General Protoss strategies

Odale

So I like to play Protoss the most.

I have a few strategies I like to play... get the Dark Templars out fast to help cripple enemies (given they don't have too many detectors) and get VRs out fast because they are quite effective.

I just want to know what the general strats are for Protoss.

You shouldn't focus only on DT's, but they are a great harassing unit. You just have to use them to compliment your army - not as your primary strategy (especially mid or late game when detection is everywhere).

Void Rays are really solid. I also recommend a standard Zealot/Stalker/sentry build; with all the upgrades they're really powerful.

Elihu or ExoSlayer can probably give you some really specific strats. I'm not sure who else is Protoss (sorry if I'm forgetting anyone!! I probably am :( )

Lol that replay.

That only further reinforces how powerful marauders are. You basically won that entire match with them.

In 1v1 as Protoss I usually go for a Zealot rush after upgrading them with Charge. It's pretty hard to stop those Zealots with charge unless they have a good defense built.

Odale, I think I uploaded the wrong replay.

Here should be the right one.

Best strat I can think up at the moment would be the one that allows you to win.

So just win Odale, and you'll win.

from what I've played and seen, Protoss tend to go Stalkers and VRs in 1v1 games. It gets rather annoying to see the same things all. the. time. It's like there aren't any other units aside from the early/occasional zealots.

Had some terran guy chew me out for using DTs against him extremely effectively (albeit too late since I still wound up losing), and told me to find better strats (probably meaning some fotm wiki builds somewhere) than sneaking five or six of them into his soft spots...

Which is an issue for me since I love to goof around and find fun things to do, so I love it when people spring crazy stuff on me. Like the protoss player that built what had to have been his first pylon close to my base and then blocked me in and eventually killed me with just the cannons. IMO it was the best defeat of the night.

I am getting the early game strats down fairly well, what to do to fend off the typical waves of each race. My problem is mid-game... I always seem to go way under what my enemy does.

For example, I just played a terran, had my first few attacks by upgraded zealots killed by mass ball of marines, so I made a couple of collosus, and went in and killed them but couldn't push in to their base. I build a couple of void rays, carriers, and a mothership, and went in to kill his base, only to be decimated by a dozen Battle Cruisers with the cannon upgrade.

I often have games like this, I try to counter whatever they throw at me and then build a high army of my own, only to be killed by a dozen Thor's that show up out of nowhere. I try my best to scout early on, and I keep my scout there until they put up missile turrets and kill my scout, but I rarely see these big attacks coming, and even when I do I can't seem to build a large enough army to stop them.

I just had a 6 game losing streak so I'm pretty bummed right now about the whole game. :(

I think the key to success is in how aggressive you are. Work on attacking his expansions and try to make it impossible for him to afford battlecruisers.

...Like the protoss player that built what had to have been his first pylon close to my base and then blocked me in and eventually killed me with just the cannons. IMO it was the best defeat of the night.

Bahahahaha! I'm sorry you lost but that's hilarious!

I have a hard time imagining that working on a human opponent. So much is at stake when you do that...

yeah it was pretty funny, and now I know why people always build stuff at the base entrances. chalk up lesson learned. XD

After a bunch of playing in 1v1 I found my basic build through a lot of trial and error, and it is just a less efficient variant to the 4 gateway strategy.

Good to know there's a faster and better way of doing it. :D

So I have been trying to be a bit more aggressive early game, even if I only have 2 or 3 units, and it seems to be working. Also getting at least a weapon upgrade early on seems to help.

It is harder to attack that early but it teaches me to micro a little bit better.

Back