Dragon Age: Origins

wowAbdi

Who's playing it?
Who's loving it?
Who's hating it?
Why did I cancel my preorder?

Figured I'd post a forum for people to express their thoughts on this game as it just released today. Unfortunately some unforseen expanses came up for me and I had to cancel my fully paid pre-order. I've been waiting for 2 years for this game, I think I can wait till I get paid again. Would like to get a feel from other players what they think, especially graphics wise as my pc only meet's minimal spec's :-(.

Happy Hunting
Ericin / Kutless / Damentia

Once i read a few reviews on how in runs, I will probably pick it up for PS3 since it has mouse + keyboard support on there.

As far as content in Dragon Age (I've been watch the vids/review for a few weeks). I don't mind the violence in it as long as it is on moral grounds. So you behead things or whatever I am fine with that, David did after all. The gore bugs me some becuase like other games it usually seems to be glorifying violence for the sake of violence rather than for realism. Regardless I can still tolerate it if a game has something else to it. The deciding factor is I just won't buy anything supporting sex in it. I know, I know Bioware is more than likely just pushing the envelope just enough to spark pubescent boys to buy it. Things like the Mass Effect scene may not be as graphic as the gossip says but the industry will continue to push us down the path toward mainstream acceptable adult content as long as we buy their edgy games.

As far as gameplay I'm also getting tired of developers saying their multiple path game will not be cut and dry good or evil paths riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. I've seen several of the choices you can make in DA. Here is an example: give starving prisoner food to eat or knife prisoner and rob him. <sarcasm> Hmmmm boy that choice is so grey >.< </sarcasm>. Deus EX is the only game I've seen that did the whole multiple choice thing right.

I was slightly interested in the game before I learned about the above issues. So don't think I'm just looking at it now, I have been for weeks. I even played through the flash game.

For me it's back to editing out 200+ vulgarities in Stalker and debating the possible pros and cons of Borderlands. (I am enjoying removing the language in Stalker though. I guess I like fixing things >.< .)

Last edited:
I'm playing it, and loving it.
I'm totally a sucker for the collectors editions of games, especially if they give you lots of extra fun goodies (like the cloth map...)

I haven't gotten very far at all (i don't think I'm even out of the tutorial yet) but already I wonder what would happen if i had made certain choices just a bit differently...

Just bought Torchlight (so fun!) so it's going to be awhile before I get another fantasy game. :x

Took that poll on IGN to see which I should pick up, DA or ME2. Mass Effect 2 won. :p

Man I want to play DA so bad, but i cant afford another game right now. Been following it for years as a huge BG fan.

@keero Wow the TL demo was so fantastic, i really want it!!

My gaming budget is severely limited while unemployed, Dragon Age: Origins has no multiplayer component (most of my gaming on the computer tends to be multiplayer; I have four consoles and two handheld systems on which to play single-player games), the game is set in a fantasy universe (which, for me, is a negative, but that's only because I've burned out on fantasy settings), and I already have a considerable backlog of games to play through.

All that being said, if I had the expendable income, I'd probably cave and buy Dragon Age. Yes, it's single-player, but with an estimated 80 hours of gameplay, I think I would get my money's worth. I've wanted to play a BioWare RPG for some time now, especially since having trouble finding another RPG with a more mature (in the dictionary definition sense of the word; not the ESRB rating) storyline on the PS2.

And while the game is set in a fantasy universe (and the whole "orcs and elves" thing is almost as played out as World War II first-person shooters), BioWare has a reputation for doing fantasy right.

Still, time and money are the two most important factors when deciding whether or not to buy a new game, so I have to pass, at least for now.

But I noticed Mass Effect is on sale for $10 on Steam today. It's a BioWare game set in an original sci-fi universe available on the cheap. That I might not be able to resist, even if it means pushing other games down a few lines on my backlog.

Mass Effect is a great game. I recommend it. Bioware is pretty much on a roll right now, and is currently one of my top three most respected developers (the others being Relic and Bethesda). That is, I have yet to play a game of theirs I haven't thoroughly enjoyed.

Mass Effect is a great game. I recommend it. Bioware is pretty much on a roll right now, and is currently one of my top three most respected developers (the others being Relic and Bethesda). That is, I have yet to play a game of theirs I haven't thoroughly enjoyed.
When it comes to Mass Effect, my concern is more with time than money. Aside from the aforementioned backlog, there's also the matter of my job search.

It's difficult enough to stay focused on searching for a job when the last 18 months have yielded no lasting results. It's even more difficult when I know that I can load up an awesome single-player RPG in a few clicks after craigslist, once again, turns up nothing but spam and scams. At least with Team Fortress 2 and Left 4 Dead, I can stay disinterested until the evening hours when more of the people I play with regularly are online and available to play.

Ironically, if I were working, I'd probably have purchased Mass Effect for $10 and started playing it guilt-free.

the game is set in a fantasy universe (which, for me, is a negative, but that's only because I've burned out on fantasy settings), and I already have a considerable backlog of games to play through.

You could replace most of the narrative from the trailer and place it onto LOTR footage and it would not be out of place at all. Fantasy is the most abused theme that it is an instant turn off unless they actually try to innovate somewhere. Sadly most companies just stroke the franchise hoping it will spew out money somehow.

You could replace most of the narrative from the trailer and place it onto LOTR footage and it would not be out of place at all. Fantasy is the most abused theme that it is an instant turn off unless they actually try to innovate somewhere. Sadly most companies just stroke the franchise hoping it will spew out money somehow.
Agreed. Dragon Age seems to do a better job than most, though. Even so, I'd still prefer an original sci-fi (especially a "not too distant future" contemporary sci-fi) setting. But last I checked, no one's developing a Dennou Coil video game yet.

Pity.

I really want this game...
Me too.

That's why I'm getting ready to buy Mass Effect for $10 instead. By the time I finish Mass Effect, maybe there will be a sale on Dragon Age. Better yet, maybe by then, I'll have a job and dropping $50 on a game won't sting nearly as badly.

Well, it is available on steam, so there's probably a good chance of it getting in on some sweet Christmas sales...

Well, it is available on steam, so there's probably a good chance of it getting in on some sweet Christmas sales...

Great idea.

In the mean time I downloaded the trial to Torchlight... The demo has greatly surpassed my expectations for a $20 game.

I think I will buy it once I get paid.

My friend bought it (Torchlight) cause he loved the demo so much. 2 days later he said he was horribly bored. It is awesome at first and then becomes the same thing repeated, real fast. Honestly, the demo might be all you need.

My friend bought it (Torchlight) cause he loved the demo so much. 2 days later he said he was horribly bored. It is awesome at first and then becomes the same thing repeated, real fast. Honestly, the demo might be all you need.
Keero recommended the download, so I decided to give it a shot.

I played the demo for about 15 minutes then asked Keero if I had to finish the demo. :p I haven't loaded the demo since.

I recognize it's a well-built game, but it doesn't seem repetitive--and a danger for anyone at risk for carpal tunnel syndrome or other wrist problems. In that way, it is indeed a spiritual successor to Diablo.

...and a danger for anyone at risk for carpal tunnel syndrome or other wrist problems.

What game doesn't give people carpal tunnel syndrome...

=P

For the record I "splurged" and spent the $20 on it and I think its a great game for the price. I can get a little repetitive in that you go to the same people for quests and kill all monsters in the same fashion (clicking them with the right mouse button).

HOWEVER, for a $20 game it is very elaborate. Each of the 3 classes has 3 separate trees to spec in (very similar to WoW) and each difficulty setting (there are 8 of them) has its own different set of maps/levels/whatever you wanna call them. So theoretically there are 72 different ways to beat the game.

...I recognize it's a well-built game, but it doesn't seem repetitive--and a danger for anyone at risk for carpal tunnel syndrome or other wrist problems. In that way, it is indeed a spiritual successor to Diablo.

Does or does not seem repetitive?

Last edited:
Sounds like he played it on Normal, which really should be renamed Easy or Casual. Hard and Very Hard are for gamers. And it is really not repetitive once you find the right difficulty, there is plenty of variety in enemies, dungeon settings, skills/classes, and loot (A LOT of loot).

In fact, it is because of Torchlight that I am reserving my Dragon Age playing time to one of the holiday breaks. Bioware (and Obsidian/Black Isle) RPGs are best played without interruption.

Tek, if you prefer sci-fi settings, I think you will really enjoy Mass Effect. They really worked on the universe lore to a very detailed extent that most sci-fi fans shall be pleased. Though, I will warn you that the sidequests are repetitive in design/look/feel to a fault. Then you can anticipate for Mass Effect 2 in Jan. 2010 (where the sidequest problems are remedied).

Last edited:
Back