EMO why do they... and look like....

TheJfreak

Ok you have to understand my prospective of this.. I havnt been to a school in the states since second half of 4th grade then i come here for 8th grade and i see all these people and im told there EMO I was like ok... At least over here on East Coast they like always wear black there hair is whack and they never smile... I wonder who would do this to themselves Then i was talking to this Girl and she considers herself EMO and saying she's one of them but she doesnt look like it yet... She said she cuts herself... I seems so... ummm unintelleigent....

Please help me figure this out....

I feel so old I had to google EMO.
:(
Just be yourself J.
But I was just thinking how EMO's would look like when they're retired. Will they dress the same.

Please help me figure this post out. From what I can tell you want to understand "emo people"?

Well, you can't understand them. There is no such thing as "emo people."

Insecure people, especially in junior high, search for a definition of themselves and try to fit themselves into that box because they feel like if they were honest about themselves to other people, they would be rejected. (Now, obviously, this isn't a conscious choice, it's a subconscious one.) "Emo" is one of those boxes. By their definition, an "emo person" must look, act, and believe a certain way, listen to a certain kind of music, and be around the right people.

There are other stereotypes also. You can probably think of some.

The assignment of "roles" is completely arbitrary, and stems from a growing collective insecurity. In junior high, people are either afraid to be who they really are, or maybe haven't decided who they are yet. None of these definitions or stereotypes truly exist except in the minds of people who look for such things.

My advice to you, if you are trying to find a way to fit in, is this:

Don't limit yourself to one stereotype or another. Be who God wants you to be, and who you want to be.

Be honest with yourself-- pick the music you listen to on the basis of whether or not you enjoy it, not on the basis of what other people think you should be listening to.

Don't dress a certain way because you feel like you have to, or because you want to promote a certain image of yourself, but dress however you want.

And don't let anybody bother you on account of your Christianity. That's not up for them to decide.

Basically, if there's something you have an interest in, pursue it. Don't try to fit in, because it will only bring anguish. I've been there.

You WERE wanting advice, right? I couldn't really tell...

And about that girl that cuts herself: if you think she was serious, tell somebody right away, because she needs help. People have died from hurting themselves.

Last edited:
To be honest with you I was in to that stuff. Now I guess I've changed, I'm not really in to the goth thing anymore, don't get me wrong it was great in the 80s but now since the ''nu''metal started popping up, noone's in to Gary Newman, Ozzy Osbourne, Iggy Pop, The Cure, those sorts anymore. It's quite saddening.

Or maybe people feel secure in having a title? So what? Let 'em.

To answer your question without telling you what you should and shouldn't do, emo is just short for "emotional." There is a genre now of alternative rock that is called emo and consists mostly of very emotional and heartfelt lyrics. But not all "emo" people wear black and cut themselves.

I do agree that cutting is not only wrong but very dangerous.

I figured black-clothes-wearing-emotionless-don't-smile type of people were GOTH! :eek:

Well, both types of people are weird and shall never find a job besides one that involves the words "Do you want fries with that?" in it. :p

Unless they find a way to get rid of those piercings and tatoos, stop dying their stinkin' hair black, and FOR GOODNESS SAKE STOP POKING MY ARM!!! *slaps Mr Slice's hand* Sorry, I just can't STAND that. *shudders* um... where was I... Oh yeah, stop dying their stinkin' hair black and HE'S DOING IT AGAIN!!!! *slap*
Forget it, Mr Slice is being WEIRD again! :mad:

actually goths are very emotional and useally nice people, just want attention

ChickenSoup, I'm pretty sure that God told us to love and accept everyone, not just people that dress the same way we do.

Emo stands for Emotional. The whole trend started when Punk bands, like Thursday, started playing "sad" Punk music. People called it Emo and the people who listened to that kind of stuff were very similar to each other. This made it easy for the other kids to start tagging all of them as Emo. The Emo stereotype would probably be best described as, "We're the generation raised by TV sets, because our parents have never loved us and no one even cares".

Goth, well the word was defined back in the times when the Germanic Visigoth overthrew the Roman Empire. Goth was used to describe a uncivilized barbarian. Afterwards, it was used to describe a new genre of architecture, art, literature, and theatre as eerie and gloomy. Punk Rock, I think around the 70s, started to make a type of music that was eerie and gloomy that some people called Goth. The fad didn't last long, but it started a subculture, Goth, that has stuck around since then. However, it wasn't till the early 80s, in a British nightclub, that the whole "Goth Movement" started to really get underway. The Goth stereotype would probably be best described as, "I want to be left alone, but I want to be seen and I want to see the shock on other peoples' faces".

Historically, that is what Emo and Goth are; however, kraniac really hit the nail on the head. Kids just want to feel like they belong somewhere, when they see that nothing else accepts them.

~Rulu~

Back