Diablo

Considering the point is to kill Diablo, I say no.

I am in fact awaiting Patch 1.10 for D2 which has been talked about for sooooooooo long... I neeed it man!

Sure, D2 is ancient now... but the game is so simple yet complex... no game can be compared to it. I liked Diablo, and I love Diablo 2... I hope I see a Diablo 3.

I don't play it...too many occultisms for me...it's a shame because you can kill him iwht out pentagrams all over the place.

Dungeon Siege is similar game play and a lot cleaner

I think people take Pentagrams the wrong way, I mean if they wanted to show an evil guys house is he going to have evil symbols sitting around or cute bunny pictures...
I think it has a few satanic features but no more then most games out there now adays. In the story his name is Diablo but its not realy satan if you have ever read the manual he is just a genaric demon they came up with and slapped on a cool sounding name.

Diablo basically translates to devil. El Diablo is used in reference to "the devil" which we pair up with Satan.

Also, Mephisto, Diablo's brother...what about him? Ever hear of Mr. Mephistopheles from the play "Cats"? Mephistopheles is Faust's demonic tempter I believe. Baal is a hands-down...multiple Phoenician gods I believe, Canaanite, too. Middle Eastern, especially around the Crescent.

BUT if you guys know anything about the game, you kind of turn into Diablo himself at the end of the game. Take his jewel and smash it on your skull and you turn into him. So yeah...
Sure the game takes place in hell...so what else is new? It's a fun game I suppose, and pentagrams...who cares? You're fighting demons and a larger demon...does it matter? I could play as a Necromancer, too, or a busty Amazon...does that make it evil? Hardly.

In conclusion, I think it's fine, so long as you're okay with some blood, violence and a relatively interesting story.

Maybe its satanic because there is no room for the real champion over evil, death and the devil in the game?  In the game, you did it without Gods help.  To further a point I made in another thread, how would you react to this:

You are sitting there playing Diablo (1 or 2, classic or LOD, your choice).  All of a sudden, Jesus is there standing behind you and asks:

Jesus:  "What are you doing?"
You:  "I am playing video game."
Jesus: "What video game is this?"
You:  "Its called Diablo.."
Jesus: "O..."
You:  "Yeah, you'll like it.  I take this busty amazon and go and kick diablos butt."
Jesus:  "Thats kind of neat.  How do I fit into the story?  After all, I will be the one who kicks his butt."
You:  "Oh, you are not in it.  I do it on my own with my own skills and my own weapons."
Jesus: "Oh, I see."

Well we might as well remove all games based on that, because none of the games involves God at all.

Sound ridiculous? Exactly.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Justice @ May 06 2003,5:27)]Well we might as well remove all games based on that, because none of the games involves God at all.

Well, seeing as you only play in extremes, sure, for you, remove all games.  But, for the person who actually puts thought into the situation before jumping of the deep end, its open ended.  This is how I feel the discussion with Jesus about the game diablo would go.   Maybe for you it would be different.

But, you didn't try the excersise.

Lets go another step further.

Jesus:  "What are you doing?"
You:  "I am playing video game."
Jesus: "What video game is this?"
You:  "Its called Microsoft Flight Simulator 2002.."
Jesus: "O..."
You:  "Yeah, you'll like it.  I fly a virtual plane from one destination to another"
Jesus:  "Thats kind of neat.  How do I fit into the story?"
You:  "You created laws of aerodynamics, gravity and motion that makes flight possible."
Jesus: "Oh, I see."

Oh, look at that, the excerise does work.  Its not perfect and requires personal reflection and it also requires people not to jump off the deep end.

EDIT------All enteries below this point are new.

Coming back to your off the deep end conclusion, did you come to that conclusion because you did not like the result I came to?  Would you have been jumping in joy if the result came to was:  Jesus accepting it?  I am sure you would have some choice joyous words if it did.  You might not have even posted if it concluded in agreeance with your position.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Justice @ May 06 2003,5:27)]

Your examples are exactly the same except for one thing:

You twisted both games to fit your feelings. The Flight simulator has no more to do with God than Diablo does, and no less. Let me show you:

Jesus: What are you doing?
Me: Playing Diablo.
Jesus: Oh, what does that have to do with me?
Me: You instructed us to do good and fight evil. I'm saving a village from the devil.
Jesus: Cool, can I play?

Wrong again.

I've twisted them based on my convictions and based on my fellowship and my relationship with the Lord. The Lord has taught me one away and I view the world through that filter. Although I can not see the physical presence of God in gravity, I can see his hand in its creation.

I do not see God in the game of Diablo, nor do I see his hand in its creation, either under the pretense of fighting evil or in the actual creation of the game. Thus I do not play it.

The conversation is based on how I see my fellowship with Lord, not based on your point of view.

If your example is based on how you believe the Lord would answer and react and is based on your fellowship with him and how the spirit has lead you, then by all mean, enjoy the game. But that is between you and God and not me.

You don't have to justify to me why you enjoy or play the game. Nor will I justify to you why I don't. The best way I can explain why I don't is based on my relationship with the Lord. And that relationship is between me and the Lord and try as I might, I will never get you to understand it. And the same is with you, try as you might, you will never get me to understand your relationship with God.

If you do not like the tool I use, then please feel free to not use it. I find it helpful to try a little role playing to help me make heads or tails of situations. And to reiterate, I try to base my "Jesus" responses on my relationship with him.

Me: Playing a game.
Jesus: Do something more useful with yourself.

WHINE FREAKING WHINE!

Me: Reading my brothers' bickering.
Jesus: Oh...I see. How do I fit in?
Me: They do it in the Name of God.
Jesus: Oh...I see. (Kinda twisted in that God kinda knows it all)

Jesus: Whatcha up to, dawg?
Me: Playing Diablo.
Jesus: Story?
Me: Fight a demon.
Jesus: And I come in where?
Me: Well....you gave us the power to create pixels, and gave us imagination, and gave us the ability to move our hands, and actin and spectrin to move our muscles........and then neuromuscular junctions where
Jesus: Okay, stop.

Get over it guys. It's a personal conviction based on the person's relationship with God and their feelings about games......wait.
Sax were you PreacherMan?! That hurts if you were.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ultima Avatar @ May 06 2003,8:02)]Get over it guys. It's a personal conviction based on the person's relationship with God and their feelings about games......wait.
I am beginning to wish I were.

Any admin, please do an IP check. I post at three IPs. Today I've posted at two of them. One at the accounting office and one at home. Both will be Shaw services. Tomorrow (Wednesday), I'll do a quick post from my third IP, which is a Telus connection at my manufacturing shop.

Go ahead a post to this thread or a new thread the IPs, TraceRTs, or pings if you will and confirm that I am not preacherman.

The mere thought that I would be associated Preacherman is sickening and troublesome. And if I were, Jammer (who happens to my cousin) would have dealt with me personally and privately.

If you think you would be hurt if I were PreacherMan, imagine the hurt of be accused.

perhaps if you must attack someone personally to justify your actions means you have guilt playing the game? Truth hurts guys. There's no gain in bashing eachother for minor things.

Remember

Agree on the majors (God, Jesus, Holy spirit)
Compassion onthe minors (agree to disagree when needed)
In all things love. Attacking eachother does not fit here does it??

CCGR, you are a super admin, you should be able to get my IP addy's from the postings.

I've tried to take a horrible event (PreacherMans posting) and tried to make some serious discussion from it, instead of troll feeding. Obvisiouly, he feels we are missing some boat. And whether people here like it or not, an outsider has made an observation that we don't like and we must take a look at ourselves to ensure that we are protraying the image we want to be.

Well, instead of trying to spend some time to reflect, we have decided to infight. Well, I will have no part of that. And then you point an accusing finger at me. Thank you. If somebody is concerned about image (cause obviously there could be a problem here) and tries to initiate a little step back and serious discussion to ensure things haven't changed for the worse and you attack them, you attack their initiative, you attack their attempt to bring in the infamous question WWJD, well, I will have no part of that either.

Fine no matter. All is forgiven.

/me shakes dust of boots and cloth and moves on.

The IP addresses do not match and I'm really sorry you guys actually would point the finger at one of our brothers in Christ. With all this bickering what kind of example are we? no wonder why people don't want to be Christians...we attack ourselves!!!!!!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ultima Avatar @ May 06 2003,9:02)]WHINE FREAKING WHINE!

For the record, Sax is not Preacherman, Ultima, If you cant see that Sax was simply trying to engage your/our thoughts and not "attack" you/us personally ,but to maybe just make us think for a little bit about your/our convictions about certain games you/we play or whatever comes to our minds that might relate to our lives,
then I think you better grow up and show a little respect, stop shooting your mouth off like some little child, and maybe take heed some of the words that are said/typed on this board, by some very respectful brothers and sisters in the Lord.

Mark 4:18-20 "Still others, like seed sown among thorns, hear the word: but the worries of this life, the deceitfulness of wealth and the desires for other things come in and choke the Word, making it un-fruitful. Others, like seed sown on good soil, hear the Word, accept it, and produce a crop-----thirty, sixty or even a hundred times what was sown"

What are you planting in YOUR soil by playing Diablo or even supporting it? Does Diablo "choke" The Word out of you by numbing your heart and mind? Give these things some actual thought, If you still want to play it.. fine... go ahead.. thats your conviction.. my conviction is too stay very far away from it.

Present yourself in a manner worthy of having an intelligent conversation in the future please.

YBIC,

Jon

I would like to go on the record saying this:

I believe it is possible to play a game such as Diablo purely for entertainment and not have it affect their spiritual life or their relationship with God.

I also believe, that for others, such games, as Jammer said, can choke out God from their lifes, as they become addicted to it, as their senses become numbed to evil some of the images represent or as they loose touch with the reality we are fighting a spritual battle.

If you have the conviction to play such a game and know that it does not affect you or your relationship with the Lord in a negative way, go ahead and play.

I think I have been pretty fair and careful not to judge those who like this game.  I certainly played this game for many hours on top of many hours for days on end well into the morning hours.  It began to affect my life negatively, less time with the family, grades started to slip and my dedication to work slipped too.  But, this can happen as a result of playing any game.  Not just with Diablo.

Everytime I've started to slip, I've re-examined my situation when somebody mentioned it.  Sometimes people are caring when they talk, and a few times somebody rudely awakens me.

And just from personal experience, I think Preacherman may have been somebody trying to wake us.  I think he was rude and obnoxious and lacked tact.  But, that does not change the fact that there could be an image problem.  Maybe there have been other that have come by and privatly said that it appears we are back sliding Christians, or compromising Christians.  When they do one hit wonders and run, or don't speak up at all, how are we to objectively look at ourselves in the mirror.

Maybe, instead of feeding this troll, we welcomed this guy, he would have been more open, more willing to point things out fairly and objectively.  Maybe he would have learned some tact and how to handle blow up situation with care, integrity and wisdom.

Wake up calls are not all that bad.  Jesus wrote seven letters to seven churches.  Each church thought they were doing good and doing Gods work and that Jesus would be proud of what they are doing.  I suggest, maybe we should all go back and read these letters.  They served as some serious wake up calls, especially the seventh church, Laodicea.

Believe it or not, this morning I was contemplating the best way to say to the members of this forum that I have decided to move on.  I haven't posted here much for months now.  And I really wasn't interested anymore.  But, instead of hitting, add post, I closed the browser and let about an hour of agonizing over every word disapear.  I suppose, at that moment I decided to give it one more chance.

Well, a little later, I noticed this PreacherMan's post, which heated my collar too and all the negative posts just slamming this guy.  A few posts were postive and were in an attempt to bridge the gap.  I figured there might be opportunity to use this as means to open a new type of "inward looking" discussion.  Something different and never seen here before.  Maybe something meaningful, not necessarily about video games.  But video games are our common thread or interest, so it would be a great place to start.

I have been watching the signs on the horizon.  And it really appears that the Lord is coming soon to claim us.  And I have always wondered, how will I react to his presence?  Would I be caught in the middle of something that I would be embarrassed about, would I find myself cowering and trying to justify some action?  Am I really prepared for his coming?

I think we can all agree that if the Lord came while we were enjoying ourselves at a strip club, we would have a very hard time explaining the situation.  Talk about humble pie.  But, could you explain yourself if it happened to be a video game, whether Diablo or MSFS or some Disney game, it doesn't matter.

I suppose, one of the struggles I am having with, is that when I do meet him face to face, I will finally understand how much he loved me, and I will question myself, why didn't I do more?  And I would have a hard time explaining why I played a flight simulator when maybe I should have been sharing Gods love with a friend, a family member or a complete stranger.

So, also, in asking you here to reflect, I am also seriously reflecting inward.  Why am I playing any games on the computer?  Why am I taking enjoyment in any type of entertainment?  Even if it is purely for entertainment purposes, is there a way to take that time and give it to God?  Even if it is playing Diablo.

My father brought up a thought that I have spent some time in meditation on.  His thought was:  Each moment of time we receive is a gift from eternity.  And when we are done with it (as it passes) it goes back to eternity.

I am begining to believe that it is how we act during that moment, whether we do something for God or something selfishly, that moment in time that passes back into eternity, is deposited in our account, is in part how we store up treasures in heavan.  At least, I am begining to believe that this is the beginning of it.

I hope, with all this, that people begin to see why I wanted to use this as a catalyst to some deeper discussion.  I want to grow some ideas, feedback and maybe a greater understanding of some deeep issues, instead of bickering about interpretations of a website, a verse or whether pre/post/mid trib is correct.  I suppose I should have laid it all out.  But to what effect will that have.  I think some people would have been more frightened to engage into such a deep topic or issue.  The guise of a gaming issue would likely have brought more people into the discussion.

Anyway, there you have it.

---

Here is the edit:

btw...when I said I shake the dust off, its not in relation to me leaving, rather, I am just shaking the burden and the hurt and simply forgiving (which I mentioned) and letting the dirt go.

Ummmm.........I didn't mean that he WAS the Preacherman, but..."This is how I feel the discussion with Jesus about the game diablo would go."
Preacherman used that Jesus instance if He was to walk in while we were playing a videogame.
THAT'S the only reason why I asked. I wasn't attacking, I was asking.

Please don't leave Sax! Aah!
Well...I think we all wonder that. I mean, what if you were smoking a cigarette, swigging some alcohol, in a strip pub, when Jesus came and called His followers home? Rather embarassing...He comes like a thief at night, and we're told to be clothed, and prepped, not to be caught with our pants down.

Understanding your feelings. I've asked that, too, but then, I just don't worry about it. God will come when God comes, and if I am doing something ungodly at that instant, may he terribly forgive me...we live in a world of sin, but are not OF this world of sin...we don't HAVE to entertain sin, but we usually do.

Okay, Ultima out.

Back