Group Tactics Part One: The Tank and Spank

Lechuza

Group Tactics: Part One

In any situation that you discuss class roles and strategies, you will invariably have people who complain, "You noob! I can do what ever I want, I'm a L3337 Haxxor and have 3 level 70 twinks and I can solo Blood Furnace and I an a PvP twink and your a newb. lolololo111. !@#@!!#" So. let's get this out of the way.

Everything that I write, in any post, is a suggestion. These are my opinions. They are well-researched, and long thought about, but you may completely ignore them, as you wish.

You bought the program and expansion, paid between $40 - $50 just to get started. You pay your $15 a month. In my humble opinion, you have paid all you need to to play in anyway you want. You can take as much time as you want to level, you can spec your character in any way you want. You can use your hunter to tank, use a 2 handed sword with your warrior, and buy enchants just for the glow. This is your right.

As you level in the game, or do any solo-play, you can do anything you want. Have fun. Try unconventional builds, and unconventional strategies. I believe that every mistake or blunder is just a chance to learn. So, go make mistakes! This is your right.

Once you start to play with other people in your group, though, your mistakes start to cost other people. The higher your character is, the more repair bills are. Buff, health, and mana potions get expensive.This is why you may get yelled at in a Pick Up Group (PUG) by people who don't know you. I would encourage you to avoid getting your feelings hurt by the harsh words, and try to listen to the intent. ("You jerk! Why aren't you using a shield? You don't even know how to play your class! You are out of teh group! @%#%$# off and die!" actually means, "Please sit, do a bit of research and learn how to best play your class in a group environment. You may not realize this, but you have cost me 5g in repairs, potions, and bandages. You have also caused a group wipe, and discouraged the rest of the group. As such, I believe that the best interests of the group would be better served if I remove the problem. Have a good day, and good luck in your endeavors.") To avoid this, instead of complaining about the group that kicked you out, I would recommend actually learning what is usually expected of your class, and practicing it.

For the record, I was kicked out of the first instance I ever ran with a PUG. I stayed in melee when a enemy would attack me, instead of getting to range, so the priestess kicked me out. It kept me from joining PUGs for a long time, and instances in general, until I could solo them. Since the experience and gear scales, by the time I could solo an instance, it usually was not worth it.

To avoid this, I would encourage you to learn to play your role as best you can. So, let's look in to those roles in general.

The Tank and Spank

The most common strategy in most group combat games that pit player versus environment (or PvE) involves the use of three (non-distinct) groups of players working in three specific roles. The number of players in a role is usually determined by the final, most powerful boss. Depending on the strength and defenses of the boss, some groups will include hybrid classes that can fulfill two or more roles. Often times, these hybrid classes better serve the group by "respeccing" to focus on one role. To better understand the nuances of the strategy, and your role in them, we will first look at the three main roles. Hold on, this MAY surprise you.

The three roles are the Tank, the Healer, and the DPS dealer. Hybrid classes are those that can fulfill two or more of these roles.

Warriors are the "pure" Tank in the game. Contrary to popular thought, tanking is not the process of destroying the target, but actually keeping it occupied. The tank's main value is his large amount of Health and Armor, and the way he builds Rage (by getting hit). The tank actually grows stronger the more damage he takes. As you may see, tanking is actually a form of Crowd Control, since he is mainly keeping the Boss (the main, most dangerous enemy) out of the fight while the DPS classes destroy the other targets. Of course, if the tank is properly equipped, and / or over-leveled for the instance, the Tank can take out the Boss.

Priests are the "pure" Healer in the game. A Healer's main purpose is to keep the Tank alive. Secondly, he must keep himself alive (but, if forced to choose, he needs to keep himself alive) . Last, but not least, he should try to keep the DPS dealers alive, if he can. The other classes need to keep the priests limitations in mind. They have a limited amount of mana, and must focus on the tank, then themselves. I have seen hunters and warlocks complain to priests about healing their pets. As a hunter, I must say this: Heal you own pet! I've found nice priests who heal my pets, but they should never do that in the middle of a hard fight. Keep your focus, and mana, on the tank and yourself. Help the DPS classes when you can, but if a tank dies, the groups usually wipes.

Mages, warlocks, rogues and hunters are "pure" Damage Per Second (DPS) classes. It is their job to take out the secondary bosses one by one (attacking as a group, one target at a time)

Druids, shamans, and paladins are the Hybrids classes in the game. All three of these can tank, and heal. Druids in their cat form can also deal out DPS. At lower levels, and simpler instances, an All-around spec will work just fine, and the Hybrids can play any role he chooses. At higher levels, in tougher instances, A Hybrid is expected to choose one role, and spec for that. Most Hybrids also keep multiple sets of gear, one set per role.

Two other roles, which are done by everyone, are Crowd Control, and Buffing. Every class in the game has self and group buffs, and every class has a way of taking a target out of combat ( freeze /sap / stun /sleep /sheep / root, etc),

Let's put all this together, in simple example. Our cast of characters will include a main tank (a warrior), a healer (priest), a ranged DPS (mage) and two melee DPS (rogue and cat-form druid). They are facing four enemies: The Boss, and three mini-bosses, one of which is a caster.

The Group Leader (anyone can lead the group, but it should be the one with experience in the instance, or in general) should "mark" the targets, and be sure that everyone knows the target that they are assigned. Because of the environment (let's say it's a large square room), the Group Leader decides that there will be no advantage to pulling a target. The tank attacks the Boss, gaining and holding aggro. The mage sheeps one mini-boss, and the rogue saps another. The DPS classes begin to wear down the remaining target, the caster. The healer watches the health of the Tank, and because the encounter is pretty simple, he can also keep track and heal the rogue and druid. Once the DPS characters kill their target, they switch to the next one. As needed, the mage (who should be at range, and can therefore keep track a bit easier) sheeps the third mini-boss. The DPS team continues to kill their targets, one after another. If the Boss was very strong, the Tank may still be working on him. Now everyone can combine forces, and wipe him out.

Variances may include more targets, stranger environment (say caverns, and obstacles breaking up lines of sight) and ranged fighters instead of melee. Your tactics should be adapted as needed.

Of course, things may not go as planned. But with practice, and everyone knowing how to play their role, things do seem to get closer to the ideal.

Lots of good points. I think people who say "Its my $15 a month, I play how I wish" need to be told "in this group its our $60 a month, which makes this a team and if you are not willing to be part of the team, somebody will be found to replace you." And if its the group leader being difficult, then simply leave.

As for the Tank \ healing \ dps. This is known as the Holy Trinity of the game. Know your role and be the best you can be in it. Tanking is often not just controlling one mob, its controlling all mobs not currently being controlled by some other means (sheep, fear, ice trap, sap, or off tanked etc) Healing is not just about healing the tank and yourself, dead dps doesn't make anything any easier in the end although a healer may decide to let a dps die if they feel it is in the best interest of the group (ie...a mage tanking a boss is rarely a good idea). And dps isn't just about doing max damage in the shortest period of time, its also about managing your agro relative to the tanks. Its also not about hitting anything everything in place, there is a time to AoE damage and there is a time not to AoE damage.

As with anything in life in a group, Learn your position, know it, love it, practice it, embrace it.

It is a good read overall.

That sounds great, when can we practice? :D

This is actually a GREAT idea.

Practice runs help a lot. Too often we look at instances and runs as a chance to get exp, gold and gear, but if we can get a good core group who has experience together, it will make a HUGE difference when we start to look at end-game content.

This may sounds strange, but I'd recommend BGs as a "practice" stage, since repair costs would be cut down drastically.

Getting a 5 man team (tank, healer, and 3 DPS / CC) and joining a BG would do a lot to develop a good dynamic, not to mention turning the tide of the BG itself.

That said, all the quests in my log involve an Outland instance, so I'm up for anything.
:cool:

I'm up for whatever but BG's would be awesome since I only have three pieces of S1 gear. I did enough BG's in one day to get 7500 honor so I could buy my first fist weapon and it kind of burnt me out. Especially since I need 20 EOTS markers to get my next piece. As you all know (I'm sure) horde does not do well in EOTS. My only problem is that I have trouble with the TS server, I don't suppose we could use my vent server instead? Or, I can always fight some more with TS. But comms would be a must I think no?

Back