Favorite Profession? :)

Josh T.

So I just had to ask this (really, I need some data on this), but what is everyone's favorite profession? :cool:

Tough choice!
My favorite tends to change sporadically, but I generally prefer the ranger with the monk and elementalist are tied for a close second.
I can, however, tell you the remaining professions in order of liking:
Mesmer tied with Necromancer, Assassin, Dervish, Ritualist, Paragon, and Warrior.

I guess what I tend to favor are the versatile classes (rangers can do a huge variety of things very well, and tend to have well-balanced builds that allow a combination of survival and deadliness), great wealths of energy (I tend to be a skill user more than an attacker, and i think that warriors are WAY overrated while elementalists are excellent), and defense (monks obviously are almost entirely defensive... and I pretty much never play a smite build).

Right now my favorite is my Elementalist - before that it was my smiting Monk - before that it was my hammering Warrior. My favorite is the one I am playing right now.

Monk. Plain and simple.

I can't play anything else for very long. Every now and again I want to try something new in PvP, but most often then not I'm a monk, and I love it.

I have issues sticking with builds I've used before for too long, regardless of professions... That's probably why I change professions at all; I run out of ideas with one and think of something for another instead, so I try to make sense of my idea with the other until I get it right or get frustrated enough to use a build I've used before but not lately.

My first profession in Guild Wars was mesmer, and it is still my favorite. I was initially drawn to it by the aesthetics of the female mesmer and my best friend's description of it as a mental-powered character class.

But mesmers are very hard to play,* and I was crazy to start with one. (Of course, I didn't know any better, and neither did my friend, since she had only owned the game for two days at the time!)

It's rather versatile, but it's especially good against any caster profession. They can do shutdown, e denial, and interrupt especially well, and can do conditions, too.

I find that mesmers are heavily under-appreciated. PvP players, especially those who do a lot of Heroes Ascent, tend to have a better understanding of what they can do. When I see someone in local chat saying, "Mesmers are for noobs," or the like, I know they have no clue what they're talking about. :) And when a team in HA tries to take me out immediately when I play a mesmer, I know they do, and we're in for a tough fight!

*Note that I make no claims as to my actual skill…

Usually in RPG games as a whole I like to play warrior characters. But when I first played GW I made and Elementalist. I haven't played him in a while, but he's still my favorite! There's nothing like calling down fire from heaven to smite your enemies.

That is what I enjoy - seeing a horizon of negative yellow numbers climbing off the burning bodies of the enemy - that is part of why I go out with my Elementalist so often. I loved my hammer Warrior with his big hits and stamina - but there is nothing like the smell of burning flesh in the morning.

I have to agree with Maid Mirawyn about the Mesmer. I grab all the Mesmer henchies that are available when I go out on my own. There is a reason Guild Wiki says take out the Mesmers quickly. I hate being shut down - or left to my basic shift attack.

Elementalist by far. It seems in every MMO I've played, I play the glass cannons.

Runner up would be the monk, mostly because it is easiest to get into a group going wherever... :p

My fav is Ele for the same reasons Abba San gives. I love the pretty yellow numbers :)

I live out other professions through my Heroes. Gwen is generally a constant companion. I found a cool build on guru that I use on my Gwen.
GwenSkills.jpg

Template code: OQNEAnUz678AQ+mEUi1XudSEAA
Smiting Prayers 11
FC 7+1
Dom 5+1
Inspiration 11+1+1

I love Mesmer too...Mesmers do take a lot of skill to run, and I also like running eles...but then again Assassins and Rangers are pretty fun too

Warrior. Magnus Kingmaker was the second character I created ever and I have kept him for almost 3 years. :) I wish I still had the original elementalist I creted, but alas it was lost to the passage of time/lack of forsight and no knowledge of how to play.

Followed by Monk, Paragon, ranger...

I need to create a mesmer one of these days. Have not had a chance though, I would rather use my characters that are half way through beating every campaign than start over right now.

Back