Help!!! Tech help needed

Tath

Ok so my sons somehow dl'd a virus and it's pretty much wrecked m y computer.

so I used avg over and over, and each time it would say the virus's were gone then the next day they'd be back. I ended up doing a full system recovery taking my 3yr old computer back to scratch.

I'm currently reinstalling warhammer, but the problem I'm having now is with navigating in a web browser. whenever I go to a page that requires me to scroll down or over, it does it sooooo slow, like 3 fps and I can't figure out why?

I've stopped all unnecessary services from running in the background, and I still can't figure out.

it might be easier to just explain it so if anyone feels like they can help me i'll jump on vent. *(after I download it lol)

I appreciate any help!

first uninstall ALL security software...most computers come with security software as well..so the best thing is to take all of it off..reboot

install avg and update it

goto update.microsoft.com and install all critical updates..this will take severasl times
after that install all security updates and help updates under optional updates...you do not need silverlight and do not instlal any hardware updates.

check and make sure all drivers are up to date.

run disk cleanup and then run disk defragmenter...reboot

If you have the antivirus2009 worm, which keeps telling you via popups that you have spyware and should run its program... then you are hosed. Only way to be clear of it is to format the c: and reinstall windows. There are lots of sites telling you how to manually remove it, but trust me they don't work. The worm can stay in other parts of your drive and return a month later. Seen it happen a bunch.

I am a neighborhood-tech and last month I had to wipe 7+ PCs due to this worm. Only 1 was able to be cleaned without a format and that was because they had Kaspersky installed.

Last edited:
I reload my machine about once every 3-6 months. I load a lot of junk apps on it trying them out and removing the ones that don't work out for me. My general steps are below.
1. make a list of all the apps you need to reload.
2. make sure you have updated drivers(video, network and motherboard)
2.a. this includes things like sata and sound. things that are usually on the MB now days.
3. make sure you have all the important data backed up somewhere(ie. email, passwords, drivers)
4. start the rebuild of the OS by removing the partition and reformatting it.
5. once the OS is loaded load the important stuff(drivers, AV, firewall).
6. load updates(takes forever depending on the loaded SP)
7. load non-necessary apps(games)

this should take care of everything. this at least works for me.

Thanks for the speedy replies, I did everything you guys suggested and things are running close to normal now. I'm about to test Warhammer and make sure that's still gravy.

if something happened where I couldn't play that, it'd be all over but the crying :):eek:

hey can someone pm me the vent info again? I lost everything so I don't have it anymore

thank you.

Back