Giving away/Selling possessions

Pheonix28

Slave to Christ.
There are many debates on this subject. Is it for everyone, is it for some, is it for no-one? Is He speaking literally or figuratively when Jesus says to sell everything and give the money to the poor?

I think like in most cases, He is referring to the heart-attitude not the literal action.

I think you also have to keep the context in mind when examining the issue. A lot of people like to throw around examples like the "rich young ruler" or Ananias and Sapphira as examples that Christians should give away everything they have without paying attention to the context. In the former, the rich young ruler's heart was ruled by his money and possessions. He could not follow two masters and thus walked away from the Lord. In the latter, Ananias and Sapphira conspired to lie to the disciples about how much money they were giving to the Lord. Both examples have to do with the heart attitude or condition which was not oriented toward the Lord.

It depends on the situation based on other's need and your own heart (and ultimately the leading of the Holy Spirit):

1 John 3:17-18
But whoever has this world’s goods, and sees his brother in need, and shuts up his heart from him, how does the love of God abide in him?
18 My little children, let us not love in word or in tongue, but in deed and in truth.

Back