f.lux

Tek7

CGA President, Tribe of Judah Founder & President
Staff member
Incoming lazy copypasta:
Ever notice how people texting at night have that eerie blue glow?

Or wake up ready to write down the Next Great Idea, and get blinded by your computer screen?

During the day, computer screens look good—they're designed to look like the sun. But, at 9PM, 10PM, or 3AM, you probably shouldn't be looking at the sun.

f.lux fixes this: it makes the color of your computer's display adapt to the time of day, warm at night and like sunlight during the day.

It's even possible that you're staying up too late because of your computer. You could use f.lux because it makes you sleep better, or you could just use it just because it makes your computer look better.
Source: f.lux

I discovered f.lux first on the Cydia app store on my jailbroken work phone and liked it enough to try it on my PC. I'm liking it so far. Much easier on my eyes at night.

Last edited:
OK wow! The past month, or many months actually, I have had to pull myself away from the computer at midnight in order to get enough sleep. I have had this installed for 2 days and now twice in a row I was too tired at 11pm to stay up, and left the PC.

Coincidence?

OK wow! The past month, or many months actually, I have had to pull myself away from the computer at midnight in order to get enough sleep. I have had this installed for 2 days and now twice in a row I was too tired at 11pm to stay up, and left the PC.

Coincidence?

In theory, exposure to bright blue light, such as sunlight or normal monitor light, promotes wakefulness. This can potentially interfere with your sleep, and conversely it might be that using f.lux means your naturally encroaching tiredness is no longer warded off by your monitor's glow.

I've been using the program for a while now; it's hard to imagine going back.

Back