Computer Problem Randomly Begins... and Ends?

This weekend my screen has crashed at least 4 times, generally foretold by a few seconds of a sound siezure. In all cases, it was a total death of whatever I was doing, involving an immediate emergency restart via holding the power button until the computer turned off, then hitting it again to start up without anything saved.

Then suddenly, the instead of the usual sound epilepsy and screen death, the screen got some crazy coloring (everything looked like i had converted to 32 color mode or something, and was quite fuzzy). I did not, however, experience a death. In fact, everything was fully functional other than the color scheme. I quickly shut down the conventional way, and upon startup, the first thing that happened was a prompt stating, "Device driver did not install completely. Click here to finish installation," under a title which was the name of my video card.

So I clicked there and it almost immediately completed the installation (about 2 seconds or less).

Was my computer's craziness caused by a failed update to my graphics card that I didn't know about? Or was the update a response to my computer's craziness?

We shall see, if my screen dies again.
Thankfully, the only thing I was doing was research for Meyerhold's Biomechanics, a theatre practice that I'll be teaching my fellow Thespians in theatre this week. I'll also be showing what I've learned to my piano teacher tomorrow after school, whilst picking up the Liszt piece, Un Sospiro.

first go into safe mode with networking support and go download the latest drivers for your video card from either ATI.com or nividia.com. Then in add/remove programs uninstall the currently instlaled drivers..reboot. The system will instlal a generic driver..reboot..then let hte system run for a bit and see if it is stable..if it is then instlal the new video drivers..reboot..see if that fixes it.

nVidia...

Like I said, it finally completed the installation of the driver. I think the problem was during the installation it decided to crash, so it never fully installed... and that allowed it to crash several more times.

In any case, it hasn't tried that again yet, so I'm not taking any action against it :p

Mine recently crashed while trying to install the latest nVidia drivers as well. However, I'm having other issues with mine as well. Random color pixels and/or rows of pixels, graphical bugs in game - worse with newer games, better, but still bad, with Guild Wars.

I'm pretty sure I've got some bad sectors of memory on the graphics card, but I'm holding off on buying a new one for now and playing on a 5yr old machine.

Last edited:
Back