DoA

Bakey

Have you guys done a DoA run? I see you've done Urgoz and are about to do UW. Just wondering if you've given DoA a shot and if so what build you used.

I've done DoA a lot when Ursan was still viable. Idk how you would do it now. Its pretty nasty in there, but I'd to give it a go sometime.

My experience is the same as STC. I've done a lot of Ursan there, but haven't been back since the nerf. Just haven't been able to find a pug willing to do it.

I'd love to go. We just need to come up with a viable build for it.

Aaarrrgggg - not Easter weekend! Absolutely no way I can even think about trying to go.

We're just gonna run some of our standard builds there and see how well they work. SF eles, a 55 or perma-sin, an obsidian flesh tank, 1-2 bonder monks, a rit or 2. If we find something that works I'll let you guys know.

We started in Torq'ca with an Obsidian flesh tank, a bonder (me), a WoH heal monk, an Imbagon, a searing flames nuker, an SS necro, and 2 barrage rangers. Everyone but the tank and the monks had lightbringer's gaze and one of the rangers was spamming Pain Inverter and Splinter weapon.

Basically we kept the tank bonded, let him aggro and get a group balled up, then the ele would put up deep freeze and drop meteor shower. The SS necro would hex everyone in sight and the 2 rangers would go nuts with splinter weapon barrages while the Imbagon kept everyone save with SY and TNTF. It worked pretty well and we wouldn't have died any at all if we'd been more careful about aggro.

I'm relatively new to these specialized builds for particular areas. Could you post a good Obsidian Flesh tank build - and FIre Elementalist - and WoH monk.

I am trying to learn to terra tank and terra farm now - by the 18th I should be better at it.

The link Kyrel posted is a good SF nuker and Obsidian Flesh build. As for WoH, just bring your favorite spammable monk heals with Word of Healing as your elite. It's short cast time, recharge time, and low energy cost mean you can to huge spike heals to anyone who gets into trouble.

As for everyone else, lightbringers gaze, pain inverter, spoil victor, and interrupts work very well in Torc'qa. For the next area, Stygian Veil, we're going to alter our build a bit to run trappers to take care of all the Stygian Hunger spawns there.

EDIT - here's the code for the WoH build I run: OwAS0YITaEbE0VOgfEWEtEoR
And here's the DoA Bonder: OwUTM03C1whxTe0Lkp8ByEA

Last edited:
I will second the unlikelihood of actually having a specialized team show up, especially since I'm posting 1 day before the event. :)

In case anyone still isn't sure what they would like to run, here are some suggestions (mostly copied/pasted from the UW thread). The groups in DoA are varied by profession, so a "general" group will work - assuming that people perform their given function well.

-- I would recommend each team at least have a tank, whether it be a W/E (linked above) or E/
http://pvx.wikia.com/wiki/Build:E/Me_Enchanted_Tank
Two optional skills: sliver armor and earth attunement. If you are an experienced obby tank and know how to e-manage well, you probably want ebon battle standard of honor instead of earth attune.

-- Healing/protection, obviously (more on monks after this post)

-- Lightbringer skills - Gaze and signet will obviously work well here.

-- Enemies hit hard here, so weakness is great...so why not bring it if you're playing a character that makes sense to do so - Withering Aura(death)/enfeeble or enfeebling blood (blood)/You Are All Weaklings! (norn)/Anthem of Weariness (command)
Bottom line: Weakness + Save Yourselves = 94% damage reduction and BOTH are very easy to passively use

-- Nukers are great everywhere, this is no exception. Bring your favorite savannah heat or searing flames build.

-- Crit barrage + technobabble with a silencing string/high asuran rank is very, very nice for shutting down the large groups.
Note: Ranger barragers should seriously consider going /W with for great justice/save yourselves and have someone ELSE use splinter or GDW on you. Think of it as..."I could go /Rt and spec 10 points to stop attacking and cast a weapon spell on myself that one of the support party members could easily cast on me...or I could effortlessly maintain ~82.5% damage reduction on the entire team while doing the same damage (or more)" Maybe baragers (sin OR ranger) could throw in You're all weaklings! for good measure?

-- If you are a frontliner, please bring some type of blocking or other means of self defense. Don't be the person with 8 attack skills on your bar with no self-defense or res. :)

-- Anyone who can spam save yourselves consistently - an Imbagon, R/W barrager, etc. I'll be bringing my normal A/W build (moebius DB with for great justice/SY) If you can not consistently get 8 adren under 3 seconds, don't bother with this skill.

-- Splinter Weapon/Great Dwarf Weapon - If you are support and your team has barragers, scythers, or other aoe attackers (like axers), bring GDW. If not, (or if you don't have GDW), bring splinter.

-- Ebon battle standard of honor is incredible. I'd recommend you have this on one frontliner and one backliner.

-- Blood is power support, blood renewal, mark of pain/fury, etc necro support is wonderful

-- Don't feel the need to limit yourself to the above, they're just suggestions

Last edited:
I can totally run a bonder, but I do have to work tomorrow. What time are you guys going to get started?

Ok, on monks...I will just say that Unyielding aura far outclasses other elites ever since the buff, both for healing and prot. Right now a lot of folks are catching on, but I thought to be fair I'd talk a little bit about why. I would also like to state I'm trying to pick at Bakey for mentioning WoH, 'cause WoH is awesome. :) Just thought I'd put a detailed analysis here.

First, let's compare UA to WoH (typically a favorite). The biggest thing we need to realize here, that while the potential heal from WoH is HUGE, we can't spam it endlessly (due to recharge). So, what typically happens is we alternate WoH with another spell (like patient spirit) and that is our real maximum healing capacity under pressure.

On a 14HP/13DF pure healing bar:
Word of healing + Patient Spirit: 216 + 42 + 114 + 42 = 414 (207 per heal)
* Assumes target is under 50% health...else this only adds up to 320

Patient Spirit + Dwayna's Kiss (Under UA): 176 + 42 + 139 + 42 = 399 (~200 per heal)
* Assumes target has no enchants or hexes on them whatsoever. In PvE, it's not uncommon to get 300-400 from a single Dwayna's kiss alone. I know I'm counting the enchant from PS here, but this is still pretty fair I think.

Conclusion? WoH barely out-heals UA for single targets...in the best of conditions. In actual practice, it lags far behind, with PS + DK often doing 500-600 and you don't have to wait until someone drops below 50%. Add in the fact that UA boosts all of the rest of your spells, as well.

So why not just run healer's boon for the extra speed/no -1 regen? It's basically a trade-off of...
* UA = -1 pip, HB gives increased cast speed (not typically an issue though since monk spells cast quickly)
* UA = affects healing prayers AND prot (dismiss condition), and most importantly, divine favor heals (heaven's delight/dismiss condition), effectively adding an extremely large amount of healing that HB doesn't for just 1 pip
* UA = Insta-res to full health/energy. With 2 UA monks, you can res 4 people in less than one second. This is incredible for reducing party wipes...especially if a monk drops (which can otherwise be devastating). Every other res in the game either a) isn't reusable b) takes too long to cast (especially for a monk in mid battle) c) doesn't res with much health/energy or d) is vengeance
* UA allows prot monks to run viably with 12/12 with no points in healing, and still do a lot of healing anyway

Builds:
Just guidelines, but here's what I typically run on heroes (or recommend for players)

* UA Protter:
http://pvx.wikia.com/wiki/Build:Mo/E_Unyielding_Aura_Monk
(If using a hero to prot, replace PS and GolE with power drain/leech signet and go 11+1+1/10+1/10 for DF/Prot/Insp. Heroes aren't very smart with PS/GolE at all.)
- If you are wanting to bond, you can go 12/12 with:
(divine healing/heaven's delight/aegis/Shield of Absorption/UA/blessed sig/life bond/balth spirit) - or some combination thereof. You'll still want to hang back, but can support the backline well with DH/HD/SoA.

* UA Healer:
http://pvx.wikia.com/wiki/Build:Mo/Me_Unyielding_Aura_Healer
Cure hex for optional.
If using a Hero, replace leech sig with ether signet. 11+1+1/10+1/10 suggested.
If using this on a player, you could just ignore the /Me and drop in divine spirit (selfless spirit may end prematurely more than you'd like as DH/HD will end it). You may also want to squeeze vigorous spirit in there - it's incredible for over-time healing on an often-damaged target and adds another enchant for DK. Basically a healer's boon build with UA instead.

Last edited:
Back