Harry Potter Book

well then..since Harry Potter is most assuredly NOT God's creation..
this statement in a small way bothers me because of the fact that the author is of God's creation and the talent that she has and that IS of God's creation, albeit the author's intent of her work may or may not have had the intent of it being of God's creation can be left up to debate (which I will leave it to those whom want to debate over that aspect) it is in some way of God's creation.

Don't get me wrong, I understand what you are saying about Harry Potter and all, but that's just me.

Also on another note from what I had just stated, I don't have a problem with Harry Potter mainly because of the fact that I have to agree with what has been stated by a few other people in this thread that it is a piece of entertainment and in my opinion should be viewed as such. Not to say that we shouldn't go into anything without some level of discernment such as reading the books or anything but we should also be aware of what is going on as well, in short being in the world but yet not of it.

I never saw Harry potter as a healthy dose of entertainment... then again neither did I see Guild Wars as a "health" dose of entertainment... just my opinion

I have to agree and say that Harry Potter is part of God's creation because he gave the talent and inspiration to the author. Sure it is obviously tainted by sin but I still believe it can be read and enjoyed to the Glory of God.

Sure it is obviously tainted by sin but I still believe it can be read and enjoyed to the Glory of God.

That's a good way of putting it. I think it's important to distinguish the work of God from God being able to be glorified through that work. I'm still not convinced you can see God through Harry Potter without skewing it, but God can make him self glorified through anything. Evidence of this was 9/11 or Columbine--terrible tragedies which ultimately brought us closer to God.

Another thing I thought of last night was just the concept of Good triumphing over Evil. This is the theme of many many stories, and I'd suggest that any story where "the good guys win" has an element of God whether they like it or not, and we can praise God through that story, thanking Him that he created a world where Good will ultimately defeat Evil. (Though, I haven't finished HP yet, so I couldn't tell you if that's how it ends.) That's all for now.

-Chadley

Entertainment is fine as long as you don't allow yourself to be caught up in it. Of course you need to avoid cliffs before you fall off of them. For instance you will look up a movie and make sure it doesn't have strong language or nudity before watching something rated 'R'. The same applies why I don't go out to parties with certain people, I steer clear of the obstacle before I crash headlong into it and pay the price.

My main problem with the harry potter series is the fact that people get so caught up in it the the point of it being a religion. There are some *weird* people out there who literally worship harry to the point where it makes me sick.

I believe that aside from Creation directly forged by God it is not from Him. He may work through others to do good, but I fail to see why we should call something as FROM God when it could be something God wanted or led someone to do.

I have to agree and say that Harry Potter is part of God's creation because he gave the talent and inspiration to the author. Sure it is obviously tainted by sin but I still believe it can be read and enjoyed to the Glory of God.
That's a good way of putting it.

I believe that aside from Creation directly forged by God it is not from Him. He may work through others to do good, but I fail to see why we should call something as FROM God when it could be something God wanted or led someone to do.

Nicely said. I think a lot of people who are saying something is 'from God' are really trying to say that something is 'of God', which has specific religious connotations. In my opinion, declaring something as either from or of God, or vice versa, should not be undertaken lightly. It is akin to a scientist declaring something as scientific law. You'd expect such a scientist to have a wealth of information to back up such a claim, and similarly I'd expect anyone who proclaims something like Harry Potter to be 'of God' or vice versa to have a very deep and thorough understanding of the Harry Potter series and to have gathered information about the series through a thorough and intellectually honest process.

Just as a side note, I went through such a process to develop an informed opinion about the religious implications of the original Harry Potter book. I began that process by reading an entire book supporting the idea that Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone had the potential to sway vulnerable readers into Witchcraft (Harry Potter and the Bible). After that I read and participated in numerous online discussions and articles related to the book. And finally, I read the entire first Harry Potter book myself.

Also as another side note (sorry I have a weakness for making side notes :) ), the apostle Paul encourages us not to disparage others because of whatever physical or psychological crutches they may need. In regards to Harry Potter, if you can't personally understand the need/attachment some people have to the series, then I think you should consider carefully before rebuking or disparaging them because of that need/attachment.

Paul

Each of the books has some representation of Christ's death and sacrifice. From the first book to the seventh book, each one has a representation of it. I finished the 7th book about 5 minutes ago and it has the most blatant representation out of all of them.

Harry Potter also has a very defined role for magic. Much like LOTR's roles. It's good versus evil.

I'm with Chad. Very good form of entertainment. I don't really care if there's some unrealistic representation of magic and witches and wizards in it as long as it can actually manage to keep my attention for more than 5 minutes. I know that I have the power of the Spirit that rose my Savior from the dead in me.

I completely agree with you and Chad, I haven't finished book seven yet, but I'm on page 300 or so.

I've heard about quotes from Rowlings stating that she is, indeed, a Christian. I can't verify this right now, but supposedly she intends it to be reflective of Christian truths, though it's not specifically Christian.

Heiscominsoon:

I can understand your trepidation. I dabbled with the occult in my junior and senior years (my parents aren't Christian, though my paternal grandparents and much of the family was). I wasn't a Christian at the time, either, though I assumed I was. My sister, however, has embraced paganism and Wicca to varying degrees throughout the years. So believe me, I get it. I've seen it; I've read many of her books; I've done research. And, of course, I've prayed and prayed that she would turn from it.

My take:
I believe Harry Potter isn't the same as an occult how-to, as has been claimed by some (not necessarily here). While it parallels some aspects of pagan practice, it is opposed in others, and is obviously a work of fantasy. It can no more teach one how to be a witch or wizard than my D&D Player's Handbook.

If anyone has a fascination with the occult, don't read books or play games, etc., with an occult theme. Avoid things like Harry Potter. If you do read it, pay attention to why you enjoy it. Is it because you love fantasy in general? If so, why? Is it the occult aspect? If so, be wary. I know many dedicated, spiritually mature Christians who enjoy it in a totally healthy manner, as well as many spiritually mature Christians who won't read it or let their kids read it.

I don't think it should be used as a mandatory book in any public school, because of the spiritual and potential religious issues. However, I don't think it should be banned or forbidden in public schools. If a school wants to offer it as an option on the reading list, that's fine. But I don't think any child should be forced to read it in a public school.

Private schools? Another matter entirely. They should make their own decisions. That's part of the beauty of private schools.

Well said MM. I have been meaning to respond here but just haven't found the time. I have read and enjoyed Harry Potter and many other scifi and fantasy books in my life. When my son started to read them we had a nice mommy-son talk about the books being as real as Winnie the Pooh and that in the real would power comes from God or Satan(yes his power is only loaned to him) and if power is not coming directly from God there is only one other place it could come from no matter how "white" or good it is said to be. Like Stc I am surprised to find anyone ok with the magic in our games to have a problem with these books.

Kel Queen of all Europe

Got ahold of it. Gotta be honest, it might cut into my GW time for however long it takes me to read it... I'm excited. :D

-Chadley

yeah, i'll have to wait till friend or family is done with it to borrow it. in the meantime, i've got a lot left in the Lensman series. :D

Just finished reading it! Loved it, thought it was the best one yet! I actually missed half a days work cause I had to know how it ended. A bit sad I know but what can you do?

I don't think it should be used as a mandatory book in any public school, because of the spiritual and potential religious issues. However, I don't think it should be banned or forbidden in public schools. If a school wants to offer it as an option on the reading list, that's fine. But I don't think any child should be forced to read it in a public school.

See MM, this is what I've never understood. Why would a school make it mandatory reading? Religious or spiritual themes aside, I don't know if I would exactly place it as a pinnacle of fantasy writing. In my opinion (and from what I gather from others), there are much better fantasy books and series out there (granted, "better" is pretty unquantifiable). There's probably a good reason I'm just too dumb to see. Would they do that because it was popular? Or maybe cause kids would actually read it...it being a "kids" series and all, not to mention it's Harry Potter? Or maybe another reason? Just cause it's a cool premise? Someone help me out here...

See MM, this is what I've never understood. Why would a school make it mandatory reading? Religious or spiritual themes aside, I don't know if I would exactly place it as a pinnacle of fantasy writing. In my opinion (and from what I gather from others), there are much better fantasy books and series out there (granted, "better" is pretty unquantifiable). There's probably a good reason I'm just too dumb to see. Would they do that because it was popular? Or maybe cause kids would actually read it...it being a "kids" series and all, not to mention it's Harry Potter? Or maybe another reason? Just cause it's a cool premise? Someone help me out here...

I agree, it has yet to be seen whether the series as a whole will withstand the test of time. And I see no reason why in 50 or 100 years people will refer to Harry Potter as a "classic," which is normally the books read in school. I mean, compare HP to books like 1984 or All Quiet on the Western Front or Bros. Karamazov or even simply LotR. HP is entertaining and hugely successful for what it is, but it's still in a completely different class.

However, I also don't see why spiritual or religious motifs or even occult references will ban the book from mandatory reading. I'd say that many more kids face problems with depression than gearing toward the occult, and yet we read books like A Separate Peace or Grapes of Wrath or anything else by John Steinbeck (who, imo, has the bleakest outlook on life of anyone I can think of). Maybe now I'm just getting into personal grudges for having to read those books, myself...

-Chadley

I don't know if I would exactly place it as a pinnacle of fantasy writing. In my opinion (and from what I gather from others), there are much better fantasy books and series out there (granted, "better" is pretty unquantifiable). There's probably a good reason I'm just too dumb to see. Would they do that because it was popular? Or maybe cause kids would actually read it...

I agree on the quality issue; I've read much better fantasy fiction. It's good, but I think the storyline is better than the writing.

I think a part of the reason is that it's popular, so kids WILL read it...and some will compete to see who can read it fastest. That's using peer pressure for good. :) But still, I don't think it should be mandatory or a scheduled part of class. If kids want to do a project on it, fine. If they want to read it to meet their reading requirement, fine. But not a mandatory or regular part of class. Even if kids can skip it, they have to be singled out. That's never good.

Harry, of course, is able to battle supernatural evil with supernatural forces of his own, and Rowling is quite clear that she doesn't personally believe in that kind of magic -- ''not at all.'' Is she a Christian?

''Yes, I am,'' she says. ''Which seems to offend the religious right far worse than if I said I thought there was no God. Every time I've been asked if I believe in God, I've said yes, because I do, but no one ever really has gone any more deeply into it than that, and I have to say that does suit me, because if I talk too freely about that I think the intelligent reader, whether 10 or 60, will be able to guess what's coming in the books.''

[toj.cc]phantom;237015 said:
because if I talk too freely about that I think the intelligent reader, whether 10 or 60, will be able to guess what's coming in the books.

Now what kind of a quote is that to be giving to someone halfway through the book! :mad:

Still, that's very interesting. I had thought I had heard several years ago that she was kind of a kook when it came to her spirituality. Though I suppose I would have heard that from some who, at the time, thought HP was out to destroy Christianity. I also like what she said (despite it's generalization) about the religious right. You can imagine their skin crawling knowing that someone as dastardly as JK Rowling will be met in heaven.

I do wish more people would ask her about it though cause believing in God is rather generic...

-Chadley

Back