Defending Christianity...

Just wondering why you are "consistently surprised" by non-Christians defending Christians?
To be honest, I'm not entirely sure. Past experience should lead me to expect at least a few non-Christians to post in defense of Christian guilds, but I have a habit of expecting the worst from people--and there's always at least a few people who deliver on my expectations with rude, antagonistic, and hostile posts.

I see so many disrespectful online trends like "Jeebus" (thanks Simpsons; not only did you stop being funny after season 10, now you're blasphemous), "Zombie Jesus," and the Flying Spaghetti Monster. (One could argue that the FSM is satire of organized religion rather than Christianity, but the "ha ha, you're stupid and I'm going to make fun of you" attitude does nothing to further constructive debate on either side.)

Flying Spaghetti Monsters aside, my experience online has shown that public forums tend to present a completely inaccurate picture of people's views toward faith in general and Christianity specifically. Forums are overwhelmingly disproportionately comprised of people wanting to rail on faith, religion, and Christianity, whereas the majority of America is either fond of or indifferent toward Christianity.

Well Christianity is easy to make fun of...it's a huge religion and well, no one kills you for jokes :)

In my experience, the vast majority of atheists just don't CARE about other religions, no matter what it is. It's when those religions start infringing on the rights of others, religious or non, that starts raising ire. The same goes for followers of other religions, albeit to a smaller extent, for obvious reasons.

I agree with you on "Jeebus"...but wouldn't it have been considered blasphemous the FIRST time? I'm not a big fan of the Flying Spaghetti Monster or the Invisible Pink Unicorn, but honestly, they're manifestations of arguments that are easily identifiable.

How does the saying go? I may not believe in the things you say, but I'll defend your right to say them. True and applicable.

Oh, and I guess I should admit that while I may not use the term "Jeebus", do say, "such and such makes the Baby Jesus cry" quite often. ;)

Last edited:
Back