Duncan the Black - Rescheduling to TBD

DZwart

Legacy of Elijah Officer
I've been waiting to defeat Duncan the Black (Final sub-dungeon for Slaver's Exile - planning on Normal Mode) for quite some time now and I'd like to get it done. I've been waiting because I knew several alliance members were wanting to do it too. So, I know it's short notice, but let's get it done!

I would like to pull a team together at 10pm eastern tonight. I'll be watching TV with my wife up to that point, so I probably won't be on until then.

I'd like to shoot for something like the build from PvX wiki.

I'll plan to run the Spoil Victor Necro featured at the end with Swap to handle Duncan's spirits.

If you plan to come along, please post!

Also remember that you need to have beaten Selve, Rand, Thom, and that other guy before you can take on Duncan.

Howdy Derk,
Can't make it tonight, but if you don't finish or are available Monday, I'll be available after bible study.

Howdy Derk,
Can't make it tonight, but if you don't finish or are available Monday, I'll be available after bible study.

Yeah, I realize that this was kinda short notice, but I figured I'd try to get the ball rolling. If it doesn't materialize tonight, I'll pick another day a few days out (past the weekend since I'll probably be vanquishing if I play this weekend) to give more notice.

I only got one reply saying that they wanted to do it last night, so I decided to postpone. I was thinking Monday night, but I usually watch Heroes with my wife at 9 and I know she likes that I spend that time with her. 10pm is a little late for a start time, though. I'll think about it a little and chat with her. I think I could probably get away with taping it this week. I'll post something later.

Count me in, unless it's too late in the evening...or if it's on a Friday or Saturday night I can stay up later. I'll bring a Fire nuker. If necessary I could possibly squeeze Frozen Soil onto my bar if no rangers show up.

Ok, since I haven't heard anything back from Derk yet (totally understand dude, family comes first!), since we have other interested (I know Diana would like to go), I'm going to just go ahead and plan on Duncan tonight after bible study. Study will be starting @8 eastern, so we should be wrapped up by 9EST.

I tried to get to Duncan again, but haven't been able to beat Forgewright yet. I got through the other bosses easy. I'll try again and hopefully beat it before the Duncan run.

Sounds good, but due to the events of 1am - 5am this morning (sick child), I was considering putting it off a few more days. If I'm alert enough to not risk using my keyboard as a pillow, I'll be there, just be ready to yell if my character starts standing still for an extended period of time.

You'll probably hear a lot of yelling if you fall asleep and we see your character to go forward into some crazy massive mob... :p

Hehe well we ended up not doing it Monday after all, so hopefully we'll all be able to figure out a good time. Pain inverter and breath of the great dwarf help on forgewrights level. :)

Yeah, I ran a water build and made it all the way to forgewight before becoming completely unable to defeat him, despite the best efforts of pain inverter. I think I'm gonna need a Mes along with backfire and interrupts.

Might try again tonight if I can get my homework done at a decent time.

Well, he doesn't move around too much either, so a BHA ranger is always an option. If we don't have another ranger and we play on a Monday, I will probably bring BHA/apply poison/frozen soil for Duncan's level.

Should add...if you don't have any rangers with you and don't have a good hero setup, Zho (interrupt hench) does a pretty good job of dumping daze on casters. On your mes...power block helps. :)

Okay, I helped Wizard from LION defeat Forgewight (wasn't easy or pretty) so he is able to come to Duncan as well. He's also fire nuker so should do good with Raven.

We doing this after Bible Study tonight? :)

Sweet victory!

Last night, Wizard, Prince Cor, Kyrel, and I beat Duncan pretty soundly. Huzzah! I'd definitely be up for it again sometime soon, though. We did not employ the typical die/signet of sorrow strategy. Here's what we used:

Frozen Soil (Obviously)
Swap (Obviously)
Broad Head Arrow - It astounds me that a wiki talk page on a high-level caster boss does not mention daze. We shut him completely with BHA with a silencing bowstring and just wailed on him; the only damage we took was from his defense. These 3 skills can easily fit onto the same bar, and BHA made the fight pretty easy.

Some other suggestions:
I am not sure if Spoil Victor triggers when the target is interrupted. If it does not...this is pretty wasteful to bring.

One thing I would definitely bring next time (didn't have it this time) would be Order of the Vampire. If you have a good amount of physicals in the party, this will trigger a ton of health loss and greatly mitigate the damage taken from Duncan's Defense. I like to run OotV on my MM sometimes, along with dark bond/infuse/few summons/etc (12death +4/10blood +1/8soulreaping +1). Under OotV, your casters could just wand Dunc to help interrupt and still do some damage.

Another thing that would've been nice to have is Spiteful Spirit, because I believe this triggers on the cast (whether they are interrupted or not), and would help a lot through the dwarf mobs.

Good to hear you guys beat him. Amazingly enough I had a good pug group a few weeks ago and beat him (must have been my 6th try), so now Im going back through the other bosses again so I can get some more armor remnants.

Let me know if anyone wants to do this again. Though I am looking for HM this time. ^_^

Last edited:
Back