help my friend get on LoL

Mostly_Harmless

Tribe of Judah Unreal Tournament Chapter Co-leader
I told my friend to try the first tutorial and this is what he said....

Ok, couldn't do the first one because it said: "Unable to connect to the server. If you have a firewall, it may be blocking the connection. Please refer to your firewall's documentation. Would you like to retry the connection?" Then I tried the second one, and it worked in explaining things and choosing a character, but then it said the same message after I pressed Lock In. I don't want to have to disable my Norton firewall just to play this game. It's not safe with all those hackers out there. ;_;

is it possible for him to play with firewall on!? thanks for help!

Ugg, personal firewalls can be a real pain. But if he's direct connected and not behind a NAT or some other means of protection, he's probably right that it is best to leave it on. I wouldn't let one of those pesky things on MY machine though!

There are just certain ports he can add an exception to for LoL. I'm not familiar with configuring Norton's firewall, but here is a link to the ports:

http://kb.leagueoflegends.com/questions/27/Required+Network+Ports

Thanks Brian for posting this message. And thanks Danny for the help. I added those ports in my router and the game plays fine now.

Unfortunately, I didn't really like this game much. I played the tutorial and battle training. It's not really my type of game.

But thanks for the help!

Oh goodness no, nobody would like this game after the tutorials! Just ask Tek :) They are really boring ways of showing you what the buttons and UI elements in the game are for... so that we don't get bombarded with noob questions :)

Oh goodness no, nobody would like this game after the tutorials! Just ask Tek :)
It's true. LoL is the type of game you must play with friends to enjoy to start enjoying. My limited exposure to the LoL community suggests it is, overall, on par with the Quake community for elitism and rudeness.

The second tutorial was so boring that I quit and nearly uninstalled the game after. Mostly_Harmless invited me to play with him and Danny. It took a few tries to arrange a time to play, but we eventually managed. A few matches with them made more sense of the game.

Another big help was finding a hero that I felt I could play competently and also was not boring to play (my apologies to Ashe and Sivir players). Morgana and LeBlanc are, so far, still my favorite champions. It's unfortunate that they both cost 3150 IP (influence points, which are NOT a real money currency) and I only have ~4500 IP so far.

My wife and I have our first little one on the way (her due date is before the end of February), so I'll probably be shelving the game for a while. I don't know if I'll come back when time allows because everyone will have leveled to the point where their superiority can no longer be expressed with mere numbers and will require complex advanced mathematical equations using imaginary numbers and the such. Also, a few months away from gaming means the release of even more awesome games and my backlog is already stacking up.

I am by no means the biggest fan of LoL, but I'd still encourage a ToJ member to play the game with other ToJ members to get a feel for how the game really feels.

There's more to LoL than Try Hard players, ZOMWBBQINSTADEATH, LoL-ese (a new language consisting almost entirely of jargon), and the attack-retreat-attack-retreat-attack-retreat-attack-retreat-attack-retreat-attack-retreat-attack-retreat-attack-retreat-attack-retreat-attack-retreat-attack-retreat-attack-retreat-attack-retreat-attack-retreat-attack-retreat-attack-retreat-attack-retreat-attack-retreat-attack-retreat-attack-retreat-attack-retreat-attack-retreat-attack-retreat-attack-retreat-attack-retreat-attack-retreat-attack-retreat-attack-retreat-attack-retreat-attack-retreat-attack-retreat-attack-retreat-attack-retreat-attack-retreat-attack-retreat-attack-retreat-attack-retreat-attack-retreat-attack-retreat-attack-retreat-attack-retreat-attack-retreat-attack-retreat-attack-retreat-attack-retreat-attack-retreat-attack-retreat-attack-retreat-attack-retreat-attack-retreat-attack-retreat-attack-retreat-attack-retreat-attack-retreat-attack-retreat-attack-retreat-attack-retreat-attack-retreat-attack-retreat-attack-retreat-attack-retreat-attack-retreat-attack-retreat-attack-retreat-attack-retreat-attack-retreat-attack-retreat-attack-retreat gameplay at the start of matches.

The game can actually be fun if played with the right people. And I'd include ToJ members in that "right people" group. :D

Oh ok, I will give this game one more chance in that case. However, I have the feeling I will still feel the same way after playing some real matches in the game. I already know this type of game really isn't my forte of games. I never liked RTS games in the past. But I'll still give it one more try.

Btw Tek, congrats to you and your Wife on your first child to come!

Oh ok, I will give this game one more chance in that case. However, I have the feeling I will still feel the same way after playing some real matches in the game. I already know this type of game really isn't my forte of games. I never liked RTS games in the past. But I'll still give it one more try.

My story is very similar to teks experience. I was on the verge of uninstalling this game several times because I couldn't grasp on to why people would enjoy a game like this. You need to download teamspeak 3 and get on our live chat and play with us so we can explain how to play the game. Next time you play message me on AIM so we can play together.

Last edited:

I don't like RTS genre either.

I already know this type of game really isn't my forte of games. I never liked RTS games in the past.
I still have <3 for StarCraft II and other great RTS games, but I still feel compelled to point out that LoL is NOT a RTS.

But I'll still give it one more try.
Glad to hear it. :) Everyone else is leveling faster than me and I often feel like "the LoL intern" when playing with and against much more experienced and skilled players. My objective in any game is to not feed the enemy kills. If I can accomplish that, then in my mind, I've done a good job. :)

Thanks! She could make her debut any day now...

Last edited:
Yes, and we all know Wikipedia is the ultimate authority on all matters. -_-

LoL may be a competitive action RPG, but it's definitely not a RTS.

Edit: How, exactly, is LoL not an RTS? Controlling one unit versus hundreds doesn't define what an RTS is. LoL is in real time, and there certainly is strategy involved. :confused:
If we're going to use such lax parameters to define the genre, then we'll need to include World of WarCraft battlegrounds as a RTS as well. And Magicka. And Madballs in...Babo: Invasion. And any game where the player controls a single character, is able to improve said character through items and leveling progression, and is able to use that character to kill other characters or NPCs.

I'm not bashing LoL and I'm not saying there's isn't a strategy element involved. But it ain't an RTS. There's a lot of strategy to playing Team Fortress 2 competitively and it's played in real-time, but no one's claiming that TF2 is a RTS.

You're welcome to disagree, of course, but I still maintain that LoL is not a RTS. I can have my opinion, you can have yours; I'm less concerned with genres than whether a game is fun or not. :)

That's true, but perhaps we can all be right. Maybe LoL can be looked at as a hybrid between action RPG and RTS. But whether it's an RTS, action RPG or a mixture, I don't like either genre. I've been gaming since the Atari 2600 days in the 80s, and I've tried many different genres. I know what type of games I enjoy, and what type of games I don't. I never liked RTS or RPG. I did try a regular game of LoL, and I honestly didn't like it at all. I know I may not know a lot about the game, but I get the gist of it. It doesn't matter how good I'd get at it, I know I wouldn't enjoy this game. Even watching games on youtube of people who know what they are doing, I have absolutely zero interest in a game like this. I don't care for this type of game play, and it's simply not my type of game. To each their own.

Awh, I think your calling it quits too soon considering that I hated this game for the first three days I played. I really wish you would have gotten on teamspeak with us and played a game or two with me and danny. I remember I had absolutley zero intrest in this game and danny had to keep bugging me to play until I finally gave in : P

Trust me man, I know myself enough as a gamer that I wouldn't like this game if I continued playing it. I've tried RTS and RPG games in the past, and I never liked the gameplay. All it took was the tutorial, battle training, and a regular game of LoL to know I don't like this type of gameplay. These type of games always bored me and I had no interest in them. It's sort of similar to whatever genres you don't care for. If you felt one should give a game more of a chance even if there is no interest, then it would mean everyone should go out and play games that don't appeal to themselves. I'm sure there are many games you don't care for that you haven't extensively tried, and I doubt you would go and play them. We all know what we like and what has potential for interest. I'm sure you'd just stick with what you like best. I hope you see my point.

Last edited:
Trust me man, I know myself enough as a gamer that I wouldn't like this game if I continued playing it. I've tried RTS and RPG games in the past, and I never liked the gameplay. All it took was the tutorial, battle training, and a regular game of LoL to know I don't like this type of gameplay. These type of games always bored me and I had no interest in them. It's sort of similar to whatever genres you don't care for. If you felt one should give a game more of a chance even if there is no interest, then it would mean everyone should go out and play games that don't appeal to themselves. I'm sure there are many games you don't care for that you haven't extensively tried, and I doubt you would go and play them. We all know what we like and what has potential for interest. I'm sure you'd just stick with what you like best. I hope you see my point.

OK. it's no problem, I understand. Was just trying to look out for more games that we could play together. To be honest with you, I'm not an RPG guy either, but some of the RTS elements in the game are cool for me. Hopefully there will be more games you can play with us in the future. I'm sure were going to be having an Mortal Kombat forum for the upcoming MK game : )

OK. it's no problem, I understand. Was just trying to look out for more games that we could play together. To be honest with you, I'm not an RPG guy either, but some of the RTS elements in the game are cool for me. Hopefully there will be more games you can play with us in the future. I'm sure were going to be having an Mortal Kombat forum for the upcoming MK game : )

Yeah, being that you are a big Star Craft fan, the RTS elements in LoL would make it more likely for you to enjoy. But that type of gameplay has never been my cup of tea. The only type of strategy game I kind of liked was the turn-based strategy game Advance Wars. It wasn't my favorite type of game, but it still wasn't bad and I preferred it over RPG and RTS.

Oh yes, most definitely. Now Mortal Kombat is my type of game. I'm sure we'll have plenty of great times playing that game. And remember, we always have UMK3 and UT3, even though I always get my butt whooped. lolz

Actually, I'm wrong. There is one other game I totally forgot about that has real-time strategy elements and I like the game. It's the multiplayer mode of Brutal Legend. I've only played it a few times against the CPU AI. It's not my favorite type of game, but I did enjoy it the times I played. It has real-time strategy elements where you control a main character, and you claim various resources so you can build more units for an army. You can control them by using commands (defend, attack, and move). The overall goal is to destroy the enemies stage. Though this mode has those real-time strategy elements, it differs from games like Star Craft dramatically. The gameplay feels more like an action game, with real-time strategy elements. It has a completely different feel than other RTS games, which is why I like it. I also love the characters, environments, and music. Being a fan of metal, of course I'd like this game. It has such a "metal" feel to it.

I have it for 360, but Brian if you end up getting a ps3 for Mortal Kombat, I would also get Brutal Legend for ps3 if you're interested in playing that game in the future. Having RTS elements, you might like it. Check videos of Brutal Legend multiplayer on youtube sometime.

I can definitely see myself getting more involved with that game. I really have to start playing it more often. Man, I need to start playing a lot of games more often. I have so many games, but yet I don't get to play them often enough. I have a lot of single player games to catch up on. The only multiplayer game I play online anymore (besides when I play UT3 with you guys, and UMK3) is Black Ops. Other than that, whenever I go on my consoles, I usually play single player games, but it's not often enough. It's just overwhelming when I have so many games, so I have trouble deciding what game to stick to when I do get to play. lol

Last edited:
Back