Death Knight Tanking

Moredhel

I've been following a thread on the Tank Spot forums to try to convert my noobie tanking into something a little less so. Of all the resources I have found on tanking as a death knight, I have found none to be as helpful as the one posted by Satorri. What may come as a surprise to some of you is that Satorri is a toon that plays on our very own server (Osyras in Doom and Rainbows).

http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.php?59900-Comprehensive-Guide-to-Death-Knight-Tanking

Why I chose to stay frost when it's clear that the majority of raids/guilds appear to prefer blood? While I understand the concept of blood tanking — active healing capability and massive health pool — the frost death knight tank is more about mitigating damage and having the best tools bar none for grabbing multiple mobs and holding aggro. This is through Howling Blast and Blood Boil. So, the Frost tank has quite a bit of utility — it has the best tools to handle multiple mobs and is hardy enough to be MT as long as the healers know the health pool is going to be slightly less than a Blood tank. As the Frost tank doesn't have the active healing tools at its disposal, the healers are faced with the double-dilemma of not only having a smaller window of opportunity to get critical heals off, the Death Knight itself has less tools to help the healers play catch-up. These two factors form a significant bias against Frost Death Knights, but forewarned healers can also draw comfort from the fact that a Frost Death Knight will take on average 15% less damage than a like-geared Blood Death Knight.

The biggest question to be answered for a to-be-Frost Death Knight tank is: Should I use a Two-Hand weapon or go Dual-Wield? I chose to go Two-Hand for a couple reasons — or, I should say, seven of them — Dual-Wield tanks *must* sink six talent points into Dual-Wield talents. Additionally, Dual-Wield Death Knights ideally should have two slow weapons (2.6 or slower). Since I only have one viable slow one-hand weapon, I felt that going dual-wield wasn't going to be that great from a TPS perspective, which is why you want to go dual-wield.

John and I were discussing this very subject today and he was saying it appears that Blizzard's intent is to make Frost be a Dual-Wield tree, but until the talents are moved around my spec is a 2H version of the frost tanking tree that most closely resembles what Satorri would choose if he wasn't Blood (which he is).

Back