Hello...a few questions?!?

Xymnas

Trieb of Judah Starcraft Series Chapter Co-leader
Hey guys. I've been a ToJ member for some time now and I've played pretty much every other game than guild wars. And was wondering about a few things. I was looking into getting guild wars 2 when it comes out but I was wondering how the game is. Pros and cons. I've played a lot of wow... So I don't know how it compares to that. I quite playing wow because it was such a bore and looking for something new. So yah let me know what you all think about the game.

Thanks

Hey Xymnas!

We still don't know too much about GW2 except for a few professions and several game mechanics that will differ from GW1, however, from the videos we've seen and the expectations Anet has put on itself, GW2 should be awesome.

It'll be a little more WoW like in the sense that there will be less instances. However, it will still retain Anet's motto of skill > time. Honestly, since GW2 is just being advertised there are no cons.. save maybe a very ambiguous release date.

If you have more specific questions we can try and answer please ask :). And if you can get your hands on a cheap version of GW1, go for it, there's no monthly fees so you aren't risking too much.

Also, I'm from Santa Rosa too! Well.. 15 mins out of the city towards the Russian River, but I pretty much went into Santa Rosa every day.

Haha really?!?! That's so sick!!!! I love it here in Santa rosa!!!

And yah if I find a cheap verson I'll get it. Get the first game or a few of the expantions? And not really any questions that come to mind. Was just thinking about the game and heard good things about it so I though Id give it a try.

Thanks

ya. if you looking into getting GW2 there is something that having the original GW unlocks items that you can get by accomplishing things in GW1.
i recomend nightfall and eye of north. factions is also good but the other 2 are best.

Usually you can get the first three in a Trilogy pack and then add Eye of the North. A couple of months ago the Trilogy was $15.99 at BestBuy - it is usually in the 29.99 - 39.99 range. I picked up an Eye of the North for $5.99 from Amazon.

Watch the ads - usually people in this forum post something if they see a deal.

Like Stc said, there is no monthly fee. So, whatever you can afford, that is your total cost.

I've never play WoW - so I can't compare, but happy to answer any GW questions you might have.

Thanks, I will keep my eye out for them. I am currently DLing the game via their web page. Keero was nice enough to let me try it out on his account and see if i like it. If i do, i think i may be joining up here soon.

And Abba San: I LOVE the fact that they dont have a monthly fee. Its not so much a problem paying for the stuff and the games. IT was just when i wouldnt play for a month or so on wow....there goes 15$...kinda lame

So yah. We will see how this ends up!

Thanks all for the info

I'll do my best to contrast GW and WoW, because there are some major differences that I feel are important, or at least to me.

The first (and most important) is that you can play on your own schedule. I have a 2yo daughter, a wife, and a job, and they all come first. WoW simply would not meet my schedule, because as far as I can tell the only thing to do end game is (up to) 25-man raids. High success rate means guild, guild means scheduling, because how else are you going to get 25 people on at once that know what they're doing. And therein lies the problem.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not anti-social. In fact my only goal left in GW1 is to play with my friends. Doing Underworld or other elite areas with allies is by far my favorite thing to do in GW. I just love that I don't have to do that each and every time I sign on, scheduling my life around it. (Almost) every quest, mission, vanquish, etc in GW can be done just fine with heroes/henchmen (NPC allies).

I like not having to pay per month...not because I can't squeeze a few bucks out of the budget, but because the P2Play set-up on WoW was factored into how it was designed. I can take a few months (or a year) off GW, and not have anyone feel like I'm letting them down.

Last major difference (for the good or bad) in GW is the focus on gameplay, not levels/items. You can hit max level (20) in a few hours of play time, and can get max weapons/armor by typing /bonus in the first town. The goal here is to play, not to grind constantly to attain levels or weapons to be competitive. The game is balanced for everyone. There are plenty of "elite" weapons/armor...but the only difference is cosmetic.

That's not to say there isn't plenty to do (or grind, if you want)...it took me over 1200 hours on my assassin to achieve everything I wanted to. The difference here is that you can play how you want, and don't have to grind or farm at all.

Guildwars is awesome, the developers are awesome (still releasing free content for GW1, 3 years after last paid expansion came out), and GW2 is going to be even better.

Edit: just saw this reply, reading comprehension bad nowadays:
Thanks, I will keep my eye out for them. I am currently DLing the game via their web page. Keero was nice enough to let me try it out on his account and see if i like it. If i do, i think i may be joining up here soon.

And Abba San: I LOVE the fact that they dont have a monthly fee. Its not so much a problem paying for the stuff and the games. IT was just when i wouldnt play for a month or so on wow....there goes 15$...kinda lame

So yah. We will see how this ends up!

Thanks all for the info

I suspected you might be Keero's buddy - talked to you in game yesterday (or was it Saturday?). Now you just need to get Keero to sign in! Let me know if you guys don't have any demo keys and need one.

Last edited:
But I'll be playing WoW soon... and and and I don't want to bump Xymnas off when he's playing, and and and...

But I'll be playing WoW soon... and and and I don't want to bump Xymnas off when he's playing, and and and...

Because WoW is the devil and there's such a thing as him grabbing is own account on the cheap?

Oh, you're so right! Thanks for clearing that up!

Activision-CEO-Bobby-Kotick-is-the-devil.jpg

>.> yah I was the one you talked to early. And thanks for you comparison. I can really see the differences in playing the game.

And if/when he takes his back I'm more than happy to get my own copy. And I wI'll definatly be getting GW2

>.> yah I was the one you talked to early. And thanks for you comparison. I can really see the differences in playing the game.

And if/when he takes his back I'm more than happy to get my own copy. And I wI'll definatly be getting GW2

Huzzah! Always good to have more folks around. :)

Back