Debuff cleansing in Cata

Gilga

So, with Cata, I'm happy and sad to be able to dispell curses, poison, AND magic. Happy because I'm leeter. Sad because ... that's a lot of potential stuff to dispell.

What's reasonable expectation of what I (druid + healer) would dispell? I gotta say, because debuffs often accompany AOE damage, when everyone loses half of their health AND gets a debuff, it makes for an awful lot of potential Global Cooldowns to burn while fixing people.

1) Should healers be in charge of dispells as a matter of course? Or only as a last resort, with dpsers hopefully handling this? Would pug DPSere actually commit to this at the start of a run or am I dreaming up flying pigs?

2) Should I be able to handle both, and stop QQing?

3) Am I making more of this than really exists? It seemed like there were an awful lot of debuffs flying in GB when I ran it. Although I was so busy keeping up, period, that I probably wasted a lot of time/cooldowns/mana dispelling a ton of 5-second debuffs that would have disappeared in a tic anyhow. If I do a little more research should I be able to be more selective? Or is there an easier way to get Grid to be a little more clever about choosing what to show me (e.g. show debuffs I need to fix in my grid frames but don't display those which I can relatively safely ignore?)

1. No healers should not be the only ones in charge of it. Other classes can dispell stuff and should do it on the appropriate debuffs.

2. You should be able to handle on the major ones. There are some that simply have to be done. Maybe 0.5 per instance.

3. Yes you are making more of it. Quite possibly because healing random heroics is very overwhelming. Each class must be healed slightly differently and I am talking tanks- Warriors and Druids need hard and fast spells. Pallies and DK's not so much because they have self heals. Hots are generally not entirely sufficient. Mana must be managed actively.

I normally ignore trash mob debuffs and always debuff anything from a boss mob. I'm not sure if Druids have a glyph for it, but Holy Paladins can add a glyph that reduces the mana cost of using Cleanse by 20%.

That's useful, thanks. To be clear and honest, I haven't even run a heroic yet ... normal GB was a challenge, I found. The overwhelming moments were when everyone got debuffed and a major damage wave went out (either concentrated on the tank, or hititng the whole group) and I just couldn't do 5-8 things at once. We generally got through those, but we cut it very close in a way that probably had more to do with luck than any sustainable gameplay. There would be a mass debuff that would hit everyone, so I'd feel compelled to cleanse everyone, and that's 5 GCDs where I'm not healing and inevitable that meant someone got in big health trouble. I don't remember the mana cost of the casts really causing a problem (and I don't think droods have a glyph anyhow).

Anyhow, I won't feel like a moron at least bringing up debuffs at the start of a run, even if no one signs up to help ... and I'll certainly work on being more intelligent about separating "need to" vs. "nice to" debuffing activity.

On mana, remembering how much that was an issue with you during Meatclysm (w00t!) I was expecting the worst, but it held up decently. Mostly had problems when the tank went Leeeeroy Jenkins between packs of trash mobs than on boss fights. However, I struggled a LOT more with keeping everyone comfortably healed. Lots of potential explanations for this ... since my "old" healing style clearly wasn't going to work in Cata, I tried to learn the EJ recommended rotation (LB+N/HT with WG every cooldown, with RJ and RG when extra oomph needed) which is designed to be mana-efficient. Or maybe I just wasn't healing enough. There's room to get better but the decursing is where I was really just "wow, I don't know how to handle this."

Last edited:
Healers should primarily cleanse their assigned targets whether you're going to be tank healing or raid healing when appropriate to do so. Some healing trees (or maybe all?) have a talent to dispel an additional type compared to the other similar classes but not in the same tree. (On a side note I heard that the resto shaman's cleanse has an actual decent heal to it.) In a raid situation with debuffs going throughout the raid it'll have to most likely be the priest's job with Mass Dispel assuming a magic debuff, otherwise everyone should help when they can.

I've been noticing how expensive cleanse is and how often it is used I might have to re-glyph for the 20% savings to mana cost for cleanse. In WotLK this was laughed at, but the amount of cleansing in Cata is nutty.

well also you have to see that the shamans cleanse spirit if your specced right heals the target when you cleanse something off and i believe a priest can glyph for that as well, which is always a bonus to get 2 things done in 1.

Back