Dungeons & Dragons™ Online: Stormreach

Avengar

I was going to post this in the DAoC forum but figured more people would see it here that play MMO's.

I have been watching this for a while and was wondering if anyone else was considering moving to DDO? Haven't heard of it? Go to www.ddo.com and read up on it. It looks as though its going to be a strong game.

I have been getting tired of the lack of people playing on DAoC, and do not want to return to WoW for a number of reasons.

I am considering buying the preorder package which includes a 10+ day pass to the ongoing beta. Anyone else want to join in with me in the beta? The preorder package is $10 avail a Best Buy, EbGames, GameStop, and Fry's.

I have a personal dislike of DDO after seeing (for the board game... thing) 3-4 thick, hardback manuals.

:eek:

I can't imagine what the game is like

Well the beta is open if I'm not mistaken, but I usually am. :p Anyway I'm fine going off Tycho's impressions for now since his sentiments usually tend to be in line enough with mine. For those of you not familiar with those go here: http://www.penny-arcade.com/2006/01/13#1137165600

To summarize there's some potential cool stuff that takes advantage of what D&D does well and actioning up the otherwise pretty point, click, wait, rinse, repeat the genre's accustomed too.

Seems to be a lot that could go either way in it's execution and whether it works and a lot that's not nearly as polished as WoW. I suppose that applies to pretty much everything since nothing's measured up to it in that category yet.

ChickenSoup said:
I have a personal dislike of DDO after seeing (for the board game... thing) 3-4 thick, hardback manuals.

I can't imagine what the game is like

That statement makes me doubt your nerdly credentials my friend. ;)

Even I'M not THAT nerdy... *sob*

lol j/k, but I'm not that nerdy... plus, in the words of I think it was Moo from CCGR:

"DDO is only a way for nerds to interact with other nerds without leaving their mom's basement"

Yessssss.

I might try it out if it ends up being cool, but if I'm going to play D&D, pen-and-paper is still my favorite way to go. By leaving more to the imagination, it's almost more fun-- sort of like how books are always better than movies.

Besides the first NWN was half way to this by the time the community got their hands on it. If NWN 2 follows through I think there's a good chance DDO will be virtually obsolete to those who are actual D&D players which I see as their only real subscribrs. If you're a teenager, nerd or not, and you're in Best Buy looking at WoW or Auto Assault or just about anything else compared to DDO what are you going to pick? Sure you're buying a nerdy game regardless but the other stuff can be passed off as cool. DDO, well it's D&D any way you slice it and everyone knows that's for nerds like us.

Actually Bledie and I have been playing a lot of daoc this past week. We are on Gareth/Hib as Jasmyna and Turur.

I'm gonna load up the beta tonight. I've been hearing the game really caters to group play (which makes sense) but that means having a regular group would be very beneficial. Any other CGA members planning on playing this that would be interested in a regular tabletop style gaming group?

Ok here my rant,

The movie was so horrible; it almost did more to stereo-type role-players than any interview in the 80's. Plus I heard that once you leave a town its all instances, there is no individual play or experience, its all group and quest formatted.

Nah- Papatoad and I will stay in the wilds WOW, where I can do a little hiking in Strangle Horn vale, kill some horde and recite poetry to Dawife in the Bad Lands............ Tackle Klangdon off the Thousand Needles Great lift, Play goblin-rules tackle paw ball with Goblit and Avesther. Lurk in the shadows with Sass and Bannard.

Enjoy the spring festival with guilds. D& D could have been so cool, My buddies and I crashed many a weekend adventuring, kill mobs level, keeping the Pepsi company in business. Good times Good Times, But no the new movie or the game grabs my interest, another flop like Star wars galaxies!

I was sad, then I played wow and thought this is nice!

From what I read the game is severely focused on group questing. But that's what D&D is, and to have it any other way wouldn't be true to the pen and paper game. D&D is more about multiplayer than any other of these MMOs could ever be. I can see how that would turn people off, though.

I played in the Beta and I have to say, its a well designed game. it has its flaws (as they all do) but its -Well designed-. I've played the PnP version since '79. and all the computer veriations throughout (pools of radiance anyone?).
I've also been a game designer at several houses (GTI, Monolith, are the biggies :) ) and played everthing that has come down the pike.

DDO is different. I think it will spawn off the next gen of MMOs like EQ did. People claimed EQ would die within a year of its start. They were wrong, it was a trend setter. DDO has that ability as well.
there will be a LOT of people playing it for a long time to come. Do not be surprised if a PvP server happens as well.
For now thats its only design downfall for me.

Look on Khyber for my toon 'Jara Frost',
I'll be remaking the guild there. 'Intelligent Design'

Back