dream game project, who's interested?

Danfun64

basically, for those who don't know me, there are two things that i absolutly love. Machinima making and Old-school shooters. Unfortunatly the ladder rarely pleases me because most old school shooters are either satanic (qw,q3) or have custom made maps that has satanic stuff in it(dp,wsw), not to mention gibs and more gibs(q2). I want to create a project that will change all that. Basically, i want to make a game that has the quake world feeling, without the quake world satanic influence.
the trouble is that i have no experience in coding or creating models, plus if i did the project myself it would take forever, so i want to form a team that will help me create my dream game.
assistance
Here are some of the things that have to be in there:
1.Automatic evil symbol detection :if there is, for example, a couple pentagrams in a level in the geometry or in textures, it would change the level to remove them if they are in geometry or blur the texture if it's in, well, the texture.
2.players disappear instantly when they die if by conventional methods (this is to prevent teabagging on slower paced game modes)/gibs will be replaced as sparks(there will still be blood, its toggleable and you can make it any color you want, so long as its not red/pink/orange)
3.server-side swear filter out of the box: basically, you dont have to install stuff like filters to use swear filter. Hopefully the swear filter will also come with several profanities to block out of the box.
4: if you still think the game is too violent (quake like weapons will still be in there, though the axe will be replaced with a stun stick) then you can activate cartoon mode which replaces the guns and player models with silly things.
5: several gamemodes: from the typical dm and ctf, to the team oriented tf mode, to silly modes like prop hunt (players who played this mode on tf2,cs:s (known as hide n seek) and/or gmod will know what i'm talking about), to serious cs like modes like bomb planting and hostage rescue, to rocket arena/team arena modes (perfect for machinima making if you want to use actors instead of scripting [yes, you can make machinima with scripting] to race mode (similar to defrag)
6: clean atmosphere: maps will be colorful, and might have the occasional fish/cross/bibleverse to encouredge christians

who wants to join my big project, and what game engine should i use?
darkplaces?
ioquake3?
qfusion?
ezquake?
egl?
r1q2?

i think i found the perfect game engine for my project, http://www.fteqw.com/ has it. Full support for quake 1 sp,netquake,quakeworld,quake2,quake3,Hexen 2, Nexuiz, and map support for half life. This will allow my the evil symbol detector to have a lot of ground lol. Now, who wants to join my project?

Unreal tournament is old, and you can turn gibs off. You should try quake live. Its just the multiplayer of quake 3. I don't think it will be easy making your game, and I don't think you would have it finished within 6 months, so just giving you some options if you want to play old shooters while you make it.

I play on specific clean servers of urban terror (like trick jumping servers, which ql lacks atm :p )

If there are any clean ut servers out there let me know (doesnt mean im going to quit this project though)

The automatic evil stuff-remover is what makes me want to work on this. The lack of satanic stuff in custom maps in quake live over warsow is a huge plus, but ql is still gothic. I tried to edit the textures of quake 3 to remove the satanic stuff, but it was all in vain, as i would have to look at it to remove it, and just looking at it was too much.

i know this will not be an easy task, but hey, it's possible! Valve did something similar with their ai director 2.0 for l4d2, which could edit maps in real time!

Last edited:
To be frank, what you are suggesting be made is virtually a pipe dream. Such a program would have be able to identify patterns in both geometry and textures, and do so at a level of sophistication that I have never heard of existing anywhere. The same reason captchas work is the reason why this could not.

Moreover you seem to be suggesting that it would be some kind of multi-game tool, which would mean that it would have to be able to recognize and effectively modify a multitude of file types. Trying to do so in real time would make it even more impossible.

You are also mistaken about how the AI director works. It does not modify maps at all, but rather chooses from a variety of preset configurations. If this is the most an ambitious effort on Valve's part can produce, I would submit that since you say you have no coding or modeling experience that you ought to simply abandon this particular aspiration.

I would not go so far as to suggest that you give up any hope of making any of your other ideas a reality, but you'd best go out and some real practical experience working with development tools before you go and try to assemble a team to work on any such project; otherwise you will likely end up just giving ideas while others do all the work.

On a different note, I do not believe that any Christian secure in their faith should be so distressed by satanic symbolism that they are incapable of looking upon them. Such things have no power over those whose strength is in Christ, and as we are enemies of the world, it is inevitable that we will encounter them. Revulsion might be an appropriate response, but it should not overpower us.

your right, i should learn stuff myself before i do this project, plus im not going to make it a multi-game tool, that would be practically impossible because of the reasons you said. I need suggestions on what to learn. Should i learn quakec and go with ezquake, or should i go with java and go with jake 2

any clean ut servers, anyone?

One for UT3 right on these forums. I think someone may have a 2004 server running too.

As far as content recognition (pentagrams/etc) with graphics concerned, as others have said...this is a no go. It is possible, but the effort involved is immense (understatement of the day). Alternate (and much more realistic solution): content approval. Don't allow any unapproved graphics, textures, sprays or mods into the game. Delegate the task. Done.

The other consideration is what happens when you put people in game with voice chat and text chat. Again, you'd have to filter (being very heavy handed on offense if you don't want to see any in game), and voice recognition (feeding text into your text chat filter) would help as well.

General comments:
Programming a game is not exactly an easy task. There is a reason that when the credits roll on AAA titles, you see hundreds of people who worked on the project for years. These people are not amateurs, either. These are people who excel in their particular area. I’m not trying to discourage you…but I do want you to be realistic with what you are doing so that you are able to start on a task that can actually be accomplished. If it takes 100 people 1 year to do something, it will take 1 person 100 years to accomplish.
Here’s a few examples of what I’d consider “doable” by a small group of amateur people. These are just my .02, so please don’t feel I’m trying to limit you:
A flash game
A game mod for an existing game
A 2D Game (GREATLY reduces the amount of programming, graphics work, etc needing done)

One last note: since (from what I gather) you are new to programming/game design in general, I’ll agree with the comment above that you have some learning to do. I’d suggest you check out XNA studio (http://creators.xna.com/). XNA studio is a Visual Studio SDK extension for building games for Windows and Xbox. You can run your projects on a 360 or a PC using the keyboard, a controller, or an Xbox controller for input...and you can deploy a game directly to XBox Community Games to sell. They have a ton of example games, and a ton of tutorials for learning. It’s also a good place to hook up with other aspiring game designers. I think the best bonus here is…even if you don’t end up in a career as a game programmer…it won’t hurt to learn .Net programming. At the very least, I would look through their 2D and 3D tutorials to give yourself an idea of how things differ.

PS: don't bother with java.

As far as content recognition (pentagrams/etc) with graphics concerned, as others have said...this is a no go. It is possible, but the effort involved is immense (understatement of the day). Alternate (and much more realistic solution): content approval. Don't allow any unapproved graphics, textures, sprays or mods into the game. Delegate the task. Done.

Content Signing: Done

In all seriousness your probably better off just modifying maps to not have the symbols and running a "pure" server on a game you already like. Building a new one isn't a walk in the park.

PS: don't bother with java.

Java earns all its bad rep from trying to reinvent the wheel and failing miserably. Well that and it consumes 2-3x more memory then it should...

--

Qt is also a good start. You can use QPainter on an OpenGL widget to easily draw primitives and text. There is a tad bit of overhead compared to using native opengl but it provides an easy entry into 2d graphics. Also if you use their memory model (child/parent relations) then you wont need to clean up after yourself so much. It makes working with C++ a tad easier. Also their IDE, Qt Creator, is top notch.

You could also look at Unity 3D. They support C#/Mono and javascript for the programming side of things. That might be a better idea if you want decent physics, graphics, sound and networking working "out of the box". You can also build applications that run in a browser provided the users install a plugin. But there is still a steep learning curve.

ok i give up. Thanks for the suggestions guys. Guess my worst fear is right, and my idea IS impossible :(

Maybe the idea would work in 10 years, but im not going to wait that long.

Once again thanks, i guess i will have to stick to the ut series.

ok i give up. Thanks for the suggestions guys. Guess my worst fear is right, and my idea IS impossible :(

Maybe the idea would work in 10 years, but im not going to wait that long.

Once again thanks, i guess i will have to stick to the ut series.

Not sure why you are thinking content management is impossible...really only need to manage three things:
1) Text Filtering - already doable and filterable, implemented in a lot of games
2) Voice chat filtering - use speech recognition to convert to text, filter the sound based on text rules. Example: I try to say an F-bomb...but it converts that to text, realizes it is naughty, and bleeps it out of the sound stream on the server side. Or, you could simply limit voice chat to friends/etc.
3) Images - You can't do this with a machine on the fly (at least not well), but why not use human eyes instead? Force all images/textures/whatever to be approved by human moderators before being allowed in (a task that can be delegated to many volunteers), and you're good to go.

As far as making something that is cross-game compatible, you could build a custom class library that game makers could use. Functions provided could include the functions mentioned above.

If you're set on making your own FPS, then check out one of the engines suggested and have at it...just be aware that when working within someone's engine, you can only do what that engine allows.

Back