From right-handed mouse to left-handed trackball

Tek7

CGA President, Tribe of Judah Founder & President
Staff member
As stated in a previous post, I recently switching from using a mouse (more specifically, a Logitech MX518) with my right hand to using a trackball with my left hand to help combat symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome.

Well, tonight, I loaded up UT2004 to see how severely the switch impacted my game.

And the results were not pleasant.

I discovered that I play terribly with a trackball. Every time I wanted to turn around and blast an opponent in the face with a flak ball, I ended up running forward while staring at the ground. I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. I scored my only frag for the round against someone who was standing still.

Thinking Onslaught might be more kind than Deathmatch, I loaded up a game of Instant Action (no live multiplayer for this test) and discovered that I can't even drive a Goliath very well any more. Switching from using the WASD keys with my left hand to using the arrow keys with my right hand completely threw me off.

I would write more, but the wrist pain has increased from the time I started this post to now. Needless to say, this is an upsetting development and cause for fervent prayer that I'll be able to overcome whatever is causing this pain in my body--and soon.

I'm fine with getting slaughtered in CS 1.6, but if I can't hear that glorious "PANCAKE!" proclamation in UT2004 Onslaught, then perhaps it's time to uninstall all my FPS games, plug in the ol' Gravis Gamepad Pro, and go back to SNES ROMs.

I've been playin with a trackball so long that I can't game with a normal mouse at all. Way too much hand movement for me. But, I don't use it with my left hand, even though I'm left handed. You'll get the hang of it :) and then will wonder how you evern lived without a trackball.

Cory

I scored my only frag for the round against someone who was standing still.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAOKSORRYKTHNXBAI

that just struck me as funny. I'll pray for your carpal tunnels so you can pwn again.

Back