Computer Problems

astrod00d said:
Don't let the price fool you. Thermaltake makes very good power supplies. And unless you have a real beefy system with dual video cards, the one I recommended will be more than enough for your needs.

In my experience , cheaper PSU's tend to cause more problems than the higher end models when they die. I know of many cases where cheap power supplies have caused damage, 2 of which I witnessed. A friend of mine had his mobo and graphics card fried by his $30 supply. And my boss was working on a cheaply made home built tower at work when the power supply blew and the computer actually started smoking. The office stunk for a couple days after that. Needless to say that computer was history. Maybe I've just been unfortunate enough to see the bad, but I personally wouldn't want to risk it.

Dauntless said:
In my experience , cheaper PSU's tend to cause more problems than the higher end models when they die. I know of many cases where cheap power supplies have caused damage, 2 of which I witnessed. A friend of mine had his mobo and graphics card fried by his $30 supply. And my boss was working on a cheaply made home built tower at work when the power supply blew and the computer actually started smoking. The office stunk for a couple days after that. Needless to say that computer was history. Maybe I've just been unfortunate enough to see the bad, but I personally wouldn't want to risk it.

I agree, cheap made PSUs can be a real problem. However, Thermaltake is a reputable brand that makes very good PSUs. Just because you can get it for $30 doesn't mean it's a 'cheap' PSU. Sub-500 watt PSUs have become relatively cheap in price since SLI came along but their price being lower doesn't make them bad. Check this out... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817153023
...the users are very happy with it. Now look at this one... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817704006
...this one is terrible. There is a long list of PSU manufacturers to avoid and a short list to trust. It doesn't take much reading to figure out which ones are on which list.

Back