DK Tank spec.

so your saying DKs are OP in PvP while in frost presence?
coming from a ret pally who is able to absolutly pwn all life itself?

:p

Wish I had trolled the forums when this thread first started...i dont really know where to pick up or if there's anything TO pick up being the DK class lead and all >.< *cough* Proud has pretty much been spot on with everything he's said. I'll have to read the patch notes again to see what's becoming different with tanking.

The common misconception so far with DK tanking is that frost IS the no. 1 tanking spec. I would have to disagree since i could pick out possibly three things in the entire tree that would make it viable for JUST tanking. But I could do the same for the other two trees as well, so for now, before the patch...i would argue that any deeply specd tree would make a good tank. In saying that, I believe with every tank spec there are certain talents each one needs to have...toughness for example that is in the frost tree should go for any DK spec if they want to tank. In the end, right now i believe you could argue back and forth to no end about the 'best' tanking spec. It comes down to what you're more comfortable with. IF I HAD to choose though...I'd argue that blood, you could survive better as a tank (deep blood/frost), Frost gives you more threat (ex. howling blast)..but this kinda becomes null since you could spec deep frost and get runetap but prob not vamp blood (which is niiiice...I"m arguing in my head now.) Unholy, I honestly need to try or read up more on to be honest. I view it right now as talents that slow the enemy down more than allow them to beat on you if you catch my drift....I've avoided unholy to no end but now i really need to look into it.
Think I've rambled enough. If I've said anything wrong let me know..these are the impressions i have right now. I definately need to do some more research...I know mostly about DPS but I'll look more into tanking with DK's. (For some reason I feel like I've beaten a dead horse with this entire post.)

And Gala, I would almost agree with you with the OP in PvP from the world pvp I've come across. Mages are my downfall and locks if they keep me feared but i havent done bg's or arenas so not sure if you're right or wrong there :p But I do know with a hunter I could kill them in 4-5 hits, and casters i just silence and 2-3 hit them ^.^ and rogues....they get what they deserve. DKs are their bane and I LOVE IT!

o unholy dks are horrid ill kill the first part and then their stupid ghoul forms demolishes you and they sitll get a win even though they are dead

(For some reason I feel like I've beaten a dead horse with this entire post.)

o_O

there is a word i'm trying to think of but i cant think of it cuz i iz stooped so i'll get back to you.

thanks for your patients and understanding.

*Back to the DK tanking*

Since DK's can't wield shields, your best bets for picking a good tanking weapon (and other pieces) is going to be def (until cap'd at 540) and anything with High dodge / parry / stam / hit. No block means u have to stack avoidance. Strength is going to be a big factor since it increases DK's parry rating by 0.25 per pt of STR (per WoWWiki).

As far as builds go, threat never comes into an issue until you have AoE heavy pulls (reco.....). So you really want to go for talents that have damage mitigation in them. I've put together something i felt would be best suited to this task while still keeping threat gen in mind. Feel free to comment/nitpick. And keep in mind I chose each ability for a specific reason (i.e NOT RANDOM) so if you're looking at the build going, "Why would anyone in their right mind go for that point when CLEARLY blah blah slander against Angry..." just ask me and I'll explain in detail.

:D

this is of course for DW tanks. if u want to go for 2H then put 2 points into blood inc. dmg w/ 2H and ur extra point somewhere else. or just go to elitistjerks.com its where i go for all the technical stuff anyway :p

i like that build. what about something like this as well?

14/44/13

acclimation is more of a PvP spec then it is a PvE thing.
"at gives 50 resist per stack, stacks 3 times stacks with frost aura, so at 80 you could have as high as 230 in one or more resist" "it can stack with multiple elements at a time" (the link where i found this data)

i also changed the DW aspect of it for a 2H.

thoughts?

according to elitistjerks the 2H tank is, atm, better suited that DW. HOWEVER you NEED to make sure you are def cap'd before you switch to 2H tanking. So you might find yourself doing a bit of DW'ing in heroics and 10 mans until you can get well enough over the cap to drop your def weps for a high stam / str wep. I would also go with the 10/54/7 build santoluz put up after more research into the build and looking at elitistjerks.

That build works great for me, but I'm finding threat gen and pulling aggro from healers a large problem. I'm sure it's a shortfall on my part as a new tank, but I'm wondering if other classes need to change their dynamics when a DK is tanking. When you have multiple spiders coming after the healer and DnD is on cooldown, it's hard to pull them off.

DK's Dark Command needs to be an AoE taunt, yeah that will fix it. To the boards people!!!!

That build works great for me, but I'm finding threat gen and pulling aggro from healers a large problem. I'm sure it's a shortfall on my part as a new tank, but I'm wondering if other classes need to change their dynamics when a DK is tanking. When you have multiple spiders coming after the healer and DnD is on cooldown, it's hard to pull them off.

DK's Dark Command needs to be an AoE taunt, yeah that will fix it. To the boards people!!!!

i changed up my build to spec morbidity so DnD is on a much shorter CD.

also get the DnD glyph. it does 20% more dmg with it so thus, more threat from it.

We need to run some quests/instance together, Masta. It's hard leveling a resto shamy with no support when horde want to get a few more points. My shammy is 76 and can run the Halls and Gun. Look me up!

We need to run some quests/instance together, Masta. It's hard leveling a resto shamy with no support when horde want to get a few more points. My shammy is 76 and can run the Halls and Gun. Look me up!

i'm always down to run stuff when i'm online.
1 level away from 80, i need to get my 540 def and parry up there so i can start running higher level stuff.

Back