comp help

Azami

So, recently I've been having problems with my graphics with WoW. I crash alot because WoW can't read a random file like a cloak graphic or some other outdoor graphic. Anyone know anyway I can try to fix it? I do use more addons then most people but it's only been recently that it's gotten bad. Sometimes there are momentary freezups where random parts of the foreground and my ui disappears. Any help would be nice.

EDIT: Decided to remove an installation of a driver I downloaded to try and revert things back to what I had before, which is getting better now, but I probably still get the can't read file message before I downloaded that.

Last edited:
Sometimes a Mod can cause crazy issues, try removing all your mods & wtf folders. The simplest thing to do is rename the to Interface2 and wtf2. Also try going under the Cache folder in your Warcraft directory and erasing all the files there. I'd recommend this first and it erases all of the pre-rendered backgrounds you download over time while playing WoW. Load up WoW and fly around for awhile or go to a place you typically crash.

If you still get the issue, then try renaming your interface & wtf folders but delete the cache files again because if it's an addon corrupting things you'll still get the crash. Occassionally you have to rebuild your UI from scratch adding a piece at the time.

Also what video card/drivers are you using?

Try the newest driver offering they have,from ATI, I know one version of their driver had serious issues with WoW. I used to use a radeon 9800 pro and whenever I hit this one area in Burning Steppes it would put WoW on lockdown.

One other thing I forgot, the X-series cards by AtI all have major heat issues. Open your case and blow any dust collected on the card or fans. I killed 2 of the 9800's that way before I switched back to NVidia. I havent had any heat related issues since.

I'm quite knowledgeable when it comes to computers. My skills include: clicking, double clicking, pressing the power button, sending emails, receiving emails, deleting emails.....

One other thing I forgot, the X-series cards by AtI all have major heat issues. Open your case and blow any dust collected on the card or fans. I killed 2 of the 9800's that way before I switched back to NVidia. I havent had any heat related issues since.

Meh... I used my X850XT card for most of my time in WoW and it had minimal issues (except it would artifact every now and then and come back, but that computer had always done that...).

Anyway, if you can (I forgot) do a complete file check, and remove your addons and one by one reinstall them to help isolate the problem.

So, recently I've been having problems with my graphics with WoW. I crash alot because WoW can't read a random file like a cloak graphic or some other outdoor graphic. Anyone know anyway I can try to fix it? I do use more addons then most people but it's only been recently that it's gotten bad. Sometimes there are momentary freezups where random parts of the foreground and my ui disappears. Any help would be nice.

EDIT: Decided to remove an installation of a driver I downloaded to try and revert things back to what I had before, which is getting better now, but I probably still get the can't read file message before I downloaded that.

What I found - I don't know if the same will work for you or not ... is that I've had to turn the actual graphics in the game down. I could never get in and out of Shattrah on another server but after playing with my mods and graphics lvls I can - still glitches at times yes but its been a lot better for me.

Was your card one of the ones that they fixed issues with in that little patch? I don't remember which ones were mentioned in the patch notes.

Back