Firefox 3 is out

I've been using it since the day after release (I was at work, otherwise I'd have downloaded it that day).

My overall impression is.... Meh, it's okay.

It's basically an IE clone without the memory issues, hacking concerns, etc.

I strongly dislike the new address bar (the fact that it guesses what I want in my address bar, instead of the places I actually *TYPE* in). Sure, I hit the "New Posts" page here on CGA quite often, but it also keeps the main page in my history, taking up 2 spots instead of 1 - subsequently, dropping some of my other "often viewed, but not visited everyday" pages out of the list - which happens to be fixed at 12 entries. tough poo if you have 13 pages you visit daily.

Bookmark handling is quirky, at best. When I want to add a new bookmark, sometimes it shows me all my bookmark folders...and sometimes I just get a choice of between the bookmarks toolbar and unsorted bookmarks. I haven't changed any settings, yet there is no rhyme or reason to it.

The biggest thing I like is that I can have about 25 tabs open and still don't lag out the way I did before. Memory leaks are mostly closed up, too. Huge props to the Mozilla for those issues.

Like Brelan said, get AdBlockPlus. It's a must. Other addons are nice, but this one is just superb. I use EasyList USA as my data source, and rarely have any problems.

Oh, make sure you bookmark everything in your addressbar that you want to keep. It doesn't port over very well.

I had to search through my history to create bookmarks...because it initially put pages from my bookmarks in my addressbar history. It took me a while to rebuild the list of pages that I visit regularly.

There is certainly a way to make sure Firefox DOESN'T keep a history :

Go to Tools; Options - then click clear private data on close.

In case you want the other way, you can also set up how many days you want a history to be kept in this tab.

you can delete entries on the fly by hovering them in the drop down and mashing the delete key. But it still will cycle thru and put your bookmarks in there the next time you drop down. ugh.

Interesting thing, it keeps track of your hits to any given webpage and moves them up and down (or on & off) the list.

Back