Guild Wars Favorite Builds

Abba San

Legacy of Elijah [LoE] - Proud Grandfather
I was looking over the Get to Know the Guildies thread - we have had a number of new people join in the last six months. Also, I often look to see who is on the forum - we have a lot of non-members who check in and look around. I thought it might be helpful to new people as well as attract some traffic if we had a thread that listed some of our favorite builds. I know that when I first got started I spent time checking forums for build ideas.

If there is a better way to manage this than a new thread here let me know or simply move this thread to the better place.

I figure we can list a build we like and why - not looking for it to be critiqued - but if you have a tweak, give us your build.

My favorite – right now – is my Elementalsit/Mesmer. He has vanquished all three lands with this build. It is my hard mode build.

He is 16 Fire – 13 Energy Storage. Hajkor’s Flame Green Wand – 20/20. Droknar’s Fire Focus Green – 20/20

Aura of Restoration – Savannah Heat – Fire Storm – Fireball – Arcane Echo – Pain Inverter – Glyph of Sacrifice – Meteor Shower

I don’t carry Meteor Shower without the Glyph of Sacrifice – too easy to interrupt without the instant cast.

The Arcane Echo lets me a) take care of two really bad guys – hydras, giants, crags, mesas, djinns – with echoed Pain Inverter, or b) get in three Savannah Heats in 25 seconds for large mobs.

Yes – I still use Fire Storm and Fireball – great, cheap damage with relatively quick recharge.

If I am not taking Meteor Shower I will add Summon Ruby Djinn and something for close-up – like Flame Djinn’s Haste.

I make substitutions when I am going up against particularly pesky foes – fire imps or bad guys who need interrupting.

The only healing I have is Aura of Restoration – and no Resurrect. I usually depend on a Spiritway or Sabway hero group and take some healing and/or protection from the henchies.

I'm looking forward to seeing some Monk builds - Smiting or Healing - he is the next character I am planning to bring through the campaigns.

This will come as no surprise to anyone who has played with me, but...

A/W
12+1 Crit Strikes,
12+1+1 Dagger
15^50, Zealous, +enchant dagger
Full Nightstalkers + vitae + vigor runes
Res scrolls (don't be the person who ends up being the last one alive with no res!)

Golden Fox Strike
Wild Strike
Death Blossom
Moebius Strike
Save Yourselves!
For Great Justice!
Critical Defenses
Critical Agility

Variants:
Assassin's Remedy for FGJ in areas with blindspam.
Maybe sub

Where to use:
I've used this bar on every map and mission in the game in hard mode.

DB/Moebius spamming is nothing new, but the bar on PvX is terrible (asuran scan = worst possible skill to run with this bar, crit eye is a waste). First two attacks are unblockable and dump stances, DB = 86 AoE Shadow Damage, and moebius lets you chain it. And of course, SY = major party defense. Blocked attacks = lost adrenaline, so use unblockable attacks.

I can post some specific usage notes if requested since it's completely counter-intuitive (don't try to take out backline, attack the healthiest enemy frontline instead of the weakest, etc). I'd estimate out of the ~120 areas to vanquish I used heroes/hench for ~80-90, so I could post hero builds to run specifically with this if someone wanted (or send in game).

Finally fixed my desktop PC, so I'll be able to sign in again. I'll post some hero builds here. Most of what I use is geared towards being an adrenaline spammer...my dual MMs roll mark of fury, withering aura, splinter, etc. for synergy. I'll post some general stuff too, though. :)

PVE - Mesmer/Assassin

Ebon Vanguard Assassin's Promise Spiker

Template Code:
OQdUA2ANKPTiOLB7iLQTA2gxkOBA

Attributes:
Fast Casting: 11 +1 +1
Illusion: 4 +1
Inspiration: 5 +1
Deadly Arts: 12

Skills:
Auspicious Incantation
Arcane Echo
Ebon Vanguard Assassin Support [PvE]
Assassin's Promise [Elite]
Fragility
Cry of Pain [PvE]
"Finish Him!" [PvE]
Epidemic (optional Rez)

EQ:
I'm currently using radiant insignia's and an insightful arcane staff of defense, but you have a lot of freedom here, as energy really isn't a problem with this build.

The trick to this build is hexing a target w/ Assassin's Promise and then spiking it. Hex. Spike. Repeat. Do this until all that remains is your army of summoned assassins ;)

Start off with Auspicious Incantation -> Arcane Echo -> Ebon Vanguard Assassin Support (AVAS). This will create a copy of AVAS, which you cast next. Then Cast Assassin's Promise on your target followed up by Fragility as a cover hex if necessary. Use Cry of Pain to interrupt, spread degen and do some extra damage or drop them quick with "Finish Him!" and spread the deep wound and cracked armor via Epidemic. Once the target dies, Assassin's Promise will trigger renewing all of your skills and giving you 17 energy. So you can Auspicious and summon two more assassins. I've had 6 or 7 assassins, maybe more active at times. Fun build, beware of hex removal!

Last edited:
I guess I can share some of my PvP builds. I made these with the intention for JQ/FA, but if you can find another purpose I won't complain ;)

R/ Turtle Killer:

Burning Arrow
Hunters Shot
Savage Shot
Poison Tip Signet
Whirling Defense (Optional)
Rapid Fire (Optional)
Troll Unguent
Storm Chaser (Optional)

Marksmanship: 12-1-2 (15)
Wilderness Survival: 9-1 (10)
Expertise: 9-1 (10)

Poisonous Recurve Bow of _______
Poisonous Flatbow of ________

Aside from the +33% poison, the bow doesn't matter. I like Recurve because it gives a nice multi-tool weapon, and the flatbow for those long shots. For the skills, I like to have a IMS running around in JQ/FA since the faster you get there, the faster you cap and get points. I've been toying around with the preparation (Rapid Fire) and you can use a couple different ones, tho I would run into energy problems with 15e preparations (Apply Poison etc.). Whirling Defense is just incase some pesky sin or warrior jumps on you, but you could also use Throw Dirt (less reliable, but cheaper) or another stance. Just make sure you don't counter Storm Chaser with Whirling.

JQ: Ok, so you're job is to kill Turtles. (Notice I did not say Juggernauts, Kurzick only, hence the name Turtle Killer) You hit them with your degen, and hope that a monk isn't there to heal them. The very beginning I like to go to the middle teleporter and just before I teleport I hit Poison Tip Signet. When the match begins run over the the ledge above where the green shrine is. The luxons should cap that shrine and that's when you unleash on the turtle, effectively stopping a crucial starting point. If you are able to kill that turtle you can camp there and just take it out every time it respawns, however odds are you will be attacked and have to run. You can also hang out by the entrances to the Luxon Base and kill turtles when they return. (probably the most effective since it wastes the most time for the Luxons) Hopefully your team is competent and is able to score points and you win by a nice margin. My personal best is 10-1 I think, haven't quite gotten a shutout with this build yet ;)

FA: Again, #1 priority is the turtles, except its even more important since the turtles actually fight back this time. Again, just before the match starts hit Poison Tip Signet and run towards the right teleporter BUT DO NOT ENTER. Switch to your flatbow and try to move as close to the edge as possible. Once the siege turtle comes into view, target him and try to attack him as soon as possible. There is a small window where you will be able to hit him with your flatbow, but otherwise he will be either too far away or too close and you can't hit him. Its a little tricky, but with practice you'll be able to snipe him. If you're able to get that turtle great, if not the Purple gate should be down by now and that turtle is trying to come through. Head over to that ledge and take him down. FA is more likely to have monks that will guard the turtles, which makes your job harder. Call the monks (and a few healing skills they use so your team know they are healers and not smiters) and try and kill them. If you're not able to do any damage on one side, head to the other and hope for better luck. Worse comes to worse you can always run amber with you IMS and provide pressure.

Enjoy :)

Back