Calvinism & Arminianism

Taran

Earlier tonight, a few folks were asking about the distinctions of these two Christian theological positions. So, here's a comparative difference...

God's Sovereignty
Calvinism - God's sovereignty is unconditional, unlimited, and absolute. All things are predetermined by the good pleasure of God's will. God foreknew because of His own planning.
Arminianism - God has limited His control in correspondence with man's freedom and response. God's decrees are associated with His foreknowledge of man's response.

Man's Depravity
Calvinism - Because of the Fall, man is totally depraved and dead in his sin. Man is unable to save himself and, therefore, God must initiate salvation.
Arminianism - Because of the Fall, man has inherited a corrupted, depraved nature. Through “prevenient grace,” God removed the guilt of Adam's sin. Prevenient grace is defined as the preparatory work of the Holy Spirit, given to all, enabling a person to respond to God's call of salvation.

Election
Calvinism - Before the foundation of the world, God unconditionally chose some to be saved. Election has nothing to do with man's future response.
Arminianism - Election is based on God's foreknowledge of those who would believe in Him through faith. In other words, God elected those who would choose Him of their own free will. Conditional election is based on man's response.

Christ's Atonement
Calvinism - Jesus Christ died to save only those who were given to Him (elected) by the Father in eternity past. Since Christ did not die for everyone, but only for the elect, His atonement is wholly successful. The sacrificial death of Jesus is redemptive (a completed work).
Arminianism - Christ died for everyone. The Savior's atoning death provided the means of salvation for the entire human race. Christ's atonement, however, is effective only for those who believe. The sacrificial death of Jesus was only a means to an end (the redemptive work is incomplete).

Grace
Calvinism - While God extends His common grace to all mankind, it is not sufficient to save anyone. Only God's irresistible grace can draw the elect to salvation and make a person willing to respond. This grace cannot be obstructed or resisted.
Arminianism - Through the preparatory (prevenient) grace given to all by the Holy Spirit, man is able to cooperate with God and respond in faith to salvation. Through prevenient grace, God removed the effects of Adam's sin. Because of “free will” men are also able to resist God's grace.

Man's Will
Calvinism - All men are totally depraved, and this depravity extends to the entire person, including the will. Except for God's irresistible grace, men are entirely incapable of responding to God on their own.
Arminianism - Because prevenient grace is given to all men by the Holy Spirit, and this grace extends to the entire person, all people have free will.

Perseverance
Calvinism - Believers will persevere in salvation because God will see to it that none will be lost. Believers are secure in the faith because God will finish the work He began.
Arminianism - By the exercise of free will, believers can turn away or fall away from grace and lose their salvation.

In summary, Calvinism centers on the supreme sovereignty of God, predestination, the total depravity of man, unconditional election, limited atonement, irresistible grace, and the perseverance of the saints. The simple way to remember the Calvinist position is by the acrostic TULIP:
T= total depravity of man
U = unconditional election
L = limited atonement
I = irresistible grace
P = the perseverance of the saints

In summary, Arminianism centers on the free will of man, man’s responsibility for his own sin, conditional election, unlimited atonement, resistible grace, and the possibility of apostasy (losing one’s faith). The simple way to remember the Arminian position is by the acrostic DAISY:

D = diminished depravity - Humanity is depraved, but God uses prevenient grace to restore man's ability to respond to Him.
A = abrogated election - God bases His election on His foreknowledge of those who freely choose Him.
I = impersonal atonement - Christ died for everyone, making salvation possible for everyone.
S = sedentary grace - God calls everyone to salvation, but many freely reject it.
Y = yieldable justification - The saved can fall from grace and lose their salvation.

*The DAISY acronym is much harder to pin down as there are several different versions (which is why it is defined again above). Also, many Arminians do not like the acrostic. Several versions of DAISY have been pushed by Calvinists as false caricatures of Arminian theology. Many Calvinists seem to also enjoy making the lame joke that the Arminian flower is a daisy because they pull the petals off saying, “God loves me. He loves me not” as a play on yieldable justification.

Last edited:
Great comparison Taran. :)

I find myself pulled in either direction. Both seem to make a strong case and have obviously stood the test of time.

Thank you for posting Taran, OK, you win, you can call me an Armenian, at least a 3 1/2 pointer. :)
"Many Calvinists seem to also enjoy making the lame joke that the Arminian flower is a daisy because they pull the petals off saying, “God loves me. He loves me not” as a play on yield-able justification."

That's ok, sadly I know to many Armenians who say T.U.L.I.P. fails like the tulip crash from which is was originally propagandized from. The bitterness between the two is really over the top sad.

Also, it's not that Armenians believe God "loves me love's me not", as often portrayed by Calvinists, for it is the Armenian doctrine that God loves everybody. However man is unfaithful in his love for God, "man loves God, man does not love God", so Daisy as portrayal of Armenian theology is a characterization of man's relationship with God, not Gods relationship with man. It is the Armenian belief that God calls us to holiness, and repentance, rather than do what thou wilt, you will be either elect or not.

How has "Calvinism" or "Arminianism" done anything but cause division?

What I mean is that each one of you says, “I follow Paul,” or “I follow Apollos,” or “I follow Cephas,” or “I follow Christ.” Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Or were you baptized in the name of Paul?
1 Corinthians 1:12–13

Whether you are a Calvinist, Arminian, Lutheran, none of these things really matter. We should all be followers of Christ.

Romans 14
If your own theological tendencies cause another to stumble, keep quiet about them. Whether you believe God elected certain people to be His, or that everyone has the choice, you don't know either way who those people are. We are called to love everyone, plain and simple.

If you want to have deeper theological discussions, do it among those who won't be turned away by the talks, and above all else, be civil and loving in your discussions.

(Not saying that this thread is bad, but the arguments that arise are.)

There have been God-honoring people on both sides of the soteriological argument. And it has been a discussion that has lasted for over 1,500 years. While it may be healthy to try to understand God's ways, it is not healthy to let such discussions degenerate into relationship-ending anger. Both Calvinists and Arminians are followers of Christ. Both love the one, true God greatly and want to see His ways honored.

What I find most interesting about these positions is that they both start from the same position (acknowledging one's need for God) and end up in the same place (that one who is saved should live a holy life devoted to Him), but take two different "paths" to get there. The only difference in these positions (summarizing the various answers to several theological questions as given above) is 'how our sovereign God works and how the responsible man responds.'

Healthy, respectful (and gentle) conversations exploring the doctrine of soteriology (salvation) are helpful for our spiritual growth. Christians, however, should not break fellowship with one another over whether they are Arminian or Calvinist. And we should remain committed to the work He has set for us. Let us all, pray like Calvinists (appealing to our sovereign God as everything depends on Him) and evangelize like Arminians (diligently sharing the good news as if another's salvation was dependent on our sharing). We can learn alot from each perspective.

- - - - - -

For those who have asked, my own view has the label Amyraldian.
Amyraldianism is a theological system created by Moise Amyrald, which modified traditional Calvinism's teachings on God's Eternal Decrees, removing the decree of reprobation. Amyraldianism is also known as Four-Point Calvinism in that it denies Limited Atonement (the teaching that Jesus only bore the sin of the elect). Amyraldianism points out that Christ's shed blood, being divine and having infinite value, was sufficient for all the world (in the potential sense), but is applied only to those whom God sovereignly declares forensically "justified" (in the actual sense).

And yes, you can find all kinds of critiques and criticisms about this view on the Internet. I am aware of them, have studied them, and thought they make very good points. In my mind, no theological position is without its problems and difficulties to solve. We each have a theology that is a "work in progress." And I will be very glad when I get to heaven and actually get some one-on-one time with Jesus who can straighten out all my theological inconsistencies in terms I can understand (though it may take Him an eternity to get through my thick, dull head). :)

Last edited:
Very interesting post! Thank you Taran. I grew up in a "Calvinistic" church and have since leaned away from staunch calvinism. Not that I disagree with it entirely, John Calvin was a brilliant theologian, and I do agree with God's sovereignty. However, seeing the extremes, to the end that people I know have believed that their election entitled them to a status above that of others. And also knowing the extremes of Arminianism, that personal motives dictate salvation instead of the the atoning blood of the Lord Jesus Christ. I would caution anyone to be wary of "extremes". Having said that, I love to research, talk about, and meditate on differing views, and would also say that discussing and learning the views of others is beneficial when done in a healthy and wise way. I for one really and genuinely appreciate your post. Thank you again.

Pheonix28-- You're right, Calvinism, Arminianism, Universalism, what-have-you-ever, are all just labels.... but, words have power. How we define others (the words we use) are in direct correlation with the way we personally perceive that other person. Part of being considerate is to objectively weigh the thoughts and actions of others then we can, with knowledge and wisdom, pursue relationships in the patience and loving-kindness of the Lord Jesus.

i disagree with yieldable justification - The saved can fall from grace and lose their salvation.
if this were the case we would all be doomed because we fail HIM daily,we fall and at times cause others to stumble.
what would the point be in accepting GOD's free gift of eternal life if we are going to Challenge the duration of that gift?
the blood of CHRIST was the final payment of sin for those who believe
to say it isn't eternal is to say HIS blood was not good enough

lets take a look at GOD's word from a nuetral point seeing how HIS word is perfect and should be our ultimate authority.
1Pe 1:3-5 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,
which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,
To an inheritance incorruptible, and undefiled, and that fadeth not away, reserved in heaven for you,
Who are kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.

here we see that salvation through CHRIST is inccoruptable,undefiled and fadeth not away.

below some scriptures

47 REASONS AND 47 SCRIPTURES
1. The believer has eternal life .
John 10:28: “And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.”

2. The believer has everlasting life.
John 5:24: “Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me,
hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.”

3. The believer cannot perish.
John 3:16: “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.”

4. The believer is kept by the power of God.
1 Peter 1:5: “Who are kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.”

5. The believer has been passed front death unto life.
John 5:24: “Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.”

6. The man who believes shall be saved.
Acts 16:31: “And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.”

7. The believer has been saved.
Ephesians 2:8,9: “For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.”

8. The believer is hid by God in Christ .
Colossians 3:3: “For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God.” Can the devil find that which God hides?

9. The believer is in Christ’s hand.
John 10:28: “And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.”

10. The believer cannot be plucked out of the Father’s hand.
John 10:29: “My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father’s hand.”

11.Sheep can wander away.
Mat 18:11-14 For the Son of man is come to save that which was lost.
How think ye? if a man have an hundred sheep, and one of them be gone astray,
doth he not leave the ninety and nine, and goeth into the mountains, and seeketh that which is gone astray?
And if so be that he find it, verily I say unto you, he rejoiceth more of that sheep, than of the ninety and nine which went not astray.
Even so it is not the will of your Father which is in heaven, that one of these little ones should perish.

12. The believer is not condemned.
John 3:18: “He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already,
because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.”

13. The believer shall not come into condemnation.
John 5:24: “Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life,
and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.”

14. There is now therefore no condemnation for the believer.
Romans 8:1: “There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.”

15. The believer is sealed by the Holy Spirit.
Ephesians 1:13: “In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation:
in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that Holy Spirit of promise.”

16. The believer liveth and abideth forever.
I Peter 1:23: “Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth forever.”

17. The believer will appear with Christ in glory.
Colossians 3:4: “When Christ, who is our life, shall appear, then shall ye also appear with him in glory.”

18. Since Christ cannot die again, the believer is eternally secure.
Romans 6:9,10: “Knowing that Christ being raised from the dead dieth no more; death hath no more dominion over him.
For in that he died, he died unto sin once: but in that he liveth, he liveth unto God.”

19. you can't re-earn your salvation..it is of GOD and not of man
Ephesians 2:8,9: “For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.”

20. The believer is not saved by what he does, but by what Christ has done for him.
Titus 3:5: “Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us,
by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost.”
Romans 4:5: “But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.”

21. Salvation is a gift, not a wage.
Romans 6:23: “For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord .”

22. The believer is secure because of Christ’s prayer.
John 17:9-12: “I pray for them: I pray not for the world, but for them which thou hast given me; for they are thine.
And all mine are thine, and thine are mine; and I am glorified in them. And now I am no more in the world, but these are in the world; and I come to thee.
Holy Father, keep through thine own name those whom thou hast given me, that they may be one, as we are.
While I was with them in the world, I kept them in thy name: those that thou gavest me I have kept, and none of them is lost,
but the son of perdition; that the scripture might be fulfilled.”

23. The believer shall never die.
John 11:26: “And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this?”

24. The believer will in no wise be cast out. (Not under any circumstances:)
John 6:37: “All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out.”

25. Christ will not lose a single believer.
John 6:39: “And this is the Father’s will which hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day.”

26. Whosoever eats the bread of life shall never die.
John 6:51: “I am the living bread which came down from heaven: if any man eat of this bread, he shall live for ever:
and the bread that I will give is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world.”

27. The believer justified by faith, to be saved from wrath.
Romans 5:9: “Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him.”

28. Nothing can separate the believer from Christ.
Romans 8:38,39: “For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.”

29. Christ will complete salvation until the end.
Philippians 1:6: “Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ.”

30. God cannot lie.
Titus 1:2: “In hope of eternal life, which God, that cannot lie, promised before the world began.”

31. Jesus is able to save unto the uttermost.
Hebrews 7:25: “Wherefore he is able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by him, seeing he ever liveth to make intercession for them.”

32. The believer is born of incorruptible seed.
I Peter 1:23: “Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth forever.” Can the devil corrupt that which God says is incorruptible?

33. Because Christ did not come to help us, but to save.
Luke 19:10: “For the Son of man is come to seek and to save that which was lost.”

34. Because the Holy Spirit abides in the believer forever.
John 14:16,17: “And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you forever;
even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.”

35. Because God, not being a man, cannot lie.
Numbers 23:19: “God is not a man, that he should lie; neither the son of man, that he should repent: hath he said, and shall he not do it? or hath he spoken, and shall he not make it good?”

36. Because His mercy endureth forever.
Psalm 136. Twenty-six times in this Psalm it is written “His mercy endureth for ever.”

37. Because it is the Father’s will that Christ should lose nothing.
John 6:39: “And this is the Father’s will which hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day.”

38. Because the believer is preserved unto the heavenly kingdom.
II Timothy 4:18: “And the Lord shall deliver me from every evil work, and will preserve me unto his heavenly kingdom: to whom be glory for ever and ever.”

39. Because the believer is the object of God’s mercy, not His wrath.
Ephesians 2:4: “But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us.”
I Thessalonians 5:9,10: “For God hath not appointed us to wrath, but to obtain salvation by our Lord Jesus Christ,
Who died for us, that, whether we wake or sleep, we should live together with him.”

40. Because a sealed and witnessed transaction is final.
Ephesians 1:13: “In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed,
ye were sealed with that Holy Spirit of promise.”
Sealed with the Spirit. Hebrews 10:15: “Whereof the Holy Ghost also is a witness to us.” Witness of the Spirit.

41. The power of God is not limited.
Matthew 28:18,19: “And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth. Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost.”
I Peter 1:5: “Who are kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.”

42. Because the saints are preserved forever.
Psalms 37:28: “For the Lord loveth judgment, and forsaketh not his saints; they are preserved for ever: but the seed of the wicked shall be cut off.”

43. Because the believer overcomes the world.
I John 5:4: “For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith.”

44. Because God will not forget the believer
Isaiah 49:15: “Can a woman forget her sucking child, that she should not have compassion on the son of her womb? yea, they may forget, yet will I not forget thee.”

45. Because the new covenant in His blood, is an everlasting covenant.
Jeremiah 32:40: “And I will make an everlasting covenant with them, that I wilt not turn away from them, to do them good;
but I will put my fear in their hearts, that they shall not depart from me.”

46. Because we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Christ once for all.
Hebrews 10:10: “By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.”

47.Because the believer’s salvation is begun and finished by Christ. (we dont choose when salvation ends, only CHRIST does)
Hebrews 12:2: “Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,
despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.”

no offense meant by any means;
just an encouragement to let the bible have the final say

i don't classify myself as calvanist or arminian
im just a sinner saved by the mercy of an almighty GOD
denominations,belief labels are all man made
im striving to be pro-CHRIST cause it is the safest direction i can find
GOD bless you all
in Christian love,
Waynos

Last edited:
Back