going wireless

Shyfroggy

a question - what is a good wireless router that has a good range? does anybody know the ranges of different routers?

www.cnet.com

You can just type in "routers" and it'll pull up a ton of them with customer reviews. The highest rankings are first. You can also click on the product and it'll provide you with specs and price.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833124190

That's what I use, and it works all through my house. I'm not sure of how much range you need, but from what I read before on wireless routers, the average range is ~150 indoors:

A general rule of thumb in home networking says that 802.11b and 802.11g WAPs and routers support a range of up to 150 feet (46 m) indoors and 300 feet (92 m) outdoors.
Another rule of thumb holds that the effective range of 802.11a is approximately one-third that of 802.11b/g.

Hope this helps.

Cory

we were looking at the one you recommended and compusa has a sale going on now:) so i think we are going to get that one!

thanks

the LINKSYS WRT54GL is what i have right now. if you are looking for range you might want to look in to 802.11n/pren routers

My wife and I use a Linksys WRT54GL with the DD-WRT custom firmware.

Make sure whatever router you select supports WPA encryption as WEP encryption is now little more than a speedbump to determined hackers. I use WPA and a 63-character randomly generated character as copied from this site. Granted, it's overkill, and it took me about seven minutes to type it into the Wii (which, fortunately, supports WPA encryption), but I can rest assured that my network is secure.

It may be difficult to find the WRT54GL in stores, so here's a link to purchase it from Newegg.

EDIT: Click here for a list of third-party router firmware packages.

linksys ftw, mine gets awesome range, my netgear is disappointing

Make sure whatever router you select supports WPA encryption as WEP encryption is now little more than a speedbump to determined hackers. I use WPA and a 63-character randomly generated character as copied from this site. Granted, it's overkill, and it took me about seven minutes to type it into the Wii (which, fortunately, supports WPA encryption), but I can rest assured that my network is secure.
I have a LinkSys and use the WPA encryption, but then I also deny/allow access through the router based upon MAC addresses.

It's a hassle setting up whenever a new laptop comes onto the network - but it's great for security.

I have a LinkSys and use the WPA encryption, but then I also deny/allow access through the router based upon MAC addresses.
I do the same.

What's cool is that you can look up the MAC address for a Wii and add it to the filter as well. Bonus points for Nintendo.

If you do decide to purchase a WRT54GL and install the DD-WRT firmware, be sure to change some settings before firing up your BitTorrent client. Otherwise you'll get some nasty connectivity issues with your router after your BT client has been running for a while.

Back