Death Knight Help

Warrzone

Hey everyone!

I'm looking for a little advice regarding DK dps, if I may, from those of you versed in the subject. I'm trying to get my dps up to the point that I'm not being carried anymore. I'm currently using the 17/0/54 talent spec that EJ recommends for sub-2pc T10 gear. I had tried a twist on that build previously, but it looks like they know what they're talking about--imagine that!

Gear aside (working on it), I have a question about Army of the Dead. Should I be using it routinely? I've been fearful of using it, because I'm not really familiar with the mechanics of that ability. I'd rather lose out on the dps than cause something potentially horrible. It's recommended to be used just prior to the pull on boss fights due to the channeling time. The description says the ghouls basically run around like crazy, taunting and fighting anything they can, which seems just about right. Maybe this is a question best posed to the tanks, but I'd appreciate input from anyone that can help. For example, will they taunt off the tank, eat AOE heals, run down the hall and to the left and bring the next boss back with them, etc?

Thanks a lot!

Can't say that I know much of Unholy DPS (my DK hasn't been unholy since I tried it in 3.1). My DK is currently Blood DPS and has been Frost Dual Wield for a little bit. As long as you know what your general rotation or your list of if/then priorities then you should be fine if we're not counting gear.

I've generally never seen Army of the Dead used unless it's in desperation mode where you really need that last little bit to get the boss down.

You should probably talk to Bigsword/Wulf about Unholy DPS.

Most of the time when you hear the raid leader say "pop everything" that means use your army. Armies are a good dps boost, but if you use it at the wrong time you'll end up with an upset raid team... other than that... do as Azami says... Talk to Bigsword or Proudfood/Malgrim(I think that's spelled wrong)

Most of the time when you hear the raid leader say "pop everything" that means use your army. Armies are a good dps boost, but if you use it at the wrong time you'll end up with an upset DIVA TANK.. other than that... do as Azami says... Talk to Bigsword or Proudfood/Malgrim(I think that's spelled wrong)

fixt

ill generally use army right before the pull. they won't taunt off raid bosses and yes, under normal circumstances, you will lose dps if you pop army during the middle of a rotation.

Dradow's plan to DK awesomeness.

STEP 1 Deathgrip target.
STEP 2Roll face across the keyboard.
STEP 3Profit. (Don't forget to loot the target you have just owned)

Duels
During duels it is ok to pop army of the dead if it is against a rogue. The only thing that can actually challenge you :p

Pve
Use far ranged attacks like icy touch to make sure you never get hit and then loot.

Pvp
Find holy pally. Hit 2200. Buy weapon. Game over.

Last edited:
aod is handy in bg's when you are facing a lock and a shaman or priest. Pop it and let them work over one target, keeping it tied down and finish off the other target then help the army finish if they need help.

In a raid - only really helpful at the beginning of the fight because of their aggro - they will get it and most tanks do not know to just swing away until they start dropping, then get the aggro.

Tank down...wipe on the way with very little health of boss left - I'd say pop the army and let them tank while you still have dps to finish the job. Maybe in the meantime the tank can get a battle rez, healed and buffed to finish the fight.

AOD is totally and unfairly nerfed in arena.

In a raid - only really helpful at the beginning of the fight because of their aggro - they will get it and most tanks do not know to just swing away until they start dropping, then get the aggro.

In a raid, army will never pull a boss off of a tank. The only time they will successfully taunt ANYTHING in a raid will be against an add (i.e. saurfang's blood beasts).

The general rule of thumb in a raid is to pop army at the beginning of the pull since the time you spend channeling is lost dps from you. You will also need to time it correctly to have enough runes AND not mess up your rotation for it to be of benefit.

In a raid, army will never pull a boss off of a tank. The only time they will successfully taunt ANYTHING in a raid will be against an add (i.e. saurfang's blood beasts).

The general rule of thumb in a raid is to pop army at the beginning of the pull since the time you spend channeling is lost dps from you. You will also need to time it correctly to have enough runes AND not mess up your rotation for it to be of benefit.

Yes, I was only kidding about being upset about using the army (which I probably should not do on a teaching thread). It 'looks like' the army has taken threat off the tank cause the boss goes goofy turning back and forth while the army is hitting it but I've easily maintained threat through many armys. Now poping it at beginning of pull, well I'd say as long as the tank has threat. Just let the tank know.

the army will only make him bounce like that at the start if the tank is doing the same level of threat. in all actuality, without their taunt holding aggro over the army will be easier than holding over a dps that is opening. unless the dk runs in before the tank and causes his army to leap in ahead you should not lose him in any way. i'm working on a list of the bosses army can be summoned starting out without causing issues. should have it up soon.

Yo if you want to do insane dps, talk to niko when he comes on,, he has a blood spec and rotation that pull insane numbers.

Back