friar spec...ulation

janc

I've been fiddling with a friar spec today, and this is what I came up with:

Staff: 40
Parry: 1
Rejuv: 25
Enhance: 46

Thoughts? I may head for this spec, then if I don't like it, I'll use my respec at 40 to lower staff and increase enhance.

My first thought is more enhance more rejuv less staff. You are not a tank. You will be needed for back up healing.

A good place to check for the best of class specs is DAoC Catacombs. The Friar Forums are here:

http://daoc.catacombs.com/forum.cfm?forum=4

I've gone through some of them some way and here are some popular choices:

41 staff 19 parry 9 rejuv 47 ench (not yet 50)
39 Staff 49 Enhanc 15 Rejuv and 13 parry (if u wanna go full battle friar tone rej down to 7 and beef parry to 19.)
My favorite Friar spec is...

Parry: 2 (Dodge is free)
Staff: 39 (Like the lvl 39 style)
Enhance: 38 (Best bang for the buck)
Rejuv: 37 (good enough to actually heal) (this is not a Battle Friar spec, it should be decent in RvR)

39 staff 49 enhance 18 rejuve i think 9 parry (in fact i can solo hulks on ocation nightmares almost always and anything red is a joke)

1 parry, +11, 34 staff, +11, 45 enhancement, 34 heal (That is a very viable healing friar spec template. Going high in enhancements gives him the high tier absorb, AF, and dex/quick buffs. He has all the second tier resists. With the removal of the hard cap on stats 45 enh is an alright stopping point. -- If you are going for Ultility I would drop heal a bit and bring Enhancements to 49 for the last 2 Group Resist buffs (Matter and Cold). This helps a TON in RvR.)

Just a few for you to see here. You can easily go diving in to the forums there or post your friar questions there. People are generally friendly and have a LOT of great advice.

My two cents from a friar since Beta-Testing
smile.gif

Basically as a friar, there are a few minimums you want to hit. As long as you hit those, you can't really go wrong with a spec, you can just tailor it as you like.

Minimums:

Staff - 29 - Why? Friar's Boon. You want this as soon as possible generally. Even if you're a support friar. (I'd say shoot to have this by level 30 or 31 if possible) More staff is nice but you don't NEED it.

Enhancements - 45 - Our Enhance line makes or breaks us. Friars are good because of this line. I was 38 enhance for a while and it just isn't enough. 45 is the minimum.

Rejuv - 7 or 15 - 7 for Cure poison and Disease, 15 for raise dead. You don't NEED more than this, but IMHO it's very valuable.

Parry - 1 - Basically you don't put anything into parry until the rest of your spec is done. It's not worth the sacrifices you have to make elsewhere.

So with that basic frame, it leaves quite a bit of flexibility. If you want to be more combat oriented, increase staff to 34, 39 or 44 (always shoot for style stopping points). If you want to be more balanced, then a minimum of 25 rejuv would be good to make you at least a somewhat effective healer. If you want to be support oriented, then 33 rejuv and 48 or 49 enhanced would be good.

Always keep in mind that if you have the minimums that I listed, you're already a decent friar, so however you go from there only refines your abilities. Even if you choose to spec for a support friar, that doesn't mean you can't fight with the best of them. In my opinion again, 25 rejuv is a must for a friar as well though as that makes you much more valuable to a group (~290 pt heal consistently).

My spec (and reasoning behind it):
29 Staff - Friar's Boon
49 Enhance - All of the group resist buffs
33 Rejuv - level 33 spec heal, heals for 383 every time. I'm a good healer. I can't work miracles like a cleric, but I can be the only healer in any PvE group, and I can do a fair job in RvR (ask Cammandus)
3 Parry - leftover points.

With my spec, I bring everything a friar can offer to a group to the table at the sacrifice of some combat ability. Combat wise though... I still do well, I can solo low reds in PvE fairly easily, I do well in RvR (I still get my fair share of kill spam ^_^). I can beat Cammandus in duels ^_^ and most tanks. I'm RR4L3 now so my spec works, even if it's less common.

Hope that helps.

God bless.

Thanks for the input. I created the friar and finished the epics up to level 20, now it's time to hunt (he's level 21 now). So far, it seems like a very fun class.

Back