darn network cards

Atown

Christian Gamers Alliance Amazon Store Manager
Staff member
ok, i just finished fixing up this old peice of junk made of spare parts. i finally got the computer to understand my ethernet card with win98, but i cant enable file sharing nor can i play starcraft over my home network. plz help.

make sure your netwprking has all the needed componants like TCP/IP Microsoft client etc. Make sure it's on the same network with TCP/IP 192.168.0.X for example

Also, be sure to install IPX protocol (if ur trying to do it over that.) If your just connected to the network without the IPX, u can still use the UDP connection (bottom most one.) One last thing, be sure u hav same versino of Starcraft ;) lol people make that mistake so many times.

i loaded sc on all comps and useing multiple burned copys of bw. and yes i have tcp/ip installd and all clients are the same. thats what amazes me. i'll try installing the ipx stuff.
Update:

well i installd all that ipx stuff and still doesnt work. i ran the network wizard and my other 2 comps still cant see the computer in question. plz help.

hmm ok i'll check that. *thinks for a minute then feels stupid saying*: how exactly do u do that?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Atown @ Jan. 02 2004,12:03)]hmm ok i'll check that. *thinks for a minute then feels stupid saying*: how exactly do u do that?
I may have missed his point as I am tired. But I think he means see if the other computer has a firewall on it.

yeah i know that much but i dont know how to check or disable a firewall

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Atown @ Jan. 02 2004,3:47)]yeah i know that much but i dont know how to check or disable a firewall
That is usually easy. For a hardware one I have no idea read your users manual. The hardware firewall would be on your router. For a software firewall you should see a little icon down on your taskbar.  Just click on it and disable it. Or go into your programs manual and disable it. If you are using windows XP, that has a firewall check out microsoft for how to turn it off.

no router just a hub. there is no icon on taskbar. and im useing win98. and i cant find manual

Hmm, ok I think the Network Ethernet card is incompatible with Windows 98 (blurgh) check if the internet works through that computer (the leftover machine) if IT DOEs work, then its the problem of the hub.

no dsl or broadband or cable for me. and it might not be capatible with 98. i'll heck a few things out.

ooh yikes.. either it doesn't work with windows 98, or it could be an old old driver. Try downloading a new driver if possible.

uh btw i buaght the ethernet card last august

It's still possible because they make the new hardware compatible to usually Windows 2000, or XP. not the older 98 versions.

my drivers say they work on all versions from 95,98,nt,me,xp

Back