Guild Event - World vs. World for Newbies - Thursday, Oct 04, 9 EST/6 PST

RyanB

Legacy of Elijah Guild Leader
Guild Event - World vs. World for Newbies - Thursday, Oct 04, 9 PM EST/6 PST

Who: Everybody, level 1-80. Don't be shy; we'll teach you.
What: A newbie-oriented guild WvW event. We will focus on moving about, getting points of interest, killing NPCs, and taking small checkpoints...and anything that pops up along the way. Come get tons of easy XP, karma, ores, drops, and skill points. Easy to get started, lots of fun to be had.
Where: Sanctum of Rall Borderlands map, which you can join from anywhere by hitting B -> Join World Versus World -> Sanctum of Rall Borderlands
Note: we may do a different map, depending on who has control of what at the time, but borderlands tend to be a bit less fierce than the Eternal Battlegrounds.
When: 9 PM EST until whenever. I plan to be around at least 3 hours. Chances are someone will be on even later. Don't be surprised if you get stuck in queue; shouldn't last more than 5-15 minutes. Running late? No problem! You can hook up with us whenever you are able.
Teamspeak: As with any guild event, please use TeamSpeak! You do not need to speak or be on a mic, regardless of whether you just don' have one or are not comfortable. However, it is far, far easier if you log in to listen in! TeamSpeak info is here.

Let me first say that I'm a newbie @ WvW. Honestly, pretty much everyone in WvW is.

This is not like structured 1 on 1 PvP, and is far more like Alliance Battles of Guild Wars 1, albeit larger. While there is a deep element of strategy, most battles can be won or lost through sheer numbers. So we'll focus on playing it safe and gently dip our toes into the action. I'll post some more info on WvW itself and what to expect, but honestly it's like trying to learn a cool new board game. Far easier if you just play a round and learn as you go.

Questions? Ask away! Lots of people haven't even tried WvW yet, so any question could help everyone.

Last edited:
I'll be there.

WvW is great for anyone that wants to learn PvP but is a bit afraid of facing real players in combat. Arenanet has kept all the fun elements of PvP and found nice solutions to the bad elements. I didn't like PvP in GW1 very much but so far I love WvW. If you are a PvE person at heart then there is a lot of PvE content on these maps. You'll be killing centaurs, gathering herbs, getting skill points and helping out the Quaggan all while helping your team win the overall battle. It's possible to spend hours in WvW and never even see an enemy player. On the other hand, if you want pvp action, you'll see icons on the map telling you where the action is. Head on over there.

Here are the common issues I had with PvP in GW1 and other games as well as ArenaNet's solutions.

Issue #1 - "I'm not very good at PvP. I don't want to disappoint my team. I'll just be a failure." No you won't! It doesn't matter if you're the worst pvp'er on the planet. You'll still be a help to your team just by being in there. It doesn't matter if you're a level 1 noob that doesn't know how to hold a sword. You're still an obstacle to the other team.

Issue #2 - "I don't want to hear all the rants and trash talk from the other team" - This is my biggest issue with PvP. You go into battle and have to endure the abuse from that warrior you just slaughtered or who just slaughtered you. The guy has the maturity of an 8 year old, the temper tantrums of a 2 year old and the mouth of a sailor. It's not a problem here because you are completely anonymous and there is no way to communicate with the other teams. You'll never see the character names of your opponents. Instead you see "Darkhaven Invader" or "Darkhaven Defender" or "Darkhaven Beast" for pets. This tells you which server that player is from and if you click on them you can see their guild, but that's it. They see the same info for you. So don't worry about that dead thief's buddies stalking you thru the mail system.

Issue #3 - "I can't find a team. My pvp rank isn't good enough to join the good groups" - You don't need a team for WvW. If you're new you want to stay with the crowd but you don't need to form up a team for that. Just look for a commander symbol somewhere on the map and head there. If you see a large group of friendly players, join them. They'll be happy to see you coming. The larger the crowd, the better chance that crowd will accomplish their goals.

I'll be sleeping, but look forward to hearing about the grandeous adventures had by all!

I've enjoyed WvW greatly every time I have gone in there. Since my last visit, I updated my armor/weapons to rares with exotic upgrades so I am eager to see some higher numbers!

Great points!

Remember folks, you don't need to outrun the enemy zerg. You just need to outrun your teammates. :) Seriously, though, you hit the nail on the head with all 3 of those. There is a great feeling of comradarie in WvW. It's just like in PvE when you're having difficulty with a skill point and bam, help comes. People in WvW go out of their way to res you - they know it's a long run back and every body counts. The maps are huge, and yet you will often run into people heading to the same objective as you and it feels completely natural to work together or hop in a party and do it. Safety in numbers.

With a coordinated guild team, this should be even better. I'm excited!

Edit: Koeril, what is generally a good time to catch you? Saturday afternoon in the US? I know I've seen suggestions about that in the past.

Last edited:
I will probably be on around 10 or so thursday if y'all are still there ^.^

Thursdays I have a small group that usually runs until 9-9:30...

Edit: Koeril, what is generally a good time to catch you? Saturday afternoon in the US? I know I've seen suggestions about that in the past.

My schedule is so erratic, I can't really say with any assurity. My "guaranteed" play time is Sunday late-nights here which would be ... Sunday afternoon in the US like after 5pm. My daughter just started school also so that may send me to bed earlier. Best not to try and catch me online - it can be frustrating. I tend to play when time allows (15 minutes here and there).

That sounds really fun... I've been looking to get into WvW and this sounds like a great night to dip my toes...

I can probably only be there late with work and all... Is it possible to catch up with you guys?

Thursday, Oct 04, 9 EST/6 PST
is that 9pm US eastern?

will any charcter we choose be scaled to lv80 including gear/weapons

Yes, EST = Eastern

Any character scales up, but those who are not level 80 yet will not have all the skill points and trait points that full level 80's will have. It's still a GREAT time and if you are running around with a group, not having all those isn't exactly important. Now, I wouldn't highly suggest running around solo regularly until 80.

Oh, and bring a ranged weapon.

Last edited:
Does WvW have a separate trait build? In other words, can you put traits in different things than PvE without resetting traits?

No, but if you keep track of your builds, it only costs 3s and some copper to reset all 70 points. However, I purposefully chose a build for WvW that was good enough for PvE. I don't know if I will change when I get into doing stories/explorables in dungeons.

Last edited:
I'm also built for WvW that can handle fine in PvE. IMO WvW is the best part of this game (after Jumping puzzles I guess) so that's how I'm built.

Yes, EST = Eastern

Any character scales up, but those who are not level 80 yet will not have all the skill points and trait points that full level 80's will have. It's still a GREAT time and if you are running around with a group, not having all those isn't exactly important. Now, I wouldn't highly suggest running around solo regularly until 80.

Oh, and bring a ranged weapon.

sounds like a great learning experience for those who haven't tryed that aspect of the game..i'll make sure i am on TS3 and will gladly join

If I can get home in time - I'm planning to show up.

Never done WvW - looking forward to it.

Back