Certifications

MaxX

I'm really interested in getting a tech job to support me (and provide an alternate career) through college. How do I go about training and studying for these tests, how do I get them, how useful are they in getting a job, etc..? I looked around at certification sites but they're extremely confusing and not very comprehensive. I know there's a few people in the industry here, could you give me a little guidance? Thanks

Go to your local library, they will most likely have certification books or can get them for you. This is a lot cheaper then buying your own or paying for certification help websites.

There are two types of certification books, ones that help you answer the questions (test prep) and ones that contain a ton of additional information that may not appear on the tests and are designed to make you a subject matter expert. Which one you pick really depends on your previous experience. If you know what a system bus is, how active directories are organized or how to setup port forwarding through shell access to a router then you might be able to get away with just the test prep. If this is all new to you then you might have to get the reference books and learn a little bit before you work on the test prep.

What you do next really depends on how comfortable you feel your knowledge of the subject is. If you don't feel comfortable, it may be worthwhile to invest in an online demo test to see how well you perform before putting down the bigs bucks for the actual test. With some tests, there is a waiting period before you can retake it along with the additional cost for the next time you take the test.

For the Cisco stuff you start with the CCNA. The easiest path is to take the INTRO exam then the ICND exam. This is also the most expensive. $125 / each. The quickest way is to just take the CCNA exam. Still $125 but only one test. The CCNA is more difficult though. I would recommend using Cisco Press or Sybex books that were authored by Todd Lammle. That guy is THE MAN when it comes to Cisco and preparing you for the tests. When I recertify I always use his material because he makes it so easy to read, not dry and boring (or no AS dry and boring). Either way you go, the books I recommend are the INTRO and ICND books for whichever test path you choose. They work individually for the seperate tests or together for the CCNA exam.
Keep in mind that the CCNA exam changed in October so make sure the books you get are current. Nothing like studying for an exam only to sit down and find out some things have changed from the books you studied.
Also, some hardware time won't hurt either. If you know onyone who can help you out with that, then definitely take advantage of it.
For an easier route (since you're looking to do it through college), maybe study and pass the A+ exam and get a job in harware service / repair. It's not really "easy" per se, but it isn't anywhere near as tough as the Cisco certification.
As for books, your library will rarely have the latest versions of them available. Talk to people you know or use Amazon or ebay and buy used. Borrowing is much better (read: cheaper). Good luck!

I got the A+ and MCP it helped get me started, my BS in telecommunications management helps too

Back