Detecting IDE drives

mrpopdrinker

Hello. When my computer starts up and it says detecting IDE drives (you know when the motherboard does its thing right when you turn on the PC) it freezes. Now I have been able to remedy the problem temporarily by taking the IDE cable out of my MOBO, and by IDE cable I mean the one that goes to my CD/DVD drives not the one that goes to my hard drive. Anyone have any idea on how to solve this? Thanks!

try switching power supply plugs to your drives, switch out ide cables too, sounds like it's not seeing all the drives right away, cehck to see if they appear in the BIOS

I think CCGR is probobly the right one, because your cd player was working before so the both can't be slave or master. Try taking out the drive and smell it, sometimes cd drives burn out, it happened to my CD-RW. I spent days trying to figure out whats wrong and finally I just took the CDRW out took it to future shop and the guy smelled it and told me that it burned out. Its a common problem.

Try replacing the IDE cables. When you switched the the floppy drives, you may have pressed an IDE cable onto a sharp edge and cut them. It doesn't take much and the IDE cable is toast. I recently fixed somebodies little boo boo where, unbeknownst to them, they pushed an IDE cable onto a transistor ontheir video card, started up the computer and fused the video card and IDE cable together.

Of course, I am assuming that you have ensure all the IDE cable connections are tight and inserted correctly (number 1 pin et all)

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Try replacing the IDE cables.
Yea I was thinking the same thing.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]When you switched the the floppy drives, you may have pressed an IDE cable onto a sharp edge and cut them.
Now that you mention it when I replaced the floppy I do remember that the cord to the CD-ROM did come loose.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Of course, I am assuming that you have ensure all the IDE cable connections are tight and inserted correctly
Yup. Thanks everyone I will let you know how it goes. I probably wont be doing it till tomorrow afternoon though.

WOOOT!! I fixed it!! There is one of two things that could have done it.
A. I got yet another IDE cable and this one was not broken and the others were.
B. My IDE ports were blocked by something as before I installed this new IDE cable (the third one) I diables something in a device manager called AXV CD/DVD-ROM SCSI CD-ROM Device. I dont even know if my MOBO has SCSI but this thingy was most likely blocking my IDE port.

Back