Graphics Card Shot :(

Engris

My graphics card decided to die today so I cant play WoW and my screen looks all funny...so i'll be gone 'till I get a new one. Gonna go lookin for one at Best Buy this week hopefully, but don't really know which one to get. Any suggestions? I'm looking for something under $100 that can still give me support for the higher graphic settings in WoW. My OS is Windows Vista Home Premium, and I'm pretty sure I have a PCI-E slot for the graphics card. Also wanting to get something better than my old Nvidia GeForce 8800GT.

My graphics card decided to die today so I cant play WoW and my screen looks all funny...so i'll be gone 'till I get a new one. Gonna go lookin for one at Best Buy this week hopefully, but don't really know which one to get. Any suggestions? I'm looking for something under $100 that can still give me support for the higher graphic settings in WoW. My OS is Windows Vista Home Premium, and I'm pretty sure I have a PCI-E slot for the graphics card. Also wanting to get something better than my old Nvidia GeForce 8800GT.

Id say your best bet is an ATI 5670 or an Nvidia GTX260... but depending on manufacturer and clock speed those can range from 80-120 in price.

Pro Tip: be patient and look for deals on Newegg.com every day, don't buy at best buy. Newegg has deals and mail in rebates on stuff all the time. You may get a 120-130 dollar card for only 100 or less after a rebate. Not guaranteed, but worth a try!

Last edited:
/agree with Tomato. It's SUPER tempting to rush out and Best Buy it because it's close and immediate, but if you buy NewEgg you'll likely get a way way way better card for the same dollar.

Found a few on NewEgg, but I have some questions. 1- This is a pretty trustable site right? Secondly, which manufacturers are the best quality? I saw some from HIS, Sapphire, Gigabyte, XFX, Powercolor, MSI, VisionTek and other stuff. Which ones should I avoid?

Also - I'm thinking of going with the ATI 5670, but about the power supply needed - it recommends 400 W+, so will I need to buy an additional power supply for it, or should my computer alone be enough? I'm not exactly sure what it can supply, is there some way I can check that?

Last edited:
Newegg is probably the best site to get PC parts from, shipping's quick and the prices are reasonable. I know XFX and Gigabyte are pretty decent, had three XFX cards myself (two 9800gts, and my current ATI 5850).

I can vouch for the trustworthiness of newegg. That site is fantastic and, barring a couple of emergency purchases, I always buy all my computer related parts from them.

Personal experience says Sapphire is a solid manufacturer for ATI, and everyone I know in RL that uses Nvidia buys EVGA.

Amazon is a great place to look for parts as well. I recently built a gaming rig and bought all my parts except the motherboard from amazon. Lowest prices overall.

Motherboard came from Newegg.

I've never bought computer parts from anywhere else. On the note of the PSU, what do you currently have in your computer? A 400 watt power supply can be pretty cheap too. Also, sometimes you can look for combo deals. Power supply and video card bundles. They usually only bundle high end stuff, but it's worth a look.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.670177

Check that link out. It's a better card than the 5670 and a nice power supply. I know the price is almost 200 dollars for the combo but you get a 55 dollar mail in rebate. So you are really only spending like 142 bucks. Which for those two items is a heck of a deal.

Last edited:
Here is a link to the specs on my Gateway FX7026:
http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/gateway-fx7026/4507-3118_7-32976302.html

It says it provides 400W of power, and most cards I'm looking at say they need 400W or greater, so will that be good alone? or should I probably get another power supply?

Also, if I do need an additional power supply, how can I know if it will work with the card? There's lots of cheaper ones on NewEgg that I think could work fine, but they all have different PCI-E Connectors. How do I know which type of PCI-E connector I need to look for?

Last edited:
Here is a link to the specs on my Gateway FX7026:
http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/gateway-fx7026/4507-3118_7-32976302.html

It says it provides 400W of power, and most cards I'm looking at say they need 400W or greater, so will that be good alone? or should I probably get another power supply?

Also, if I do need an additional power supply, how can I know if it will work with the card? There's lots of cheaper ones on NewEgg that I think could work fine, but they all have different PCI-E Connectors. How do I know which type of PCI-E connector I need to look for?

Personally, I'd go with more power than it says it requires. Cause your other components will also be drawing power. If your card says it needs 400 I'd go with at least 500W.

So since I have 400 already, do I just need to buy a power supply that gives like 200W? I dont need a big 400 or 500W one right?

If you were a max engineer you could build a whole new computer using only murloc fins and peacebloom. Wouldn't that be easier than shaman training?

Enough of this thread hijack! Ha. Engris, almost every new power supply nowadays will have at least one (usually two) pci-e connectors (6 pins), so you don't need to worry there. If you are confused you can always look at the detailed specs of each PSU you are looking at on Newegg. They are pretty good at listing correct specs. And yes, you cannot stack power supplies. You need one new one. I'd say you would be safe with your 400 considering the other components in your computer are probably not super high end, and most likely arent power hogs. However, if they are siginificantly old, they might be. Best bet is to get a new power supply.

Another note: Most power supplies nowadays have all the older connectors on them, or at least the provision to modify them via clipping two plugs together, etc. If you have any other questions about power supply details, do ask. I build custom desktop pcs as a hobby and sometimes as a side business.

Too much downtime with the nerf to mana totem!

True. Maybe get someone in the house to become a druid and get an innervate?

Other than that, Stoneclaw Totem would keep you occupied.

STONE AND CLAW COMBINED. CAN YOU TAKE IT?

Last edited:
Back