Critique me :(

grimsauce

So... I'm pretty bad at this game

but I'd really like to work at getting better.

I know we have a few real good players in this community... would any of you like to look at my demos and critique me?

I'm just not sure what specifically I usually end up doing wrong- maybe unit composition or expoing or scouting? I can send you some of my losing demos if you'd like :x

You could study your "lost" games and see how they did it.

I'm not as good as they are but you can tell they make the common builds.

You could try to rush them. Make the Barracks/Gateway/Spawning Pool first then attack.

If you do find them first, you could also Proxy your Barracks/Gateway.

And if its ZvZ, mass spine colonies at their base. :p

yeah i meant replays not demos :p

i'll send you a few.

And yeah, I play as Random but I get terran a lot... and lose as terran a lot
Maybe you need to turn to the Awesome Side and play Zerg.

...Then again, I'm considering learning Terran as they, as a race, seem more mobile than Zerg.

I like random because it puts my opponent at a slight disadvantage early game and my friends won't know what I'm going off the bat!

I'd recommend picking one race and sticking with it for now. Once you feel confident with that race, you can decide whether to learn an additional race or stick to your first pick.

I'll probably play Zerg a little longer and then switch to Terran.

If you really want to improve, I would stick with one race until your mechanics improve. I'd even suggest only practicing one matchup until you hit a certain level of comfort with it. This is hard if you're using the ladder matchmaker, but if you're practicing in custom games, leave as many things constant as you can so you can worry about your mechanics and not other things.

Use hotkeys. Hotkey all of your production buildings. Hotkey all of your units. Worry more about your macro mechanics and less about your micro and strategies. Read my post in the basic guide thread. You shouldn't worry about whether you're winning or losing in the interim as long as you're improving your mechanics.

Upload reps for me to watch if you want more specific comments.

Last edited:
I'd recommend picking one race and sticking with it for now. Once you feel confident with that race, you can decide whether to learn an additional race or stick to your first pick.

Not to throw the confusion wrench in.. but I really like the idea of playing random.

I play only Terran in 1v1, and that's great for me. I win more often with terran than any other race, and it's great for confidence building and fine-tuning my game. However, I honestly learned more about Terran strategy, build, counters, and etc when I started playing as random. Don't get me wrong, I still suck playing as protoss, and 10x more so as zerg, and, believe it or not, I usually don't do as well playing as random terran than when I choose terran.. but that's something I'm working on.

Anyway, I guess I'm suggesting random is great, but take a little of Tek's advice too and focus on just one or two races. Get those builds down-pat, know the hotkeys, and start to do the math. I've noticed that when I am actively doing math in my head I play better.. like I will compare upgrade costs vs building one or more units, or how long it would take me to tech to a certain unit and comparing that to what I think my opponent will be getting and when, etc.

Last edited:
Random doesn't give you so much of an advantage because nearly everyone will scout with a worker within 3 minutes. Unless you are going for a 6 ling rush or a reaper a proxy reaper rush that 3 minutes probably won't be enough to do much.

It will give you an idea of what every unit does and the basics of each race. It will probably make learning harder at the start but down the road will give you an insight into each race that most people don't have. Go with what you want but I think I'm going to stick with one race until I master it then move onto the next until I can go random with confidence.

I'd master the basics to start. Learn to micro units, split your forces into different groups and know what to do with each of them. Use hot keys for everything and also put your buildings into groups so you don't even need to return to your base to build anything. Learn counters and figure out the right moments to attack and when you should pull back and regroup. Learn to anticipate your enemy, if they start to build a counter to your forces then switch to counter those units. Scout early and often. If you ever don't know what your enemy is doing for five minutes, and where all his expansions are then you have probably lost.

Back