disk space problems

Blkstones

so, as the title reads, im having disk space problems on my pc.

ive deleted some games i dont play, got rid of most of the downlaoded music on my pc (its all on my psp anyway) and deleted some things i found on my harddrive i dont use/need. all that done i have about 4.6 gigs of disk sapce left, which is about 6%. idk where the 60gig of disk sapce on my pc is being used but i need some of it free'd up for the new ffxi expansion lol.

any tips to free up more disk space? ive alrdy done system cleanup and my disk sapce is too low to do a disk defragmentor

Google "Tune up utilities" and download the free trial. Not only will it help clean up your computer a TON, but there's a sub-program that will tell you what all your hard drive space is dedicated to (11% music, 24% movies, 33% documents, etc.)

Considering how much cheaper storage is becoming, it might not hurt to think about investing in a large storage unit.

Get a bigger drive, chances are you will experience close to double the read speed with a more dense drive from what you have now. You can actually copy over the partition wholesale and move data from the primary partition out to the rest of the drive. Of course you will need to rebuild the boot sector with the windows install cd.

I got my 500GB recently for like $110, and the prices have dropped even more.

Disable your system restore. First change your system restore size down to 200MB (i believe this is the lowest setting) then restart your pc and then turn off system restore.
ps.just remember you will not have system restore points. You can enable it back at any time. This also will speed up your system because system restore backs up everything all the time.

Download and run CCleaner.

beat me to the chase. Yeah Crap Cleaner is like one of the most amazing temp cleaners and pc file cleaners available for cleaning up messes that computer programs can leave to clean up.

...ive deleted some games i dont play...

You don't play World of Warcraft, do you? WoW downloads updates regularly and doesn't automatically delete the update files. I was running low on disk space a few months ago and freed up a ton of space by deleting the temp files from my wow directory. I'm not sure if that's the case with other games as well.

Pretty much all the stuff they said, plus there are some good tips here (some are repeats of what others have said): http://searchwincomputing.techtarget.com/tip/0,289483,sid68_gci1252850,00.html

Do you have a digital camera? Pictures can quickly eat up a TON of space. Check your picture folder and/or do a search of your computer for picture files.

Back