Game suggestions for P3 750 lappy

amusedtoe

Well, I'm stuck with a hand me down lappy for now, so I want some suggestions of some good games for it.  Basic specs are as follows:

P3 750, 384 RAM (Maxed out), no idea what kind of graphic chip though somthing piddly obviously.

So obviously not a whole lot of power here.  Wouldn't use it for gaming at all, but a bunch of coffee houses and such I spend several hours at a week offer free broadband WI-FI.  Obviously much better then the 28.8 dialup I have at home(can't wait till I transfer to Eastern Michigan and get free T1 *drools*).

So what quality games would everyone suggest?  Good multiplayer's the key quality, since I can't really do much multiplayer at home.  Don't have to list Half-Life/CS/etc., Starcraft, Warcraft, UT(hoping it'll play good), Civilization, Red Alert 2.  Of course quality single player suggestions are welcome too.

Also for anyone who's used them, are those smaller "laptop" mice worth it? Should I just spend the extra ten bucks on an MX500?

- Grab DOSBox to increase your number of options.

- Gotta pick up one of the old sleeper hits like SiN or Shogo M.A.D. You can usually find them for five or ten bucks at Wal-Mart when they sell the games.

- If you can find King's Quest 6, grab that and load it using DOSBox.

- Starcraft is still where it's at.
biggrin.gif
Grab the veteran campaigns for single-player gooeyness.

Worms and soldat are both 2d scrollers that run on about anything. Both have multiplayer or can be run standalone. Great ways to kill time alone or through the multiplayer capabilities.

Hey, don't be hatin' on that laptop, it's nearly as good as my desktop. It has more RAM than mine (a stanky 256 megs here), i'm running on an 800MhZ PIII, and a GeF2 MX =\.

Be thankful -_-.

Van

Well the GF2 puts it leauges beyond the lappy.
tounge.gif
Besides you still didn't recomend anything.
tounge.gif

Couldn't tell you the exact specs, like the vid card, since it's not physically in my hands yet and is on it's way to me. Would you think RoN would still run on it, even if the video cards like nothing?

DOSBox still doesn't let me run X-Com under 2K.
tounge.gif
Also as great as some older games are, they can be next to impossible to find even when they're as recent as 2-3 years old. Also for the record, while I acknoweledge SC's greatness and stuff, I've never really cared for it all that much. Just personal preference I suppose.

I'm so picky in my advice seeking.
biggrin.gif
wink.gif

Don't buy a mini-mouse, it's a waste. Get a logitech mouseman wheel for $15. It's a USB device, just plug it in, and (assuming you're running Windows XP) you'll have a working control device in about 3 seconds.

I would definitely get Unreal Gold, and to make things intersting the Serpentine 8 mod (I've had mny fun hour with that mod...don't forget to download some good maps too, like DMSniperCity).

Well, I was thinking MX510 since it's on sale and I'm crazy about my fancy meese. Plus it's all trippy shiny red!
biggrin.gif

tounge.gif

cool.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Gotta pick up one of the old sleeper hits like SiN or Shogo M.A.D
Oh yea now I dont feel so bad as I play shogo every once in awhile.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Would you think RoN would still run on it, even if the video cards like nothing?
Nope. If you have less a 16MB card I dont think you are going to make the cut. You might be able to swing deus ex or thief. I dont know what thief needs but it is older.

Kidan's right.  One of the BEST games ever.

Here are a few recommendations.  Some are older, but you can still find them around.  I'm partial to single-player games, but these do have multiplayer too.

No One Lives Forever - I'm currently playing this and it is excellent.  If you liked Half-Life you must play this.  It has the same immersive feeling as HL.  It's got GREAT gameplay.  It's a 60's spy spoof.  You play as a female spy from the UK.  It has got to be one of the funniest games.  The beginning had some bad language, but that has mostly died down.  There are also some sexual innuendos.

Freelancer - Microsoft space-sim from last year.  I happen to really like this game.  This game scales well and should probably be fine on your laptop.

Dungeon Siege - RPG but without all the fancy intricacies of some of the others.  It's essentially a straight hack n' slash.  It's quite a long game too.  They recently released the expansion (Legends of Aranna) which contains the full version of the game.

Victory at Hebron - Christian strategy game based on the Redemption card game.  Very well done game and rich with strategy.

Freelancer and Dugeon Siege may require 16 or 32 MB of video RAM, but I'm not sure. Did you ever find out what card you have?

I could be wrong, but I don't see any way that No One Lives Forever, Freelancer, or Dungeon Siege would run at any respectable speed on a P3-750. I had a P3-850 laptop, and I had to run first-generation Unreal games at 320x240 to get a decent framerate. It can depend greatly on the video card built in, I suppose, and the laptop I had didn't have a very good one, but such is my experience.

hey amustedtoe? you play red alert 2? SWEET!!! lets play sometime.. my name for westwood online is pilgrim03
biggrin.gif
i only have one person to play with, and thats my non-christian friend... im planning on making a red alert 2 chapter for fls, as I havent seen any christian clans which have one, and if theres enough people who are interested in one.. then i will
biggrin.gif
but anyway, lemme know if u wanna play sometime
biggrin.gif

Well, I know NOLF played fine on my old P3 700 with some piddly creative vid card, but it was still a "real" card.
tounge.gif
From the demo I doubt it would be able to handle Freelancer, DS maybe if it has a software mode. Would probably just go Diablo 2 though if I got a hack and slasher.

Downloaded the RoN demo, didn't realize it's lowest resolution was 1024x768.
tounge.gif
Still gonna give the demo a go on it when it gets here, which should be early next week. Anyone played MOO3? Worth the 10 bucks that EB's selling it for? Keep the advice comin'.
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Downloaded the RoN demo, didn't realize it's lowest resolution was 1024x768.
Ooops I dident either. However you can zoom in and out so I wonder if that effects it to any degree.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Anyone played MOO3?
What?
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]im planning on making a red alert 2 chapter for fls, as I havent seen any christian clans which have one, and if theres enough people who are interested in one.. then i will
If FLS wouldent mind me joining then I would be interested.

Well, then perhaps I'm wrong about Freelancer and Dungeon Siege. But I thought they may perhaps run ok with a decent video card. I would think NOLF would run just fine. It's somewhat similar, graphically, to HL and I was running that on a PII 300 with 8 MB ATI.

I have heard nothing but BAD reviews of MOO3. Long awaited and poorly executed game. I think I'd stay away from it and stick with MOO2.

If you like RTS (and good multi-player), definitely check out the Age of Empires stuff. For good RTS, I also recommend Total Annihilation. One of my all-time favorite games and still has a huge following of players. I really like how TA focuses mostly on the tactical/combat side of RTS and less on the R&D and resource gathering. All of these run VERY well on my PII 300. Another interesting RTS I like is Imperium Galactica II. It is the only RTS I know which has BOTH land and space combat. IG2 may have had some little hiccups once in awhile on the PII.

You got a prime starcrafting computer my friend, what more do you need? I would also download a snes emulater and some super nintendo roms. like Seceret of mana, and Super Metriod. I think I would take Seceret of Mana over Dungeon siege any day. Worms is a Good one, and my 2nd favorite war strategy game Master of Orion 2. Master of Orion 3 isn't near as good as the 2nd one. oh, and GTA 2 is a must.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (amusedtoe @ Mar. 11 2004,5:28)]Also for the record, while I acknoweledge SC's greatness and stuff, I've never really cared for it all that much.
tounge.gif

Well IGN reviewed it as a 9.2, and Gamespy gave it a 76%, which they classified as "Good". I've heard the patches have helped immensly also. For 10 bucks I might just take a chance with it, if I get a couple hours out of it I've spent worse on games.
Unfortunatly I missed TA when it came out, and haven't been able to find it anywhere. Was thinking about AoK, but I dislike the $30 price tag the "gold" version carries.
tounge.gif

Back