GFC Proverbs Challenge (November)

12 Hatred stirs up dissension,
but love covers over all wrongs.

This was very eye opening for somebody who has had such a short temper lately....

Proverbs 11:24-25 There is that scattereth, and yet increaseth; and there is that withholdeth more than is meet, but it tendeth to poverty. The liberal soul shall be made fat: and he that watereth shall be watered also himself.

This pair of verses was a very big factor in my decision to trust God and be saved. It makes no sense whatsoever in terms of worldly wisdom but when you put it into practice it turns out to be so. For me to see it in action was proof enough that there had to be a God in heaven who cared enough to direct such things.

Proverbs 11:17 A kind man benefits himself, but a cruel man brings disaster on himself.

One thing to keep in mind when considering the cruel man, the disaster may not come immediately, but it always comes

The fruit of the righteous is a tree of life, and he who wins souls is wise. Proverbs 11:30 (NIV)

The seeds of good deeds become a tree of life; a wise person wins friends. Proverbs 11:30 (NLT)

A good person gives life to others; the wise person teaches others how to live. Proverbs 11:30 (NCV)

Same verse - various understandings - I love each of them I particularly like the New Century Version.

15 The way of a fool seems right to him,
but a wise man listens to advice.

I guess kind of like constantly trying to work out our problems ourself instead of seeking Him.

So many verses today.

Any who love knowledge want to be told when they are wrong. It is stupid to hate being corrected. Proverbs 12:1 (TEV)

In our house 'stupid' was the 'S' word - and there it is in scripture - almost every translation. Closely related is verse 15,

Stupid people always think they are right. Wise people listen to advice. Proverbs 12:15 (TEV)

Sorry for my late posting. The puppies are eating up a lot of time.

Proverbs 11:1 said:
1. The LORD abhors dishonest scales, but accurate weights are his delight.

Honesty is always the best policy, no matter what.

Proverbs 12:1 said:
1. Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, but he who hates correction is stupid.

One of the best verses ever. Don't love the knoledge from the Bible? Your stupid! Hard to get any clearer than that!

He who walks with the wise grows wise, but a companion of fools suffers harm. Proverbs 13:20 (NIV)

Careful who your friends are!

Proverbs 13:7 said:
7. One man pretends to be rich, yet has nothing; another pretends to be poor, yet has great wealth.

I was reading through this and I thought to myself, "what if this also deals with how we live our lives?" If we live like we are poor, we can make sure we live within our means and insure that we leave an inheritance for our children (As the Bible says we should)

I was reading through this and I thought to myself, "what if this also deals with how we live our lives?" If we live like we are poor, we can make sure we live within our means and insure that we leave an inheritance for our children (As the Bible says we should)

I'm not poor -- I'm just playing with an economy set to Hard Mode. :)

Proverbs 13:10 Only by pride cometh contention: but with the well advised is wisdom.

Note a certain implication of this verse here -- it doesn't just say pride is a cause of contention, it says only by pride comes contention. If you can withdraw your pride from an argument, the argument will cease.

Agreed. I am going to have to remember that one RT

Proverbs 13:5 The righteous hate lying, but the wicked act disgustingly and disgracefully.

I think I need to have my oldest memorize this chapter.

I know that verse 12 is the most famous from this chapter - maybe from all of Proverbs - but verse 7 jumped out at me:

Stay away from fools, because they can't teach you anything. Proverbs 14:7 (NCV)

People often think they are being very biblical when they say you shouldn't make judgments about people. That is not what the Bible says. We shouldn't judge, as in condemnation - but we are told to make judgments about who is a fool and who is an angry, arrogant, wicked person - and other judgments - in this chapter alone. The Bible says stay away from fools and don't be one yourself.

Proverbs 14:1 Every wise woman builds her house, but a foolish one tears it down with her own hands.

The house is not just the four walls, but what is contained therein, especially relationships

Proverbs 15: 8 The LORD detests the sacrifice of the wicked, but the prayer of the upright pleases him.

I think I am doing something right in God's eyes because he continually answers my prayers. Today in church, one of the supporting passages for the sermon answered a prayer that I prayed late this week. I pray I can continue to please Him and do right in His eyes.

A cheerful look brings joy to the heart, and good news gives health to the bones. Proverbs 15:30 (NIV)

This could be taken two ways: one way - sharing a cheerful look brings joy to the heart of others; same with good news, it gives health to others. Another way - being cheerful and sharing good news benefits you! I love the way The Message puts it -

A twinkle in the eye means joy in the heart, and good news makes you feel fit as a fiddle. Proverbs 15:30 (MSG)

Back