Computer Parts

Razzle0925

So my laptop I had from work died. The motherboard went and they didn't want to put any more money into the computer. I was told I could parts it out and do what I wanted with it. Took the Samsung EVO Pro SSD as well as the WD Black HDD and put them in my desktop for a little upgrade.

So here is what I have:
8GB Mushkin (2x4GB) RAM PC3-8500
Hp Intel WiFi Card
AVerMedia Audio card (think that's what it is as it came from the extra speaker part)
HP HDX 18t 18.4" LCD 1920x1080 Screen
HP Genuine Replacement Battery

So here is my problem...the model laptop is 5 years old now. Are these parts even worth posting somewhere? My father-in-law deals with computers and he seems to think I can sell the screen most certainly. I just don't want to be sitting with the parts waiting for them to sell.

Thanks for any help.

Waitwaitwait, your work laptop had an 18" screen?

Where do you work and are they hiring? :p

But seriously, I don't think you'd have trouble finding a buyer for the memory (I'm planning on checking if my laptop could use that RAM, so I might be willing to buy it).

I'm not familiar enough with the AVerMedia card to estimate its value.

If the battery is 5 years old, you'll have a hard time finding a buyer who knows that most laptop batteries usually degrade pretty severely within 5 years (or maybe I'm just thinking of Dell).

The wifi card is a fairly niche part, but I'd check eBay and see if there are similar listings there. If not, there's likely not enough demand to make it worth the effort to sell it.

Yeah...the person who had it before me went all out. It was and HP HDX18t-1200 from 2009. The battery is pretty new. Got it maybe a couple of months before the thing died. They let me do pretty much whatever I wanted to to it until the motherboard went. Found one on ebay for $100 but they didn't want to pay anymore. Make sure that your motherboard can support the RAM. I had to make sure about it with this one. Run into issues in the past where the motherboard has a max capacity for RAM.

I should probably be wise and not put any more money in to this laptop. It's a Dell Studio 1737 and I received it as a replacement for a Dell Inspiron E1705 (I think that was the model number?) back in 2008. It's served me well enough, but I should start saving for a full-on replacement rather than trying to strap a jetpack to a mule.

Still, I wish you success finding buyers, if you decide to go that route. Here's hoping my bump post put your thread in front of a few more eyeballs. :)

Thanks Tek. Yeah I think that's the approach my work took. I made upgrades myself that totaled a good amount. They just didn't want to put more money into it.

Thanks Tek. Yeah I think that's the approach my work took. I made upgrades myself that totaled a good amount. They just didn't want to put more money into it.
Just curious: Did you ever sell the parts?

Just curious: Did you ever sell the parts?

No. I did take the RAM and was able to use it in the replacement laptop that I got from work though. Not a new one. Was by boss's old one actually. Now I have the 4GB from that one. lol. Still have everything else. The screen, battery & blue-ray drive.

haha. my buddy has a berm in his backyard that we put targets in front of all the time. may just have to do that. Pretty sure these things won't sell. the laptop they are from was built back in 2009. now a days, laptops are so disposable that people just go out and get a new one for the same price that it would be to replace parts. With what happened with mine (mb went kapoot), pretty sure no one will buy the stuff unfortunately. oh well. may just have to have some fun with them like you suggested. :)

Does the laptop have an add-in video card or onboard graphics?

EDIT: I ask because my wife's old laptop is perfectly functional except for a faulty video card (that died only a few months after the warranty expired).

Does the laptop have an add-in video card or onboard graphics?

EDIT: I ask because my wife's old laptop is perfectly functional except for a faulty video card (that died only a few months after the warranty expired).

Not sure to be honest. I was able to get sound and wifi cards but not the vcard. Sorry. Aside from the parts I have, the rest went to the dump.

No worries. :) Even if I were to somehow procure a video card that would fit my wife's old laptop (which is highly unlikely), I'd need to set aside the time to disassemble the entire laptop to install the video card then rebuild it. And I don't see myself having the time (or motivation) to put myself through that any time soon...

Back