GW2 - Economy

Prophet Elhanan

I found this very interesting.

commerce-infographic-EN.png

I think the economy will be nothing like the beta economy. For the reasons they specified. While it's cool to see the figures, it's not going to be accurate of the retail game.

I agree.

Personally, I was spending a lot more and focusing on things I didn't care about just to test them out before it really counted. :) I do hope they do these periodically though. It would be nice to see how the economy is going.

I think someone has a site that is like a price tracker for items. Looks a little like the NYSE ticker. It was in a Wooden Potatoes video, I'm too lazy to find it again. :p

I thought it was interesting that soldier armor was the least crafted armor, but weaponsmithing was the highest of the weapon crafts.

I expect cooking will be a lot more popular because of dyes and consumables will be more desired at endgame where people are looking for the slight edge.

Cool that Anet are taking it seriously enough to hire someone to manage the economy. I suppose the fact that real life money finds it's way into the game via gems was a good motivation. It's not just about keeping the economy in game stable for the fun of the players, it's also about making sure the gem shop continues to be a stable income source.

The trading post values chart was one of the most interesting pieces, and he didn't comment on that at all. Prices never stabilized, which is expected over such a short time and with no long term motivation in the economy. It'll be interesting to see how that works out after launch.

When it come to watching the economy for personal reasons in game, I have a tendency to try and gain wealth through the slow and steady approach, not through jumping on a temporary bump. So once it goes live, not before a charting of the economy will become invaluable, but will take a couple of months to get a proper feel for how it is going.

Back