Having a bit of trouble installing Linux

the_great_eskimo_pie

Former Official Thread Killer
Alright. I have this old Toshiba laptop that I have been messing around with. Basically I got it for free and all I had to buy was the power cord. (Which I did) However the windows 95 copy that was on there did not recognize anything. (the laptop has one USB drive.

http://www.toshiba-europe.com/computers/products/notebooks/satellitepro490cdt/product.shtm

There is the link to the exact specifications. Currently I have 64 megs or RAM in the machine.

Now the problem is, I installed Windows XP on the machine. It worked fine (if a bit slow) However I have the same cop of XP installed on another computer and it is verified (or whatever Microsoft makes you do.) So I decided that since I am only using said laptop to really do word processing. I may as well try out Linux. Only problem is. I have no idea how to install Linux over the windows operating system or to make a Boot CD-ROM for linux.

I am really starting to think that the cd-rom drive on the machine may not be new enough to read the burned disc anyway...

So unless I figure out what to do in order to get DSL Linux on the machine, I'm probably going to put Windows 2000 on the machine and play with it and see if it works.

Any help would be much appreciated.

And yes, I plan on buying a better laptop soon.

that is highly unattractive. since the laptop has a usb port, try booting DSL from it if you can. i would suggest yellowdog or slax as other alternatives. most older style laptops CAN read the cd's. i wouldt torrent the files either ive had more trouble with torrented iso's than ones gotten from ftp and http sites

Pie. Burn a copy of DSL onto a blank CD at the slowest possible burn setting. When the laptop boots, enter the BIOS and make sure you're booting from the CD. Then boot from that CD. With only 64MB of RAM I'm not sure if DSL will mount to be effective for you. HOWEVER, I've been known to be wrong. Once DSL load's (by the way, it will be running from the CD), post on here, and I'll take you through the rest of the steps, or even better, call me this weekend and I can walk you verbally. :D

One problem. it won't let me enter the Bios at all. :( I have tried everything from escape to F12. Nothing works. Any other ideas? Or should I just put Windows 2000 on it for now so I have it for word processing?

2k won't install on 64 megs..or if it does..get ready for a 2-5 minute boot BEFORE you install any programs.

None of those work PW.... I'm debating of just installing XP again and doing that until such a time until I can get a newer laptop to play with.

Or I may just scrap the idea and wait till I can buy my moms old laptop and use it instead. :D I think I'll try and sell this one for the price of the power cord.

Back