Can you give me some advice guys?

Billitt

I am a christian and a frequent player of guildwars. My parents found oout about the magic and runes involved and practically blew. They do not like the idea of necromancer's who use death magic witch craft etc, and say it is of satan. I love the game and i want to keep playing, so came here and wandered if you guys had some advice, some things i could say? Because i am adamant that if Jesus were here now, he would play Guild wars! Thanks guys
God Bless, Josh

Mate it is something that we all come across from time-to-time. My best response would be to suggest that GW is quite clearly fictional and you are under no illusions that it represents reality. For me things like magic etc. are a concern only when the relationship between reality and fiction becomes blurred.

In relationship to GW being fictional it is important to remember that magic etc. has frequently been used as a vehical to tell an underlying story and has been used by many a Christian author. The real concern is when the underlying story is not in keeping with the Christian faith. Thus for instance both Harry Potter and The Goldern Compass both use magic as a story telling device. BUT I feel (many others would disagree Im sure) that the themes and underlying story (and sub text) are broadly in line with christian values where as the goldern compass is most definately not.

Make of this what you will but remember sometimes as Christians we need to sacrifice what we want to ensure that we are respectful and loving to others. If a well thought out and carmly dilivered argument does not work then it is best to leave AGW alone untill you are lod enough to take responsibility for your own time and how you use it.

thanks for your help, i 100% agree with what you are saying, hopefully my parents will understand, otherwise it is likely i will have to lay it down to bless my familly.
Thanks again!

Another thing you can do is show your parents the large Christian communities in GW. We here at SoE and the SoE Alliance are not the only Christian Guilds and Alliances. Also CGA is a very large Christian organization. If you were in a very active Christian guild they may look at it differently as well.

you might also want to point out the ministry opportunities that we have, as well as our (do we still have it? been out of the in-game loop for a while) weekly bible study.

you might also want to point out the ministry opportunities that we have, as well as our (do we still have it? been out of the in-game loop for a while) weekly bible study.
Yes we do hold tuesday night Bible studies on TeamSpeak :)

Oh noes, today is TUESDAY! :eek:

Going now! ;)

I agree with the others... whatever your folks say you have to live with.

I enjoy playing a "necromancer" because it's not REALLY a necromancer (who consults the dead for guidance) and I find that the powers are really similar to those found in the OT prophets: Elisha raised up a skeletal army at God's command... Moses "summoned" a plague of flies... several kings were "cursed" with withering ailments. But that virtue probably won't gain a lot of traction.

I would recommend finding out if it's really the magic, or they just don't like you being online or playing too much games or something... (If it's just magic, see if they feel better about a space MMO or something like it... Tabula Rasa's suppossed to be pretty cool, haven't played it myself.)

Whatever you do, keep an eye on displaying the fruits of the Spirit in Gal. 5. It's good to practice these now over something low-key like GW and have them perfected before you face REAL conflict.

Good luck, God Bless

Yeah, I remember back in the day when I was playing Myth with a friend and his mom saw us heal an undead wight to kill it for use as disease ammo, lol. Kudos to your parents for caring, though - it's better them be over-protective than not protective at all!

All the stuff above is great advice, so I really don't have anything to add except for my favorite example - The Chronicles of Narnia. All the fantasy monsters, blood sacrifice, and talk of "deep magic" would be more than enough to have people label it as satanic if it weren't written by C.S. Lewis. People tend to not say anything about the Lord of the Rings, either.

Any luck yet?

I'm glad your parents love you enough to get involved and see what you are playing. Kudos to them, they are good Christian parents.

When I first picked up GW a year and a half ago, I was also concerned about magic, Necros and such. For that reason, I picked a Ranger as my first character and Warrior as my second. Since then I've broadened into creating a Ritualist, Assassin, Ele and Derv (my current favorite).

The magic in GW isn't any different than what you'd see in Narnia and Lord of the Rings. If your parents think those are of Satan, then you have a problem.

I'm probably your parents age, if not older. I don't have a problem with my daughter playing GW and have been encouraging my son to play it as well. As others have said, show your parents the large and supportive Christian community here. If that doesn't sway them, then you've done all you can. Whatever their final decision, you must honor and obey them.

On another note, encourage them to play the game! The oldest person I personally know that plays is in her late 60's and has maxed out a bunch of titles. There are a lot of people in their 30's, 40's and 50's. It's a fun game for almost all ages.

On another note, encourage them to play the game! The oldest person I personally know that plays is in her late 60's and has maxed out a bunch of titles. There are a lot of people in their 30's, 40's and 50's. It's a fun game for almost all ages.
Derk, Paul, and I are all in our thirties. Andrew isn't far behind. :)

Hey hey hey. I am not 30 and I don't wanna hear that horrible word lol. Just kidding 29 next month *sigh*

Back