production background as a hobby, I know how frustrating this can be. But I bought these headphones in 2008 and they haven't died on me yet. And because they are Sony, you know that you are getting good quality. Yes, they may be a little expensive but just like anything else, you may have to pay a little bit more.

The main reason you may be going through so many pairs is because of the quality of the wire. As you can see with these, the wires are solid.

I think he needs something with a mic.

Here is what I use.

I bought these because I wanted to replace both my cheap headset and my Logitech z5300 5.1 surround sound speakers.

I took me a while to get weened off the 10" sub.. but they sound amazing (and they should for $130).

The only issue I have developed is that in the right ear headphone one of the speakers has become loose and sounds as if it's farting whenever the bass hits... and I can't return them because I lost the box and the UPS code.

I LOVE that these don't have the idiotic volume and other controls on the wire - the controls are on the left headphone, so you don't even have to get your hand off the mouse.

I am still very impressed with this set.

Last edited:
I recommend against a Headset with mic and grab a standalone usb mic like
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Desktop-Microphone-Black-Silver/dp/B00009EHJV
this mic rocks and has lasted me for many many years. It has excellent quality and I can place it as needed on my desk, it can pick up from across the room if I point it right.
It was always issues with the attached mic on headsets that broke first in my experience.

Once you go standalone mic you have the freedom to pick some real nice cans without being forced down a limited line (ones w/ mic).

My headset recommendation: Grado Prestige Series SR-60i or Sennheiser HD-555

Last edited:
I actually have on of those very usb mics lying around somewhere, so I think I'll combine that with those Sennheiser headphones, since they look comfortable and cost about as much as I can afford right now. Hopefully having the headphones and mic separate will mean less fallibility and easier replacement should one fail.

In related news, my attempt to resuscitate the headset I used before this most recent one by soldering the wires together sans defective volume slider was almost a success. I managed restore the mic and left audio, but right audio just wouldn't work; so much for saving money that way I suppose.

I bought a set of Sennheiser HD 202s from Amazon for $20 and change shipped. I use them when I mow the lawn and they're great. I'd recommend waiting for a sale since they're over $30 right now, though.

I actually have on of those very usb mics lying around somewhere, so I think I'll combine that with those Sennheiser headphones, since they look comfortable and cost about as much as I can afford right now. Hopefully having the headphones and mic separate will mean less fallibility and easier replacement should one fail.

But that's the mic I use, you can't have that...

But that's the mic I use, you can't have that...

Incorrect, I can and will use it. The fact that you've been borrowing it for an extended period of time does not make it yours; you're just going to have to pony up the cash and buy your own mic.

Back