GFC Proverbs Chapter a day Challenge (December)

The memory of the righteous will be a blessing, but the name of the wicked will rot. Proverbs 10:7 (NIV)

A good and honest life is a blessed memorial; a wicked life leaves a rotten stench. Proverbs 10:7 (MSG)

How will people remember you?

Proverbs 10:5 NIV said:
5. He who gathers crops in summer is a wise son, but he who sleeps during harvest is a disgraceful son

Hmmm, So if I do what is expected from me, I'll be the good son... If I waste time and be lazy I'm a bad son and will probably starve... Maybe doing what I know is right is the answer here.

Also, just for giggles. here is the same verse as told by The Message

Proverbs 10:5 The message said:
5. Make hay while the sun shines - that's smart; go fishing during harvest - that's stupid.

Proverbs 11:9 An hypocrite with his mouth destroyeth his neighbour: but through knowledge shall the just be delivered.

Hypocrisy destroys other people, not just yourself. Even with the best of intentions you can break someone with the burdens you place on them if you don't try to understand what carrying that burden is like before preaching it.

When you're kind to others, you help yourself; when you're cruel to others, you hurt yourself. Proverbs 11:17 (MSG)

That's why kindness is one of the fruits of the spirit.

Proverbs 11:1 NIV said:
1. The LORD abhors dishonest scales, but accurate weights are his delight.

This brings to mind that JIF commercial where the older brother got to cut the bread, and he cut it in one huge slice with one little slice. Then the younger brother got to pick which side he wanted and of course he picked the big one.

How often do we find ourselves in that case? Being dishonest in what we know should be just and fair, simply because we are looking out for ourselves?

Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, but he who hates correction is stupid. Proverbs 12:1 (NIV)

When our boys were young 'stupid' was the 'S' word at our house. Who knew it was biblical.

Proverbs 12:18 There is that speaketh like the piercings of a sword: but the tongue of the wise is health.

The old adage, "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words can never hurt me," is anything but true. Words are what formed the very foundation of the universe and they are powerful enough to pierce the very soul. One of the ways in which we must learn to guard our hearts is to learn how to properly deflect the hurtful words of the foolish while being able to still let in the nurturing words of the wise.

Proverbs 12:4 said:
4. A wife of noble character is her husband's crown, but a disgraceful wife is like decay in his bones.

Husbands, during this time of the year, there is always more stress on your wives, they handle the billion and one details. If you build them up, they will continue to have that noble character.

Wives, even though you are handling the billion things that come with this time of year, don't grow faint. Remember everything you do reflects on your husband and you are his crown and delight. :D

Those who control their tongue will have a long life; opening your mouth can ruin everything. Proverbs 13:3 (NLT)

I'll not say a word, lest I ruin it.

Proverbs 13:22 said:
22. A good man leaves an inheritance for his children's children, but a sinner's wealth is stored up for the righteous.

I read this verse and it got me thinking about how many people are living just for today and not planning for tomorrow. The Bible tells us to, we are supposed to be planning for at least two generations. Your grand kids should be given an inheritance from you. This is not somethign easy to do, I mean, how often do you actually hear about someone leaving their grand kids something, how about even leaving their kids something? Everyone has become so selfish of late, they live for today and let other's care for tomorrow.

As Christians we should be planning ahead. Yes we know Christ is going to come back, however until He does, we need to make sure we are prepared to live on Earth. :) So take care of your household folks.

Remember the old adage (Which I think Solomon would have approved of) "Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without!"

And if you don't think you can do it, you haven't seen this lady!

Proverbs 13:23 Much food is in the tillage of the poor: but there is that is destroyed for want of judgment.

Not all poverty is caused by not having enough. Many people have all they need and more, but a lot is lost through either misuse or injustice. Simply throwing material resources at such problems is never going to help unless spiritual, educational, and justice system needs are also met.

Proverbs 10:5 The son who gathers during summer is prudent;
the son who sleeps during harvest is disgraceful.

Proverbs 11: 16 A gracious woman gains honor,
but violent men gain [only] riches.

Proverbs 12:11 The one who works his land will have plenty of food, (M)
but whoever chases fantasies lacks sense.

Invest in hard work, it will bring rewards

Proverbs 14:20 The poor is hated even of his own neighbour: but the rich hath many friends.

How many friends can really be considered friends when much is based on external circumstances rather than the integrity of the soul?

Each heart knows its own bitterness, and no one else can share its joy. Proverbs 14:10 (NIV)

The Contemporary English Version puts it even more plainly:

No one else can really know how sad or happy you are. Proverbs 14:10 (CEV)

Most of the time that is so true.

An undisciplined, self-willed life is puny; an obedient, God-willed life is spacious. Proverbs 15:32 (MSG)

A puny life or a spacious life - determined by the will that drives it.

Proverbs 15:22 Without counsel purposes are disappointed: but in the multitude of counsellors they are established.

Sometimes we can be tempted to want to do things all on our own, getting annoyed by other people's input hindering and frustrating us, but then we find out that often we're not really as smart as we think we are and it's not a bad thing to be hindered from making unnecessary mistakes.

Proverbs 15: 27 said:
27. A greedy man brings trouble to his family, but he who hates bribes will live.

Money isn't everything. Working those extra long hours "for the good of the family" Will hurt more in the long run than not buying them a PS3 and instead spending more time with them.

Back