Genesis 11:1-9: The Tower of Babel

Krissa Lox

Genesis 11:1-9

And the whole earth was of one language, and of one speech. And it came to pass, as they journeyed from the east, that they found a plain in the land of Shinar; and they dwelt there.

And they said to one another, Go to, let us make brick, and burn them throughly. And they had brick for stone, and slime had they for morter.

And they said, Go to, let us build us a city and a tower, whose top may reach unto heaven; and let us make us a name, lest we be scattered abroad upon the face of the whole earth.

And the Lord came down to see the city and the tower, which the children of men builded. And the Lord said, Behold, the people is one, and they have all one language; and this they begin to do: and now nothing will be restrained from them, which they have imagined to do.

Go to, let us go down, and there confound their language, that they may not understand one another's speech.

So the Lord scattered them abroad from thence upon the face of all the earth: and they left off to build the city. Therefore is the name of it called Babel; because the Lord did there confound the language of all the earth: and from thence did the Lord scatter them abroad upon the face of all the earth.

In the course of human civilization, it is an entirely plausible scenario that times will come where men of good integrity and intent can end up discovering technologies that can be dangerously misused by others of lesser wisdom or integrity. In this passage, the Lord doesn't say the building of the tower was sinful or evil. He just indicates that the direction it was heading seemed dangerous enough to not let them continue going forward, so it's possible His action against it was one of protection more than of judgement.

In our modern times of rapidly advancing technologies coupled with hyper-facilitated means of communication, there might be boundaries He's not willing to give us the ability to cross yet - for example, things like controlling elements of nature or venturing too far into the heavens - that He might feel a need to take some extreme measures to curtail. Not as a punishment, but as a loving Father doesn't let His growing children go wandering off into areas more dangerous than their current capacity to handle.

From the child's perspective, it is easy to get upset and offended when given a "time out" or having their toys taken away, and want to argue about how it's not fair, from not yet having gained the maturity to correctly and comprehensively see the full consequences of their actions. But enforced discipline is a vital part of developing that maturity to lead the child into gaining better understanding and self-discipline to be able to handle greater responsibility and autonomy in the future.

And now looking at the news and seeing "ShutDownSTEM" now trending, I felt it necessary to come back and say I had not seen that particular line of social dialogue until now, so it played no part in my posting above.

My intent is not to advocate against technology, but to caution against immaturity that could require divine refereeing to manage.

Back