Cpl byoc

Parakletos

Well, I just got confromation last night from my parents that I can go to the summer CPL BYOC. For those of you who have no clue what im talking about, heres a little overview:

CPL (Cyberathlete Professional League) is the biggest gaming tournament in the world. Their biggest game is Counter-strike. What happens is that every season professional counter-strike teams (such as 3D, SK,eoL etc.) go to this huge 1500 person LAN and play for huge cash prizs of $200,000. You can see some videos of the CPL winter event HERE.

BYOC is an acronym for Bring Your Own Computer.
Participants that register for the BYOC can bring their computers, monitors and peripherals to a CPL event and connect, via Ethernet, to a switched 10/100 Local Area Network (LAN) that can accommodate up to 800 computers. The CPL, and authorized participants, provide several gaming servers, which BYOC attendees can use to play each other in unofficial matches.

The BYOC is open 24 hours a day, and is continuously patrolled by uniformed Law Enforcement Officers and members of the CPL staff. The CPL BYOC offers high-speed Internet access, with a minimum of 1.5 mbps (T1) in total bandwidth. It also has redundant power supply, and no additional power backups are required.

The official CPL tournaments do not take place in the BYOC, but on dedicated high-end Pentium 4 systems provided by Intel. BYOC is where both amatures and professional players just play on a LAN.

The CPL Summer 2003 Event will take place at the Hyatt Regency Hotel in Dallas, Texas from Wednesday, July 30, 2003 to Sunday, August 3, 2003. A community-organized Team Fortress Classic BYOC tournament will also be hosted at the CPL Summer 2003 Event. Other attractions include a large exhibition area, C3, BYOC, workshops, spectator arena and music concert. Admission is $75 for all five-days.

As of right now, im just going by myself. I thought it would be really cool if we could get a few ToJ-CS members to sign-up for the BYOC and then meet up there. Threre are only 279 spots left open, so register soon! Also, if your 16 years old, you need to have a parental release from signed. Once you register, then give you the from  to print out.

Keep in mind pricing if your considering this. It is $75 just to get in plus hotel:
Single | Double Occupancy - $99.00 (per night)
Triple | Quadruple Occupancy - $109.00 (per night)
Also food, and transportation.

I hope I can see some of you there!
smile.gif

dang if only my parents were rich and enjoyed throwing around money so I could get a better computer and play something other than Half-Life mods... and pay for the trip[...

Hey mah, can I have $1000 dollars so I can make a trip to play the same video game I play right here? What? You mean its insane? Well of course its insane, nobody except complete weirdos even win. I have a chance I tell you!

It's much more fun going to a small BYOC lan organized by school friends, like 15-20 people tops. Yall know that I'm halfway decent on the server, but I end up really laying the smack down on my friends at those lans.

yeah what's scary is that i'm the best CS player at Houghton, so when there's a lan game going on and i hop in everyone leaves...

biggrin.gif

I'd like to think im one of the better players in the UK. There are people that would whoop me but i can play on par with most of you guys in ToJ even with my phenomenal lag. I'd love to get on a LAN party and show u guys what an unlagged rizzor can do
laugh.gif

UPDATE: Thye actually extended it to 900 people for BYOC rather than just 850. Every seat is now taken. Did anyone from ToJ sign up?

Back