Car problems, ramping up car research and shopping

At times I hate being able to do most car repair tasks. Then when I read others repair cost, I'm happy I can. Sorry tek

If you want to buy something relatively new, I would look at anything from Hyundai or Kia. Seriously.

My lady friend just got a 2014 Hyundai Sonata, decently equipped, with 20k miles for $17k. It was $13k without the warranty (used Hyndai/Kias don't get the 100k mile warranty). It also had a clean CARFAX too.

Toyotas, Chevrolets, and Hondas as of late can't seem to stop getting recalled. Also, I know you love your Nissan, but compared to Hyundai/Kia, they are expensive to repair. I would also recommend late model Fords, but their products will be more expensive than Hyundai, but with an inferior warranty (in 2012, the best selling new car in the world was the Ford Focus). Fords cars are also more fun to drive than other cars from other manufacturers.

Just a few things to think about.

Last edited:
I was wondering about Hyundai for the long run, but if that warranty is really worth it then it sounds like a viable alternative. I would still seriously consider a Subaru if you get a lot of icy, snowy roads. Recently we had a real bad ice morning and when I had a short uphill slog on an icy road and the Subaru clawed it's way up with no problem. It was so icy that a 5 ton truck went off roading coming down the hill. And so far reliability and cost of maintenance has been good.

It's true I love my Maxima, but I don't plan on buying Nissan again. The repairs I've had done have indeed been painfully expensive, so I'll be looking elsewhere.

I recently test drove a 2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid (which is sadly out of my budget, but I was eyeing some used 2013 cars of the same make and model) and I really liked it.

The hard part now is going to be choosing between gas mileage and storage capacity. I work as a field tech, but most of my trips are short (less than 10 miles) and in the city, so a hybrid would be perfect. Also, I get paid mileage, so I stand to benefit if I'm driving a car that gets 40 MPG as opposed to 20 MPG.

Unfortunately, anything in my price range offers either greater storage capacity (crossovers, SUVs) or great gas mileage (hybrid sedans).

/sigh

My next step will probably be to test drive a Ford Escape. I admit it feels surreal to be considering a Ford when I grew up during an era where imports dominated domestic cars in terms of quality and reliability. The times, they are a-changin'!

I'm so glad you finally saw the light tek. The U.S. Automakers have been doing a fine job for the last twenty years or so. Sure, there will be lemons but the 1970s 80s are long over.

Edit: except the terribad a604 transmission that Chrysler still attaches to their v6 in some minivans and cars. That thing has been a pile of flaming dog ... Err nvm... for almost 30 years now. They just keep renaming it... ugh

Last edited:
If you are considering used cars, I would stay away from Hybrid cars that have more than 20k miles on them and are more than 2 years old. Hybrid batteries are still batteries, and all batteries eventually die.

I'm so glad you finally saw the light tek. The U.S. Automakers have been doing a fine job for the last twenty years or so. Sure, there will be lemons but the 1970s 80s are long over.

You are being way too generous lol.

Back