Defeating Cyndr the Mountain heart

Abba San

Legacy of Elijah [LoE] - Proud Grandfather
I'm trying to get my elementalist through EotN. Cyndr is a major roadblock for me - I can't seem to put together the right team of heros and henchies to put him down.

I've read Guild Wars Wiki - and I don't have the ranger they suggest to "bring him down in seconds."

I've managed to drop three kegs and break his armor briefly - but just can't quite make it happen.

Any suggestions?

This is a tough chore with only one player as only one person can be running kegs and hero-henchies are not exactly adept at dodging cyndr's attacks (they like to bunch up and all get hit by his AoE damage). If you are at HoS you should have Pyre. Try loading him up with degen stuff like Screaming Shot and Apply Poison; Spirit of Toxicity is also helpful (not sure if rotting flesh works on him but if it does... bring it along). Just poison and bleeding alone will be a -7 degen subtract his natural +4 regen and you have a total of -3. Add in spirit of Toxicity and you are back up to -5. If Rotting Flesh works on him you are up to -9. These degens all go past his armor, so there wont be anything he can do about it. You just have to survive. ^_^

Spread your heroes out and keep them off the burning ground. Any KD's and interrupts the other heroes can bring are always appreciated.

Well, I hope you were able to beat him. Let me know if you see me on and you still need a hand. ^_~

Last edited:
Finally!! Cyndr is defeated!!

Thanks to those of you who offered advice over the past month or so. I ended up doing it with heros and henchies all loaded with Life Stealing skills. I am so glad to have that done - a bit more and my Elementalist will have completed all four areas.

Congrats! My ele had difficulty too. I loaded him with water magic enchantments to keep his armor up and used heroes and henchies with life stealing skills also. It took a few tries to get the right combo.

Thanks - this is one of the hardest things I've faced so far in Guild Wars. And I've killed Shiro and Varesh and Prince Rurik - and a bunch of other very bad guys. But onward to the Central Transfer Station for me.

This was really difficult the first time I ran through it. Cyndr wiped my entire party of HH out and we never really did much damage.

I went back to EotN last night and ran it again with 2 other players. It always amazes me what a different game this is with human players running as a team vs. hench and hero teams. I've run probably 95% of the missions I've done so far solo just using HH. With human players we ran the whole mission in maybe 20 minutes tops. It wasn't even a challenge. Cyndr dropped in maybe 30 sec., if he even lasted that long.

Playing with people is really fun, but in nm the missions just don't really present much of a challenge to teams made up of human players. Is it different in hm?

Last edited:
Oh yeah - HM is a whole different ballgame.

Glad you made it past Cyndr. That was a big step for me back in 09 - I still hate having to go in there.

Abba, I hear you. I'm not looking forward to facing him again anytime soon. If I never see him again it will be too soon.

Cyndr was a huge pain when I tried it alone. The HH just bunch up too much to really do anything. They really limit your strategy. Last night I was using Pyre as a touch ranger. I think that he and Livia had already done a lot of damage before the carapace came off, but it's hard to say. All I know is that once his carapace was off his health had already dropped to maybe 5%. I think the team was almost all necros. It really helps having 2 other human players to run kegs of dynamite.

My next step is to face the Great Destroyer.

Hint - get your build to reduce fire damage - and just go for him. He is no where near as hard as Cyndr.

Let me know when you are going - maybe I can go with you.

Thanks for the tip. I gave it a go this afternoon just to map out the situation. I followed the wiki exactly, but he didn't seem to be reacting like they said he would.

I'm going to probably try to go after him again later tonight after my meetings. I should be on around 10 or 10:30 EST. I would love to have you come along. It's always good to have you in the group. If I catch you in-game I'll see what you're up to.

Monday is bad for me to connect with the east coast. I don't get home from Bible study until about 11:30 your time.

Now, on Tuesday I can come on early - say 7:30 your time - or possibly a little earlier - if you can wait until then. I can bring along Breath of the Great Dwarf and Pain Inverter - to keep us alive and put him down. If you have those skills try them yourself - you can get this guy.

We'll just try different combo's until we get him.

Man, Abba. I wish that we could have connected. I would have loved to have you along. I looked for you last night after I got home.

I took him down with a healthy dose of Pain Inverter, an interrupt ranger, and three monks. It took me a few times to get the team right, but I finally got him. I just mainly focused on flagging, calling targets and the PvE skills (especially Pain Inverter and Breath of the Great Dwarf) while my team did the rest. Never ending burning is somewhat annoying, isn't it?

I have another meeting tonight so I probably won't be on until around 10 or 11 EST again. Hopefully I'll catch you on.

Burning is a bear. Pain Inverter and Breath of the Great Dwarf - that's the ticket.

Congratulations - doesn't it feel great. Sorry I couldn't be there. I didn't get in game until midnight your time.

I'll look for you tonight.

Thanks, it feels fantastic, especially after getting another green item. I love having a new weapon to run missions with.

Hopefully we can connect tonight.

I'm definitely willing to help sometime. I really didn't like that guy. It just helps to have people who can run barrels with you.

What's your character name? I'll look for you in game.

Preacher, I was stuck there too for a long ol' time. Finally somebody showed me how to set up a touch ranger (I'm sure you can find it on PvXwiki). I brought a touch ranger hero and two life stealing necro heroes and it really helped.

Back