Ettin Farming

kalannar

I am trying to see if I can Farm Ettins outside of LA yet with my character. I am level 16 EL/R I have not finished the game yet and do not have all of the higher skills yet. I have everything upto LA. Any words of advice for doing farming runs there solo? Me and my Henchies got creamed by all the Tengu just north of the Res Shrine. I tried not to aggro too many of them but it seemed like the entire area aggroed and attacked us.

Thanks,
Mike

I am trying to see if I can Farm Ettins outside of LA yet with my character. I am level 16 EL/R I have not finished the game yet and do not have all of the higher skills yet. I have everything upto LA. Any words of advice for doing farming runs there solo?

Wait till you're level 20. Specialize in Earth Magic and Energy Storage and use an obsidian flesh Elementalist build.

In all honesty, Ettins haven't dropped anything good for months, and their drop rate is gonna be even worse now that loot scales to party size. Back in the day I did this run with my warrior all the time. It made me a lot of money but it's now one of the worst farming spots in Tyria imo.

I've never done Ettin farming with an ele, but the Earth magic build makes sense, I have soloed trolls neer Droks and Hydras in the desert with an ele and that's what I do.

I don't think the loot scaling applies to rare (gold) or unique (green) items, so it's possible that the ettins may still be dropping runes. I haven't tried in ages.

As for getting past the tengu, I don't think you need to go that way. I would usually head straight north from LA over the bridge by a couple huts and take a winding path. I usually had to run by or fight several fire imps and skale along the way, but rarely a tengu.

heres my

Ele/War Running build

12+3+1 water magic
4+1 energy storage
12 tactics

Rush
sprint
armor of mist
mist form
TO THE LIMIT!
defensive stance
Gladiator's Defense
Healing Signet

Pretty much u combo armor of mist with mist form, or armor of mist with gladiators defense, stop and heal when neccessary. Rush and sprint whenever u have to wait on recharge of armour of mist. when armor of mist is done, and u cast sprint, armour of mist is recharged. use TO THE LIMIT around enemys to do rush in a bad time. i have run this build from TOA to sactum cay and throughout the desert.

then heres my solo ettin farming

Template code:

OgNCoMzx2cVpAZKlnI1H

i use it outside beetletun, if u msg me i can show u how to use it

I don't think the loot scaling applies to rare (gold) or unique (green) items, so it's possible that the ettins may still be dropping runes. I haven't tried in ages.

That is correct, it also does not apply to purples. However the point I was trying to make is that the Ettins haven't had a decent drop rate on runed armors in some time.

Well, I didin't get much from Ettins last night. But that could be from the fact that I was using henchies too. Did get a better fire wand to go with my Flame artifact that I have. I also got Meteor Shower from the skills trainer in the encampment. Now I just need to figure out how to use some of my skills together better.

just find any one of us and we can tell you which skills go with others. since your at a low level you may not have the best skills to go with each other but we could at least tell you which ones would work best for different situations.

and their drop rate is gonna be even worse now that loot scales to party size.

WAIT.... what? the loot is all scale to your party now? that makes SOOO much more sense.... hmmm... how does that system work? or where do they explain it? it is simply, with a larger party, you have larger chance (or more rapid) drops?

WAIT.... what? the loot is all scale to your party now? that makes SOOO much more sense.... hmmm... how does that system work? or where do they explain it? it is simply, with a larger party, you have larger chance (or more rapid) drops?

Party size only factors in per area, aka it scale according to the maximum number of players available to a party in any given area. The idea is that if you solo you'll only get as much loot as you would if you were with a group of the maximum size for that area. For instance if you are in the ring of fire island chain and are somehow soloing mobs outside of ember light camp. You will only receive 1/8 of the possible loot that would drop as the max party size for that area is 8 people. If you are in an area like the Maguuma Jungle and you are soloing... I dunno, centaur for some reason, you will only get 1/6 of the possible loot that would drop for a normal party of 6 in that area. So basically you're getting the same amount of loot in solo play as you would in a party. Golds, Purples, Greens, and rare materials(Like Ectos) are of course excluded form this scaling as is all of pre-searing Ascalon. This was all introduced in the Hard Mode update as a new way to combat gold farmers and bots.

Anet is trying to make people stop solo farming and get in a big group cause its more fun playing with friends.

They're trying to promote group play as well as put a stop to the mass gold farming groups that sell the gold to players. They don't dislike farmers, they dislike the bots and groups selling for real world money.

Back